info about kubuntu 5.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
one Q about the package repository, i can install so many packages from adept. it never asked for the source cd. are all the installation files copied on the hdd during install? aint it a wastage of space?

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey folks, this unofficial guide answers a lot of Qs. kubuntu comes wid less software than ubuntu!

*kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html#pkgtablestock

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Kubuntu may have lesser software due to bigger size of KDE and its components compared to GNOME.
About package repository, I do think so too but never really bothered to verify that. If it is so, then it is a waste of space. But, I feel that the developers are trying to make it as easy and quick as possible to install extra packages now that they want to penetrate into the corporate market in higher number.
Also, the great news is that from the next release(Dapper Drake?) shipit will be shipping Kubuntu along with Ubuntu for free. And GUI installer. That will be gr8.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
hey, infra red dude...

just goto adept. file-> manage repositories

there will be a list of repositories avlble, right click them and enable them
now click apply and close
and on the main adept page click on refresh (fetch all)

that is all.. now u will have many new packages like Firefox, thunderbird and XMMS player which will be dowbnloaded over internet.. ;)

hope it helps...

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah. thanks for the info! :) btw, when we use apt-get the package alongwid other packages on which the software depends are downloaded off the net. but where are the installation files saved? i mean, if i need to reload the OS again then will i hafta download all over again or can i copy the downloaded installation files to some backup media?

i installed the os again, this time i did the expert install and chose not to install the package installation files to /var folder. this saved about 400mb of disk space. now if i wanna install a package, i just pop in the installation cd. also there is no custom installation even in expert mode!

i find this distro quite good as almost everything works outta box! the main thing missing is only FF! other than that its a lightweight (compared to FC,suse etc) and excellant distro.

i'm not downloading/installing any software via apt-get now coz i'm on a slow gprs connection now. i'll do it once i get home. btw, i downloaded realplayer 10. hope it'll get installed widout any dependency problems. all in all its a good distro! :)

planetcall

Indian by heart
Kubuntu has less softwares in the repository? Kubuntu is not a different OS. It is the same as ubuntu but the only difference is the KDE. I converted my ubuntu to kubuntu recently as I always have been an avid KDE lover. I can also install XFCE to call it Xubuntu if you like :p
I do agree Ubuntu is better than fedora etc. I used Synaptic on Gnome and am using the same thing on KDE. apt-get and its gui i.e. Synaptic are cool.

mehulved

@planetcall do you have any problems running KDE apps on GNOME in Ubuntu. I had installed KDE as well as enlightenment in Ubuntu. This started giving me problems. Whenever I ran KDE based apps on GNOME, it used to give me error that DCOP_SERVER not running. After a few days I could not even log into KDE and later GNOME too. It used to say that write permission was denied to some file. I even chmod +w the file but thogh the write permission was given still the problem persisted and then I removed Ubuntu.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
nope i didn't say that kubuntu has less apps in its repository. actually there is no specific kubuntu repository!! it uses the ubuntu repository. wot i said was that less number of apps were included in the iso install image.

installed mpg123 and realplayer10gold widout any hassles! also figured out that the packages downloaded thru apt-get are stored in /var/cache/apt-get

i actually reinstalled the os again. dunno how but now the power management features are working fine! :) had installed in expert mode. installed all the clibs, gcc etc. hafnt compiled any prog to test it tho. this time bluetooth worked perfectly to transfer files! :) how do i enable my bluetooth phone (k700i) to be used as a modem for surfing the net thru gprs? i fired up kppp and added modem as /dev/rfcomm0,1,2 but it failed to detect the phone modem. is there any way?

btw, during install it asked for an admin password and a root password. i kept both the same and also created a normal user wid restricted previlage. now when i wanna modify any settings logged in as normal user it asks for admin password. when i give it correctly, it gives me a login error! anyone faced this problem?

i added the normal user to the sodoers list via the visudo command. but now sudo doesn't work! it says parse error in line 0. i removed wot i had appended. but still i get that error! please help.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i configured gprs connection. almost done. only thing i'm facing problems is that i'm unable to pair the phone and the computer. no matter wot pin i give it doesn't get paired. tried 1234 (thats wot is give in /etc/bluetooth/pin), 00 ,0000...nothing works. has anyone been successful in this?

btw, if anyone wants instructions on setting up a gprs lemme know, i'll be glad to help! :)

mehulved

I guess you will have to configure a file in /opt/kde/bluetooth or something similar. In that file you will have to replace kdebluetoothd's pin instead or bluez pin. Do google on it. Or remind me tomorrow. I am feeling too lazy to google today. I had done that and was successfully able to pair up my sister's nokia 3230 wid my debian box.
And yeah there's a thread running here where someone wants to connect to GPRS using his cell.

mehulved

Well your other post reminded me.
You need to edit /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf so that the default pin is kdebluetooth's pin instead of bluez's pin. Once that is done the pin wil work. The pin lies in /usr/lib/kdebluetooth.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i couldn't get thru it. let me know tomorrow how u did it. my phone (se k700i) aint accepting the pin. if i try to run the script /usr/bin/bluepin it gives me a gtk error saying locale not supported!

yeah i replied to that thread. gave instructions on how to configure gprs. didn't quite wok wid my phone. hope it works wid his phone.

mehulved

I am also having that same problem. It creeps up every time you install kdebluetooth framewor kor bluez. I am looking around for the solution again and once I get it I will sirely give it to you too.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well i edited the hcid.conf file and placed the kbluepin as pin_helper. now i can pair my phone wid my lappy. sometimes while pairing it doesn't ask for pin in my lappy but my phone askes for pin. i manually run the kbluepin and give a pin and the same in the phone.

this way i can pair the two. no probs pairing them but i can't use the dialup feature. i can select the modem and it is detected fine but when i try to dial it says "modem error. modem is locked"...i think i need to research more in this field to get around this problem.

@tech ur future: where are u getting stuck?

mehulved

I did replace the pin_helper in hcid conf but still I get the message to replace the pin and that message gets stuck as soon as its executed so I can't cancel it either and I have to kill the process which exits my kdebluetoothd too.
Reguading your problem on using bluetooth phone as modem, you can check out the links I've posted in the other thread. That might help you. Hopefully that helps.

mehulved

I mean the I edited the pin entry as /usr/lib/kbluepin that's where it lies on Knoppix. Still whenever I start kbluetoothd, it pops up a message to replace the pin. And that message freezes up as soon as it pops up. You can do nothing but kill it.

planetcall

Indian by heart
tech_your_future said:
@planetcall do you have any problems running KDE apps on GNOME in Ubuntu. I had installed KDE as well as enlightenment in Ubuntu. This started giving me problems. Whenever I ran KDE based apps on GNOME, it used to give me error that DCOP_SERVER not running. After a few days I could not even log into KDE and later GNOME too. It used to say that write permission was denied to some file. I even chmod +w the file but thogh the write permission was given still the problem persisted and then I removed Ubuntu.

Yes, I have been playing with GDM and KDM for a while. The insane game finally broke Gnome. I cant use it anymore and am not a Linux guru. I could have fixed this problem but I dont want to delve into it right now. KDE works fine for me. I did use some KDE apps on Gnome without any problem before switching over.

mehulved

planetcall that's good enough that your KDE is running becasue on my system both GOME and KDE broke. And do make a back up of any important files u got in case anything goes wrong with KDE,too like it happened to me.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
planetcall said:
Kubuntu has less softwares in the repository? Kubuntu is not a different OS. It is the same as ubuntu but the only difference is the KDE. I converted my ubuntu to kubuntu recently as I always have been an avid KDE lover. I can also install XFCE to call it Xubuntu if you like :p
I do agree Ubuntu is better than fedora etc. I used Synaptic on Gnome and am using the same thing on KDE. apt-get and its gui i.e. Synaptic are cool.

Hmm XUbuntu is an ongoing project and will be released either along with or soon after Drapper release!!!
More details : *wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom