installing FC6 problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
HI guys,my 1st query -i want install FC6 on my dell 640m laptop,is it possible.
my DELL laptop HARDWARE details:-
Processor:--T2400 1..83GHz core duo
Ram:-----512MB 533MHz
HDD:---SATA 80GB Fujitsu
Optical Drive:philips Combo
Bios:---27d60609 phoenix ver 1.10

2nd query Download FC6 fro where,plzz send lik.
i'm waiting 4 ur reply guys.
ThanX in Advance:-x

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't think there will be any problem with the hardware. Download link - *fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download

praka123

left this forum longback
it is possible.but i have a suggestion-why dont u get Ubuntu Edgy or Debian Testing or if u want kde then kubuntu is there na?one CD only and you can set apt tool to get more than 15000+ packages!.:eek:
*www.ubuntu.com/desktop

OP
LEARNER_LEARNER

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
I don't think ubuntu 4 new user nd ubunu best distro in the world.My linux os Fedora bcoz FEDORA CORE it'l be a good learning experience.u r right prakash kerala 15,000packages Fc only 9,000 but i love FC.what u think.thanX 4 reply.:D

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
i been wondering, whats this hype, ubuntu and most other distros come in 1 cd and almost everything needed is already there, but fc and suse come in 5 cds, what they got so special which make them 5 cds instead of 1 ??

mehulved

different distros suit different people but those who don't have much knowledge of unix then they can go for either of these - FC, Suse, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Mepis. There's nothing much really b/w them to choose for a newbie, just what you are comfortable with, use that.
I am comfortable with Debian based distros so I use that, people like desertwind love FC, so he sticks to it, Satissh and eddie, from this forum, prefer non-binary distros so they use Gentoo or sometimes slackware.
i been wondering, whats this hype, ubuntu and most other distros come in 1 cd and almost everything needed is already there, but fc and suse come in 5 cds, what they got so special which make them 5 cds instead of 1 ??
Nothing that can't be downloaded from net on Ubuntu.

Last edited:
OP
LEARNER_LEARNER

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
U r right tech_your_future but everybody says Ubuntu only 4 new user nd easy linux os but my point of view FC easy os in linux world.i'm new linux user nd working FC from 6th months.
i'm rankink some destro-max 10 points
FC--------8:D
ubuntu--- 6:confused:

kubuntu---6:-(
ok.Thanx 4 reply:D

mehulved

Well it's just a matter of personal perception. For me FC comes 3rd last in all the distros I have used, just above linspire and Mandriva. I'd just give it 4/10.
It will go on differing from people to people. You are right in your way and I am right in mine.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Chester said:

Ehehe, actuall what all I usually need, is not on the CD. Found in the edgy dvd though :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Chester said:
Its not hype, Ubuntu may come in one cd but it hardly has any packages. So you will end up with hours of downloading after installation. Did you know that a more complete Ubuntu DVD is available?!

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
as mehul said, it's just a matter of personal preferance. ppl always ask me, even after working on gnu for so many years, why i'm preferring fedora, why not debian or gentoo. I don't have a problem with debian or gentoo, in fact I was using sabayon for last few weeks, which is based on gentoo. But every bosy will have a confort zone, and I find mine in fedora. It's just a matter of few days to find yours.

OP
LEARNER_LEARNER

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
But Fedora is Entrprsies edition nd differnt from another distro bcoz i think u r learning from "hard platform(FEDORA):D" u r better in linux world bcoz u faced many problem nd u've greate knowledge.m i right guys
ThanX 4 reply

mediator

Technomancer
Chester said:

Different Linux distros suit different situations and people. Like I have fedora on my primary PC (DEsktop PC), but I have Ubuntu on Laptop.

I personally favour Fedora and give it the top rank. The difference between the 2 disros is fedora is montrously bundled in 4-5 cds and Ubuntu comes in one cd. But again both have heir pros and cons.

Since both are linuxes, it doesn't matter which one is special. But on my primary PC, I have allocated 50 GB to Linux. Fedora is my workstation. I do all the software testing and install new apps, download songs, videos etc everything on it. right now it says only 10 GB free in ext3 root partition. Every new software I find on net which I find useful I just install it on Fedora.

But Ubuntu is a lightwieght distro. It can also be used on my primary PC too, but I won't like to download the whole lotta stuff for Ubuntu. e. Fedora comes bundled with Kde,Gnome both and Ubuntu with gnome, Kubuntu with KDe,Knoppix with kde etc. And installing Kde or Gnome would be like downloading 400 Mb or more. WEll given the speed of present broadbands which we home users can afford, its quite obvious that we would like to download minimum. I usually download Ubuntu CD ( coz it can be downloaded in one day ) and install Fedora when Digit or CHip provides it. And when I install fedora I get to download only a little extra and install minimum.

Now from Laptop point of view. It has 40 Gb capacity and only 10 Gb allocated to UbuntuEdgy. I can't even afford to install complete fedora here. Yea u can mark packages manually, but who wants to do that? I usually select everything under installation. So if even if I install everything under Ubuntu I know it wont take more than 4 GB. WEll I guess it took 2 GB in default/everything installation. And then u can download thestuff that is required by u. So Ubuntu perfectly suits my laptop needs.

In fedora there are so many softwares installed now that I don't even remember which one was used for what!

But I guess all leading distros are the same.

Last edited:

mehulved

LEARNER_LEARNER said:
But Fedora is Entrprsies edition nd differnt from another distro bcoz i think u r learning from "hard platform(FEDORA):D" u r better in linux world bcoz u faced many problem nd u've greate knowledge.m i right guys
ThanX 4 reply
What? Fedora hardly has any connection with RHEL. Fedora is maintained by community just backed by Red Hat. RHEL and FC have a very few developers in common.
What in the world is a hard platform?
There are more developers for Debain based distros than for Fedora that makes available a wider array of software on them and better tested.
In open source world it never is paid == better. That theory is left behind in the proprietory world.
Red Hat is mainly prefered in servers cos they give support. As of now no debian based distro gives enterprise level support.
There's nothing to choose between any distro except which one you are comfortable with cos now-a-days the difference is just the way they perform on the outside otherwise there's a lot in common, though still there are quite a few differences. This part you will understand as you spend time with linux.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
@mediator thx for the detailed info
just read on wikipedia that out of the 5 cds only first 2 are needed.

is that true?

Source --> *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_Core

mediator

Technomancer
^^May be for the minumum installation, I dunno coz I usually select everything when installing Fedora and then disable the unneeded services. It may be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom