info about kubuntu 5.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i haf been using fedora core 4 since quite sometime. i now wish to switch over to kubuntu 5.10. i'm not that conversant wid the debian variants. tho i've used ubuntu (via the live cd) i'm not that expert on the debian side.

i mainly wanna switch over coz of lower disk usage (i'm a bit low on disk usage). i haf a 2.5gb partition for linux root. fc4 is a huge installation, more than 50% of which i haf never used and will never need. doing a custom installation didn't solve the problem. the install is still huge. my basic needs are: office suite (openoffice preferably), an email client, browser (firefox pref), media player (xmms,mplayer et al), kde (i love eye candy), C libs (for compiling progs). i can install media players,browsers etc. but is openoffice bundled i nkubuntu 5.10? wot are the package contents? i'll be installing it on my laptop compaq presario 2517at (p4 2.8, ati igp 345m, 256ddr,ali 5451 soundcard, ns nic, ti pcmcia, ali IR etc) the hardware support of fc4 is very good. can i expect the same in kubuntu?

please advise.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Openoffice 2.0 is bundled with Kubuntu 5.10
amarok 1.3.2 -- audio player -- no mp3/wma
kaffeine -- video player but no codecs..

Kubuntu /Ubuntu has a better harware support than FC ...

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
oh one more thing, are the kernel sources included wid kubuntu iso installation that came wid digit in the past month?

codecs and xmms (mp3 player) no problem. i'll install them. wot about firefox version?

thanks for the quick reply.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
In Ubuntu 5.10 mp3 support is included with xmms. I guess all debain based systems have mp3 support out of the box. Seen it in Ubuntu, Knoppix, Debian so I guess Kubuntu will have it too. For C libs I guess default install will not install it. You will have to select it manually when installing. Also, rmember to do manual partition cos atleast in Ubuntu they have warned that default installer uses full hard disk. I have found best hardware support with Ubuntu than any other distro I've used. I had downloaded KDE in my Ubuntu, it was performing well.
Defualt browser is FF.
Also, installing extra software is very easy using 'apt-get'. No dependacy problems, all will be handled by apt-get.
I guess kernel sources are included in the cd but am not so sure.
You will get basic and usable system at installation but installing additional software using portage system is very easy uin any debian based system.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
right then i'm proceeding wid kubuntu 5.10 installation right away! thanks for the replies! i will do a manual installation.

ps:eek:h one more Q, forgot to ask about it. the gcc bundled wid fc4 is blacklisted and has a lot of difficulty compiling programs. wot version of gcc is bundled wid (k)ubuntu? any problems compiling the progs/kernel?

mehulved

It isn't only FC4. The problem lies with GCC 4.x. The GCC team has made drastic changes from GCC 3.x to GCC 4.x. So, some softwares do not compile properly with GCC 4.x.
Ubuntu/Kubuntu lets you choose the version you want to install. So go ahead installing version 3.x. Actually, it won't make much difference if you are going to use native deb packages using apt-get or synaptic. It only causes problem if you want to add additional packages from source and compile them. Actually, I never found any problems with CGG 4.0.2 even while installing softwares from source, but just to be on safer side use GCC 3.x

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
STAY AWAY FROM KUBUNTU!!! - trust me on this one kubuntu is buggy! Very buggy, there are plenty of stuff thats broken.
However having said that, kubuntu is the distro i use (sometimes), so it can be used once you get a little accustomed to.
A much better way to get kubuntu is : first get ubuntu, then use 'aptitude kde-base' to get kde.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
when I use ubuntu I use both Gnome and Kde....Since I like Gnome as a Desktop environent and kde for its apps...

mehulved

Well I dunno if it is a good idea to install KDE on Ubuntu. Cos I had done it. After installing KDE, some programs dependant on KDE, which were running fine earlier started giving problems. And later i couldn't log into KDE and after some time GNOME, too! I could only use Enlightenment. Then I did format it anyway as I wanted to try out Gentoo.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
alrite i'm back. need ur help guys. overall i'm satisfied. things i need help at.

me installed wid the default options (just pressed enter at boot screen). this gave me absolutely no choice for custom installation. almost everything was installed. saw that gcc was installed by default. but when i tried to compile xmms got this error: glibc is not installed. please install it first. opened adept and saw that glibc was indeed installed. couldn't find the path to it, tho. none of the programs compile!

mozilla firefox is not there on the cd, neither is it installed. i miss it very much. but then i can probably download and install it. thats not a problem. i removed most of the useless chinese/korean et all fonts and this removed the x-server! i double checked that i hadn't removed it. now i gotta install x-server again. couldn't install any mp3 codec. none compiles.

also hardware detection is flawless! every hardware was perfectly detected (tho i hafnt tested bluetooth and firewire). but the power management is something which needs to be worked on. the fans whirl at full speed all the time, even if the system is idle as if there is 100% cpu usage. the next problem is swap. i've alloted about 530mb swap. but the usage is always 0% no matter how much i load the system!

kubuntu gurus, i need ur help and advice. i'm determined to make kubuntu work for me! i've decided to install kubuntu again after taking the relavent advices.

mehulved

Infra no need to complie any things in your system. Do not install or remove anything on your system manually, this causes dependancy problems. I guess bluetooth will be detected properly, mine was.
You need to turn the swap on using the swapon command.
Are you sure firefox wasn't installed, cos Ubuntu packs firefox with it. The packaging and icons seem different.
Anyways, you can install or remove any programs by selecting or deselecting them from synaptic. Or you can use apt-get. Have a look here at how to use apt-get in Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
You can have a look at ubuntu guide itself for answers on how to use the system, it will be similar for Kubuntu, too.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah i'll do that. the gui front end for package management is Adept. also, FF aint installed, neither is present on the cd.

mehulved

Ok yeah they use Adept for Kubuntu instead of Synaptic for Ubuntu. So, you can use it to download all the required softwares. If the softwares you need aren't listed there than you can use apt-get. Compiling from the source should be the ast option as debian(and systems based on debians) have a very good repository.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah...but as i told you..the compiler gives error that glibc is not installed even tho it is.

also to get a custom installtion should i use the "expert" option?

praka123

left this forum longback
Get Ubuntu yaar's.if U want to run kdeapps,apt-get kdelibs and qt.. and run.Ubuntu must be have gnome as DE..
@infra./..:
U can press F1-F10 for valid boot options available while booted with [k]Ubuntu..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom