info about kubuntu 5.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Lifted from: [url said:
*wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu]Xfce4[/url] has been supported in Ubuntu's universe by the MOTUXfce team since Hoary and Breezy. For Dapper we want to go one step further and make Xubuntu a sibling of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu by having install and live CD images generated for it. We haven't decided on a release date, but it should be as close as possible to Dapper's and should use the latest stable Xfce 4.X code (hopefully 4.4 will be released by then)

Xubuntu is already available. It is not a different distro. It is same ubuntu base with xfce on top of it. Same goes with kubuntu(Kde on top) and ubuntu(Gnome on top). Xubuntu will be released separately (ubuntu preconfigured with xfce dekstop) with the dapper. If someone wants to use Xubuntu then install ubuntu/kubuntu and then install xfce4 desktop from the repository.

Cheers!! Another reason to use Ubuntu!!

eddie

El mooooo
Every DE is good for someone or other. Yes XFCE is quite light but obviously it doesn't have all the bells-whistles. People even like minimalistic WMs. Even ratpoison suffices for a few but that doesn't mean it will work for you as well. You can only know whether it is good for you, after you've tried it.

Satissh S

Youngling
Here is a XFCE screenie, that i'am using in my LFS,
Here
XFCE "the cholestrol free DE" :)
On the right you see mozilla, and on the left it's Xine - compilation.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
btw, anyone got bluetooth successfully working under any linux distro (i mean all the features, not just file transfer)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
So infra what you stuck on now?
I can't seem to get past that stupid error on gentoo. I might install Ubuuntu again for few days so i can try out what you want. Not sure of GPRS as my sis may have disabled it.

Satissh S

Youngling
@planet , Infra: What distro do guys use? (K,X)ubuntu?
XFCE is extremely fast on my system coz i compiled it with some strict optimisations.
Also the XFCE installer itself compiles and installs XFCE and it does not copy the binaries. You'll get a very-fast DE.

@mehul: How did you post that b4 me? :roll: :lol:
What are you using now? What's DA problem?

mehulved

I have installed Knoppix on my hard drive while I get my gentoo documentation printed out. Will install gentoo then.
My problem is wid kdebluetooth. I replaced the pin_helper entry in hcid.conf to /usr/lib/kbluepin. But, the warning still pops up and the warning freezes up so I cannot do anything about it. i have to kill kbluetoothd to kill the warning too. So, I cannot use bluetooth at all.
BTW infra and planet are using Kubuntu. And howz ur LFS going along? What happened to MPlayer?

Satissh S

Youngling
Fine no probs,
1. Configured Alsa.
2. Replaced 2.4 kernel wid 2.6.12
3. Installed Grub
4. Installed XFCE
5. Installed a few MM Players n Realplayer n Acroread (damn) :(.
6. Mozilla configured and working.
7. Will be Installing FF, thunderbird, X-chat, Sunbird today night :)
Now the biggest prob is how do i burn CD's n DVD's? Configured everything without kde and now what to do for k3b? :roll:

mehulved

You can install K3B without KDE, I have seen that on Ubuntu and it works fine. But, then if you install KDE on Ubuntu everything breaks. So, choose wisely or you can try out arson it is quite good too. Though not K3B. K3B simply rocks.

eddie

El mooooo
tech_your_future said:
You can install K3B without KDE
No you can not.

I have seen that on Ubuntu and it works fine.
That is what is wrong with binary distros. They don't tell you what all they install on your system without your knowledge. Especially things like synaptic, urpmi, yast etc. Probably devil invented them...
Anyways you should check the requirements of K3B
*k3b.plainblack.com/requirements
See the top two requirements? You might not need full fledged KDE but you definitely need base libraries and that is a huge compile.

Satissh S

Youngling
Any good CD, and DVD writers for X.
I smell xcdroast, but it doesn't write dvd's as well. NeroLinux Sucks, bigtime.

mehulved

Yup I know about those requirements. And I know it is not a good idea either. Anyway how about arson?

Satissh S

Youngling
Nothin in particular, but i had 2.4 kernel sources in one of my old cd's available, so wanted to try it out, b4 d/l a 2.6 kernel.

eddie

El mooooo
Satissh S said:
Any good CD, and DVD writers for X.
I smell xcdroast, but it doesn't write dvd's as well. NeroLinux Sucks, bigtime.
I don't think you have much choice there. Anything better then both of them at writing DVDs would be a GUI for DVD+RW-tools which means either K3B or Nautilus-CD-Burner. Then there is GnomeBaker as well. In short...KDE or Gnome but you don't have any of them. So choices are very limited for you.

tech_your_future said:
Anyway how about arson?
A KDE application, does not write DVDs and is dead to say the least (if not buried). Last release was in 2003. I don't think he is looking for something like that.

mehulved

If you aren't installing any DE's then you better go with them. They're your best bet now. Let's see if we can stumble upon something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom