Identification mark : hard-disk SATA & SATA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi how can I identify a harddisk that it is SATA or SATA2 ?

I am going to buy a seagate 80 Gb hard-disk . before buying what questions I should ask to the dealer ? :twisted:

basically I want to buy a SATA hard disk . so how I can be sure that he is giving me the right thing ?

please reply

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
support for SATA2 depends on mobo too....
which MOBO are u using...??

and as far as getting a right product is concerned,do NOT buy without its bill !!

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
boss almost all sata hdds in the market now are sata 2....but they are backward compatible if ur mobo dosent support sata 2....i herd of some hitachi drives which are not backward compatible..but u can distinguish easily..:D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I recently bought a 250GB HDD , it had a jumper for setting 1.5GBPS/3GBPS.. Im confused does SATA1 have 3GBPS speed support? I have intel 915GAV mobo.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
The best way is to go to the website of the brand of the hard disk (seagate/wd) you wish to buy and check the model no. of the SATA II products. Simply select the model no. according to the interface speeds, buffer etc you want and grab it from the dealer.
It makes no difference to them. They base their prices on the hard disk capacity, brand and whether it is PATA or SATA (though lately, the latter also doesn't matter)
In this way I was able to get myself a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 gig PATA.

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
charangk said:
I recently bought a 250GB HDD , it had a jumper for setting 1.5GBPS/3GBPS.. Im confused does SATA1 have 3GBPS speed support? I have intel 915GAV mobo.
no re the 915 series does not have sata2 support itll work only in sata 1(1.5gbps)mode and if im not mistaking the drive ur using either has jumpers set to 1.5gbps mode or they have been removed:p

janitha

Wise Old Owl
charangk said:

SATA 1 -1.5GBPS
SATA 2 -3 GBPS

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Ambar and janitha . Thanks for the reply. So my HDD is a SATA 2 Running at 1.5Gbps mode ;) good for me that I bought SATA2 HDD :D

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^ I dont think so. Because the ports will either be SATA1 or SATA2. There wont be any manufacturer who give both. Although in case of RAM its there in the market.

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
kranti said:
Can SATA1 and SATA2 HDDs be installed in one PC?
dood see either ur board will be sata1 or itll be sata2.....so no confusion....but yes u can force one hdd to work in sata1 mode using the jumpers....:D

din

Tribal Boy
Bought a 250 GB Seagate HDD and I saw there was a marking on it which says about jumper. Not to use any to make it work at 3 Gbps and use jumper to make it work at 1.5 Gbps . So I guess its a SATA 2 HDD. Your HDD has any marking like that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom