installing ubuntu with win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit

Broken In
I've got win xp installed on my c: drive and wish to install the ubuntu version of linux on it.
Now I've got 2 drives c: and d: with ntfs format and I've also got partition magic.
So I've decided to split my d: drive in 2 partitions: 1 gb partition for ubuntu and the remaining for winxp. Now can someone tell me what shud be the format for the 1 gb partition for ubuntu, I mean shud it be in ntfs, fat,... or something else. Also if I split my d: drive using partition magic will it erase all the data on it, so shud I first copy everything on my d: drive to my c: drive and then split it?
Now once I've got my 1 gb of free disk space do I just boot from my ubuntu cd and do a fresh install on it?

Netjunkie

In the zone
Yaar gambit,

You have not posted the capacities of your drives clearly, however you can split your drives using the resize option in Partition Magic without erasing your data. I dont feel that 1 GB will be sufficient for Ubuntu, I installed Ubuntu today & the installation is well over 1GB. The partitions for Linux have to be in ext3 file system which you can either create from partition magic or while installing Ubuntu itself.

Boot from the Ubuntu install CD & start the installation but be carefull, if you use the default options then you will end up losing all your data, choose the expert installation mode & then proceed.

If you face any further problems post here.

OP
G

gambit

Broken In
I've a got a 40 gb hdd with 20-20gb on both drives. How much space shud I reserve for ubuntu. Also no matter how many times I try to create a partition on my d: drive or try to resize it I get a msg saying I need to reboot my pc but even after rebooting it there is no partition created. Cld u pls help me?

OP
G

gambit

Broken In
hey guys,
cld u give me a step by step guide as to installing ubuntu on my d: drive.
What I wld like to do is reserve some space from my d: drive say about 6 gbs only for ubuntu and the remaining shud be accessible by winxp. Partition magic doesn't seem to wrk on my pc so how do I create a partition with the ubuntu cd itself. Also once I've installd ubuntu will I be able to access my doc,mp3,.. files from my ubuntu partition?

Netjunkie

In the zone
Open Partition Magic, right click on your D drive, select "split" , Choose a drive letter for your new partition, on the size tab give new partition size as 6150 MB and click OK.

Just ensure that the data in your D drive is not beyond 12 GB, in such a case transfer some of your data to your C drive. If the system restarts you should see a message like "partition magic is performing the requested operations", do not cancel it.

Now you should be able to create a new partition. Post here after you are done & we can proceed to install Ubuntu.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Ubuntu should itself do the job of resizing/creating partitions. BTW, I installed ubuntu in a system after Xandros 3, and it recognised and installed ovwer it, and the GRUB now has three options - XP, Xandros and Ubuntu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom