Install O.S without Formatting ur Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
I don't know if this tutorial will help anyone but it helped me....

In this tutorial I will show u a way to install ur OS without formatting ur drive....coz formatting a drive reduces its life..

First chose a live linux CD/DvD...I recommend Puppy linux coz its easy to use...
Then burn it on a CD/DvD...

Backup everything in ur OS drive to some other partition.....this includes my documents,my pictures,my music,desktop etc.

Now reboot ur pc with the live cd in the optic drive(set the 1st boot device to cd/DvD rom)

Now let linux start...it might take a while......

Now click on drives and then mount it....

Then delete the following folders "Windows" "Programfiles"'Doucments and Settings" in the OS drive....

After that is done reboot ur PC with the Windows XP CD in the optic drive........

Now during the XP setup select the same drive.....

Now select "Keep the current file system intact (Do not format)"

Now just continue with the XP setup...
U should be done............................

In this way u are installing ur OS without formatting ur disk as formatting reduces the drive's life

NOTE:Before deleting ur OS first check if u are able to use the linux distro..

Do not delete the MBR files

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
OP
samrulez

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
kumarmohit said:
Who told you that formatting a harddrive reduces its life????

Well re-formatting a hard disk does decrease its life....if u don't believe me read this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29273

fanatic

Broken In
Now select "Keep the current file system intact (Do not format)"

This option also comes without the need of putting the Linux CD or anything

Just put the Windows XP CD .. and when you select a partition on which Windows is already installed .. and you want to again install Windows on it,

You will get the option

"Keep the current file system intact (Do not format)"

So can u please explain why a Linux CD is needed here?

And HDD formatting doesnt decrease HDD's drive. U can format a harddrive once a month .. it wont give u any problems..

Vyasram

The pWnster
Full Formatting ur hdd reduces itz life.
Unless u use the Quick Format option(itz not that harmless)

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
formatting doesn't affect the drive that much, you don't format every day, but re partitioning regualrly may create problems or something

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Formatting doesnt spoil drives, whoever made you think it...

And what if my drives are NTFS? No linux live can erase data on it...

And for reinstalling, I do it so as to install a fresh copy. so a re-format is absolutely necessary. And what about the registries of the progs already installed? Go do a reformat, its the cleanest way of reinstall... no hecks no troubles...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
and for the records, I reformat almost each week (my reasons..) still the drives's health hasnt gone even a % down from 86 when I brought it 2 months ago.

blackpearl

The Devil
You are misinformed, buddy. Formatting doesn't reduce the life of a hard disk, whether its full format or quick format. Formatting is basically a write operation, so there is no harm done to your HD unless you keep formatting your HD say, about 10 times a day!! Infact its a good idea to format your hard disk every now and then to keep it clean of junk and making your OS faster.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Helloooo? what the heck?

formatting is nothing but writing of zeros on the disk and a empty filetable/fat etc

full formatting is just like writing/copying an empty drive with a file equal in size to the drives size...

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
so, guys ..according to u there is no harm in formatting harddrive.................my vendor told me that i had developed bad sectors in my drive due to formatting again and again.............i think about 10 times in 2 years...........now please tell me if there is harm in formatting as i donot want to take risk with my new HDD

blackpearl

The Devil
Hey! never believe those vendors. They talk crap.

Formatting never develops bad sectors. Bad sectors are physical damage caused to the disk surface usually because of bad alignment of the disk platters or the arm holding the read/write head. It can be caused by some physical impact inflicted upon the HD or it could be some manufacturing defect. Usually HD tends to develop a few bad sectors during its life time, which is quite OK as long as the amount of these bad sectors are small. You don't have to worry just now, but keep an eye on those bad sectors. If those bad sectors were formed due to some physical defect of the HD, more bad sectors may develop in future. If that happens, backup all your data and be prepared for a HD crash!!!

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
hehhahah change the name of the thread to formatting tuts..... ;)
Any ways for he record formatting doesnot have any effect on the HDD......
BTW which thread he has reffered to whic says formatting reduces like of HDD???

sanjubuddy

Right off the assembly line
soory dude, reformatting drive don't really affects the drive: as in my case i am using 30 day version of Windows professional and other softwares tools which expires after every month so i need to reformat my PC every month ..and still my PC condition is far better as compared to bundled PC
i am using HCL beanstalk which came with Home edition with 256 MB rAM

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
sanjubuddy said:
soory dude, reformatting drive don't really affects the drive: as in my case i am using 30 day version of Windows professional and other softwares tools which expires after every month so i need to reformat my PC every month ..and still my PC condition is far better as compared to bundled PC
i am using HCL beanstalk which came with Home edition with 256 MB rAM
Lol you use XP w/o activation? Haha keep formatting ;)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
QwertyManiac said:
Lol you use XP w/o activation? Haha keep formatting ;)

but atleast is legal & not pirated like are other friends here.what he formats every month.by doing this his learning formatting & becomeing expert in it.LOL:D:D:D

pnd

Right off the assembly line
People have got lots of time to format/install applications/configure each month or i hope he is using norton ghost or something similar

casanova

The Frozen Nova
@gary4gar
How do u come to know sanjubuddy is using a legal copy. If he is having a legal copy then y isnt he activating it thru microsoft.

1 more vote formatting doesnt affect the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom