Installing XP after VISTA in DUAL BOOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_jimit

Journeyman
^^

Yup i will try that (coz if the TuT is any thing to go by as Jimit said) then I guess installation of Vista on XP is preety simple as compare to XP over Vista

:Off topic: I will d/load Vista via torrent first in a day or two and then post my results :D:D

Cheers n e-peace...

True,
i have done it 3-4 times.
Installing vista after installing xp is much easier.

put vista DVD in running xp,
"custom install" on other drive[ first install xp on C:\, then for vista select D: drive]
DO NOT USE UPGRADE xp to vista option in that.
U will get this menu every time u boot to choose

Earlier version of windows [means xp]
Windows Vista

u can also set auto select any os in vista, and time to show this menu.

joe2005

Broken In
1.How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide
2.How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first)
3.How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first)
*apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
Please reply me fast someone . . Its problem with my friend . . . He had vista preinstalled in his hp comp . . . Someone told him to install xp in its place . . So now there is a problem with his driver . . . I tried installing realtec audio but even after installin successfully com doesnt show any audio device . . I am telling him to do vista recovery . . . Will it be able to recover all the drivers after it . .he had made that recovery dvd some days ago . . And plus he has only one partition . . Will shrinking it be able to create new partitions . . . Please help . . . I have suggested to recover then shrink . . . What say guys . .0please reply quickly . .0thanks in advance

I forgot to add that he had only one partition so his vista is probably removed completely . . . Will vista recovery help here . . .

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ if u install vista and update it, it will automatically find the and install the necessary drivers.

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
relax man you appear to be tensed :).first of all mention the model number here.then we can help better.tell us what how he installed xp over vista.did he format everything and then installed xp or did he install it in a separate partition?.if he had installed it in a separate partition he wudnt hav lost any data ,just use bcdeditor or vista boot pro .reboot and u can dual boot vista and xp.
for sound drivers you MUST mention the model name.there are few workarounds to get the sound drivers correctly installed.:)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
can we make xp's boot.ini file to detect vista ? ( the case where u've installed xp after vista and vista doesnt appear in boot menu )

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
site seems to be down . . i'll check later. . .would you be kind enough to give a direct link ?

thanks again.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^^thanks. . the above link uses vista repairer to correct the mbr . .i would like xp's boot.ini to detect vista or somehow to get vista back without having to repair vista ( like writing BCD from xp ). . .

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
i found a way !

although not exactly what i was hoping for . . but nonetheless , its serves the same purpose.

*www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html

uses a soft called vistabootpro ..

vigneshwaran

Right off the assembly line
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –create {ntldr} –d “Description for earlier Windows version”

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can be "Windows XP” or “Windows Server 2003." Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldrDrive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

Instead of using these commands, I use a free software called "EasyBCD" to get rid of the problem.

OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer
you guys should stop spamming,, and read forum rules sreenidhi88 : the comment like yours can be a trouble for you...

well read the thread thoroughly... i myself have written that now easyBCD is available and there is no need of this... and this article was posted when VISTA just launched... see the date first..

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
you guys should stop spamming,, and read forum rules sreenidhi88 : the comment like yours can be a trouble for you...

well read the thread thoroughly... i myself have written that now easyBCD is available and there is no need of this... and this article was posted when VISTA just launched... see the date first..

thanks for reminding .it didnt realise to me wen i ws posting it.i thought it would strengthen the opinion.

@shantanu shouldn't you edit and mention it in the first post .?i dont know how i missed it:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom