Indian woman dies in Ireland after being denied abortion.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Really sad.

Pregnant Indian woman dies after 'Catholic' Ireland refuses abortion

A 31-year-old Indian woman died in Ireland from blood poisoning after doctors allegedly refused to perform an abortion stating "this is a Catholic country".

Irish authorities have launched a probe into the death of Savita Halappanavar, a dentist, who was 17 weeks pregnant and suffering a miscarriage and septicaemia at University Hospital Galway last month, The Irish Times reported today.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar, an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, said that she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated.

Praveen said having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Savita asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, "this is a Catholic country".

The dead foetus was later removed and Savita was taken to the high dependency unit and then the intensive care unit, where she died of septicaemia on October 28.

An autopsy carried out two days later found she died of septicaemia "documented ante-mortem" and E.coli ESBL.

A hospital spokesperson confirmed the Health Service Executive had begun an investigation while the hospital had also instigated an internal investigation.

Abortion is illegal in the Republic of Ireland.

Hrishi

Yes read about this in papers. Sad indeed.
It has also raised questions on such practices.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well...for one, the reason they have stated can be subject to misinterpretation. By saying "This is a catholic country", they meant that abortion is illegal (which it is). However, people might interpret this as only Catholics will be treated and not non-catholics. That is why this news has got so much attention, IMHO.

Edit : This is why governments need to be completely secular.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
such a rubbish religion based law that takes away a human life which could have been saved , west too has stigma of religion we are not alone

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
uhhhh... i think the fetus ws already dead and the lady wanted to remove it
Docs did some mistake diagnosing and thought that fetus ws alive that took the lady's life not ''we cannot abort kid this is catholic country blah,blah,blah"
more like "Dumb-ass doctors do wrong diagnosis"
*now some serious Anti-Catholic sh*t-storm will start here*
*then some "Why do we need religion?" crap will start*
*and even possibly the debate over "indian culture" will start here*

and for everyone's information here. I am Catholic.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
uhhhh... i think the fetus ws already dead and the lady wanted to remove it
Docs did some mistake diagnosing and thought that fetus ws alive that took the lady's life not ''we cannot abort kid this is catholic country blah,blah,blah"

Not really, not at all a mistake, when the foetus start dying inside its heart beat starts decreasing (flickers as seen in ultrasound). Doctors give some injections in a hope to revive it and generally a 24 hours window. If the next sonograph shows further reduction in heartbeats, along with reduction in size of foetus and egg sac, doctors go for D & C operation. Mind you, the foetus is technically still alive, although chances of its survival is nil and if prompt action is not taken, it will take down the mother with it also.

This is instant case, nothing to do with doctors, even an inexperienced doctor can very well advice you whether to keep or abort. It's just plain dumb-ass law based on stupid religious belief.

Well...for one, the reason they have stated can be subject to misinterpretation. By saying "This is a catholic country", they meant that abortion is illegal (which it is). However, people might interpret this as only Catholics will be treated and not non-catholics. That is why this news has got so much attention, IMHO.

Edit : This is why governments need to be completely secular.

Agree wholeheartedly. Laws need to be impartial and practical, we can keep our religious practices and beliefs to ourselves.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Not really, not at all a mistake, when the foetus start dying inside its heart beat starts decreasing (flickers as seen in ultrasound). Doctors give some injections in a hope to revive it and generally a 24 hours window. If the next sonograph shows further reduction in heartbeats, along with reduction in size of foetus and egg sac, doctors go for D & C operation. Mind you, the foetus is technically still alive, although chances of its survival is nil and if prompt action is not taken, it will take down the mother with it also.
Informative. How does the death of fetus linked with death of the bearer ?

Also, she died of blood poisoning. I just did a wiki search and the resulting image is horrifying.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blood poisoning because of dead fetus and subsequent infection. Had it been removed in time when the fetus was still alive, albeit technically, this wouldn't have happened. It's similar to keeping a dead tumor inside your body or not amputating a limb when gangrene has set in. See the first post, about the E.Coli ESBL. It's actually this:-

ESBL (Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamase)-producing E. coli are antibiotic-resistant strains of E. coli. E. coli are very common bacteria that normally live harmlessly in the gut. ESBL-producing strains produce an enzyme called extended-spectrum beta lactamase, which makes them more resistant to cephalosporin antibiotics. Many ESBL-producing strains are also resistant to antibiotics belonging to other classes. This makes the infections harder to treat.

Tech&ME

Banned
Humm...

What ever the reason may be.

Life of the women carrrying a baby is more important then the baby itself.

The case in point here is /was:

1. This was a very clear case of miscarriage.

2. The baby in question was just 4 months old [ pre-mature ].

3. Even if the baby was NOT technically dead, it was dead b'coz technically again, no one can give birth to a 4 months baby and expect it to live through !!

4. Even a pre-mature baby of 7 months [ which happens ] to NOT survive in many cases, even if the birth procedure was normal.

So, In my opinion the doctors were totally insane and out of their mind when they decided to KILL the women in the process of saving a already dead baby.

Regarding culture and all, that is a political matter of that country.

Oh !

I forgot to add that, why on earth the women was not taken to London or elsewhere for the abortion procedure, is also a question to be pondered over.

Abortion in Ireland is not permitted and it is a known fact since a very long time. Why the locals did not assist the couple and helped them in the process ?

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
her relatives should have moved her instantly to england after hearing this, if that was possible. i read punishment of abortion is life imprisonment in ireland. :(

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes, they should have moved her to London. But I think the locals did not know as much as they did I guess that's why no one helped or perhaps they did not mix well with the locals or vice versa, we'll never know.

Now, I cannot understand why this is getting so much attention? Is it because she was living abroad? Thousands of women die on our own land owing to medical complications, denial of timely treatment or insufficient facilities but no one gives two ***ks. I am glad that the Dubliners have taken up voice for an Indian and this will help the Dubliners, but it does not help India in any way.

Hrishi

her relatives should have moved her instantly to england after hearing this, if that was possible. i read punishment of abortion is life imprisonment in ireland. :(

So technically a lot of ladies might have lost their life , if they suffered a miscarriage ?? SInce , abortion is not allowed. :?_?
Can't say that the law is ridiculous (it's glood in one way) , but it should be removed or should not impy in case of emergency of such instances.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
So technically a lot of ladies might have lost their life , if they suffered a miscarriage ?? SInce , abortion is not allowed. :?_?
Can't say that the law is ridiculous (it's glood in one way) , but it should be removed or should not impy in case of emergency of such instances.

Yes, that was what happened. The Irish law is not clear as to under what circumstances an abortion should be carried out.

icebags

Technomancer
those who need it, normally move to england.
Yes, they should have moved her to London. But I think the locals did not know as much as they did I guess that's why no one helped or perhaps they did not mix well with the locals or vice versa, we'll never know.

Now, I cannot understand why this is getting so much attention? Is it because she was living abroad? Thousands of women die on our own land owing to medical complications, denial of timely treatment or insufficient facilities but no one gives two ***ks. I am glad that the Dubliners have taken up voice for an Indian and this will help the Dubliners, but it does not help India in any way.
she is getting most attention in ireland, where people demanding change in national law. but its very unfortunate that she had a better chance of treatment here than there for this case.

gameranand

Living to Play
Really sad news. She died just because of some insane law which was correctly implied, I hope that their law would be modified so that others won't suffer this fate. :(

Top Bottom