India's internet growth highest in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet Growth

Google’s CEO Eric Schmidt and Yahoo! co-founder Jerry Yang seemed to have got it spot on when they predicted that India will emerge among the top Internet markets in the world in the next 10 years.

A study by US-based comScore Networks, a global Internet information provider, says India’s Internet population growth of 33 per cent has been the highest globally. In absolute numbers, it has moved from 15 million to 21 million — a figure much lower than the 37 million users estimated by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) in September. That is because the comScore study discounts access from public computers such as Internet cafes.

In terms of engagement (average hours per visitor), however, India doesn’t figure in the top 10. Canada leads, followed by Israel, South Korea, the US and the UK.

*www.businessworld.in/issue/images/images/news/order.gif

thecyclone2k

In the zone
That's something obvious. This had to happen after the introduction of true broadband in India. If more freedom, i.e. more speed, less price, least restrictions, are given, there would be mroe than 33% growth!

lalam

In the zone
^^ Yep agree with cyclone India is a developing country afterall and its only meant to be.......

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
gaurav_indian said:
kya fyada iska.We arent getting high speed. :mad:

The more the number of users the more will be the speed given...Just now BSNL has opened up 2 mbps even though they havent allowed unlimited...Atleast they have upped it,now Airtel is following..Just think of the situation like if there was only one company then we wont even see 256 Kbps.. It will take atleast a year or two for companies to give true unlimited broadband...We cant do anything till that time but wait

T

thunderbird.117

Very funny. Out off all the countries india is the only country that has the lowest speed that is 256 Kbps. Even 512 is not common either. Also the cost on the broadband is very costly than other countries.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
pathiks said:
we hav the highest % growth... not the highest growth in numbers... :(

That will take time man...In Bangalore I enquired for a BSNL connection for my friend & the person told me that "You come after 9-12 months only ... sorry...already there are 1 lakh pending connections for BSNL in Bangalore Vijayanagar exchange"...Now I dont doubt that for the numbers to grow the connections will have to be made & by the looks of that even the connections here are very tough to get

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
piyush gupta said:
yarr here govt. is not that active
look at US there govt is fully supporting

Dude Govt only announced high speed 2 Mbps internet & that is the reason we are having it...Otherwise would you ever have expected BSNL to launch 2 mbps???And even Airtel was taken unawares..That is the reason still they dont have official announcement of their new plans...Govt cant just put 10 mbps line on us I guess...they need to have that much bandwidth...well u can say Indian Govt=Partial Interest..hehe

hailgautam

Youngling
India starts from a small base, hence the growth rates sound phenomenal...but the absolute numbers are quite low, and further compare it to the overall population...it is even small...

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
kirangp said:
Dude Govt only announced high speed 2 Mbps internet & that is the reason we are having it...Otherwise would you ever have expected BSNL to launch 2 mbps???And even Airtel was taken unawares..That is the reason still they dont have official announcement of their new plans...Govt cant just put 10 mbps line on us I guess...they need to have that much bandwidth...well u can say Indian Govt=Partial Interest..hehe

hey let private companies what bandwidth they wanna provide

Reliance will give u home plan 10MBPS/max. 1000Rs.

but its our govt...:( :( :(

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
piyush gupta said:
hey let private companies what bandwidth they wanna provide

Reliance will give u home plan 10MBPS/max. 1000Rs.

but its our govt...:( :( :(

As far as I know,private compaaniees have full liberty to provide as much bandwidth they want to give..Govt is not stopping them
Reliance has not entered due to their personal reasons I guess & I have lost confidence in them after seeing their mobile debacle.I know that they own a very large optical fiber network but I doubt they will do any good to the broadband sector
And by the time we get 10 mbps for 1000 Rs it will be 5-6 more years but not before that..

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Gud news,but when we are increasing our bandwidth speed.Use on dial-up is of limited use for the country.

Last edited:

abhi1301

gEttIn 0uT@@@ BOXX
dudes the lowest speed available in US is 11 mbps .. so w potentially have no reason to b happy , with every 6th person in the world being an indian we have highest growth rate that is all

OP
W

Wannabe_a_techie

Broken In
The news item also says

In terms of engagement (average hours per visitor), however, India doesn’t figure in the top 10. Canada leads, followed by Israel, South Korea, the US and the UK.

So we aren't spending enough time on the internet...this is probably due to the high cost. For such low broadband <2mbps we have to pay a high price. The poor guys still using dial-up are much worse off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom