IE 8 Beta : The First Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Re: Internet Explorer 8 reveled

not heavy at all.but crashes with google toolbar.and i cant live without google toolbar so IE 8 uninstalled.its real fast than IE7.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

Good to see IE 8 so soon. It’s about time that MS starts to keep pace with the competition.

Personally I feel the features 1, 3 & 4 (Activities, WebSlices & Favorites Bar) are bloats. Nevertheless it’s good for developers. IE 6/7 was a headache as was not web complaint. IE 8 should set the records straight.

Go IE 8! MS release IE for Mac too.. (ok, kidding :D)

axxo

99.9% Idle

funny to see that favourite bar, crash recovery were so called as features :D

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Much buzz is going on Microsoft’s latest incarnation of its famous and most popular browser Internet Explorer. Although the version 8 is not officially released, the Redmond Company has released a beta 1 version of the browser for general public yesterday. Check [/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On the IE8 Readiness Kit webpage, given links for downloads were not working till today. I downloaded the browser today on Vista and gave it a go for testing. The download was an 11MB one, and it is almost double of its most prominent rival, Firefox. Firefox 3 beta installers are amazingly smaller than any other browsers and IE8 is no match in this category.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Installation[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]After completing the download, I started the installer to begin. At first glance I though what I was going to install was IE 7 as the both installer has a striking resemblance in the UI. Checked again and being assured as it was indeed IE 8, I proceeded with the installation. On the second step it asked whether it would download the necessary updates automatically for IE8. User can also check the contents of the selected update from the link given on the installer window. Proceeding through this step started the actual installation and updates were started to be downloaded. [/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There are four steps in the installer to be completed when installing the new version. These are Downloading Necessary Updates, Installing Updates, Installing Internet Explorer Components and Finishing. Shockingly, the installation took a good amount of time as well. Downloading Updates part is completely depend on internet speed, but letting it aside, installing the updates, installing the Core Components and finishing took a lot of time. And finally after a gasping 10 minutes wait, installer stated that the system need a Restart to complete the installation. Proceeded, and when shutting down, the new updates began to configure and upon restart it was working.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,geneva][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,geneva]Experiencing Internet Explorer 8 Beta[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fired up IE8 at last and I am really happy to see the speed of the application as it opens so fast in comparison to FF 3. The interface is not really changed and almost same as the previous version, only a new toolbar consisting of the ‘Favorites ‘links has been added just beneath the Address Bar.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Page loading speed is improved over the previous versions and it is quite faster than its last version. Though in comparison to Firefox 3 Beta 4, it is somehow slow in rendering but quite impressive on the performance front.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A whole lot of new features are introduced on IE8. I am not going to repeat the feature list here as one can easily check them from the Microsoft site itself @ *www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/readiness/NewFeatures.htm[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The newly introduced Webslice feature is somewhat similar to Safari 3’s new feature named Webclip. The later one allows one to select a part of a webpage and watch it live on Dashboard. Although the new feature in IE 8 fetches Webslices from certain websites like msn.com where Microsoft SlideShow is available and a purple colored button become active in the main toolbar. Clicking on it can activate the feature and can show Webslices in the Favorites bar. It can be described as live RSS feeds with interactive contents in it.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Another new feature is the Activities and it is really a nifty one. When watching some contents on a site, one can easily select what to do with them. Adding the contents to various bookmarking sites, blogging them using Windows Live Writer etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In the Address Bar, IE8 shows the main name of a site clearly leaving the other parts of the URL like www and sub domains grayed. This helps to recognize the website at one catch.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,geneva]Performance[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Amazingly IE8 fails to deliver some good rendering performances in AcidTest 3. When I tested it using the much coveted benchmarking tool, it simply failed. Even I added it as a Trusted Site so no restrictions were present to render the page contents. But it scores only 19 in the test and that is even very little in comparison with Firefox 2.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I reviewed IE 8 BETA @ IE 8 Beta : The First Experience
[/FONT]

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
firefox3beta5 gets almost 70 in acid3 :p

Ya, u r right.

Hey, I can still browse all my orkut, facebook, myspace, evermotion, MSDN web pages fine in IE. How the hell did this happened when IE cannot pass Acid Test

Oh! I just realised that Acid test doesn't mean anything in real world.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Oh, wait , if it doesnt mean anything, why is MS working on getting standards right?

Wake up and see the light dude, developers are getting tired of making a separate version of the webpage just for IE.And if MS doesnt adapt standards , they might just well start losing their share when pages stop rendering right.

praka123

left this forum longback
^still n00b vista users will stick to IE8 as it is bundled by default :( bad dream!
*www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Yea, and i dont know abt IE7 but IE6 cant even render png's properly.
And to say that its got the major share!
It(IE6) displays the transparent part of my avatar in black.

Voldy

The Dark lord
hmm.. no change in interface and even cant show any good benchmarking results in Acid3 test.it doesnt matter how IE performance and compatability has been boasted up in ver.8 its still a beta so will wait for the final release .but good to hear that IE 8 operatability has been boasted up unlike its prev. ver. which takes alot of time to start .

Thanks for the info:D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
it is faster than 7 on xp :)

check this out new in ie 8:

*img81.imageshack.us/img81/1746/54112694kw4.jpg

the site and . whatever is black whereas the rest is gray .... kinda nice

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

It is a prevention mechanism from phishing.

^iMav, does IE8 display PNG's properly or is it still like IE6 in that area?

The problem is fixed with IE 7 already.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac

I already quoted this on my review on my site ;)

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Plz tell us what makes Firefox better then IE 8?

Please do not start a flame war here. :-?

I think that Firefox is better renderer than the IE and speedier too. :)

Also I presume IE 8 can automatically block online ads. I cant see any ads in Digit forum and some other places also when using IE 8 BETA.
Anyone please confirm it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom