Ideas And Suggestions Needed For Progressing In Career (Linux Vs .NET)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hello, It's been 3 Years I'm working as a .NET Developer. Now it looks like I'm stuck here and can't find the path beyond. Yes I know about WPF, WCF, WWF, MVC etc. But unluckily none of these technologies is used at my present firm and I don't think they will be using it in near future. And what's worse is, I'm the only .NET guy here, so no scope of learning advanced things from Team Members or Team Lead. Everything depends on my knowledge and the knowledge I acquire from Google :p

Now my elder brother is in TCS into Server Admin Dept. he's suggesting that, nowadays there are 1000's of programmers (specially .NET and PHP) are roaming around in the streets. He's saying to be updated with the newer technologies and upcoming technologies instead of being on common path.

He knows my interest in Linux, and says Linux is booming, if not in Kolkata, there are thousands of opportunities that are there in Chennai, Bangalore, Gurgaon, Delhi, Pune, Noida etc. so he's suggesting if you are into development go for Kernel Development, Device Driver etc. As I have interest in Linux and have done some job on Linux Porting to Embedded Hardware at my previous firm he says stick into that instead of getting into MS thing or .NET .

He says like, there are much better scope of Server Admins, Server + Security Admins etc. Nowadays scope of Security Admins are booming and he says to look there.

Anyway, this is the story. Now I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Should I go forward and learn WCF, WPF, MVC etc.? But I don't know where I'd use it, unless I find some company to test my skills there. Else as per his suggestion move to Linux?

As I have spent my 3 years in .NET I don't know how this totally opposite transform will be accepted by the firms I'll be approaching.

Hrishi

Are you working for MNC ???
BTW , there is no doubt why so many people in this domain say that LiNux is best. Its something that doesn't becomes obsolete so easily unlike MS.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Nope. I'm not working at MNC. The thing is yes I want to get into MNC (preferably TCS, due to my personal liking and security :p) and above that I love learning things on which I'm interested.

I'd love to learn MVC, WPF, WCF, WWF, Sharepoint Development etc.

I have already gone through MVC on Home : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site and WPF and WCF on MSDN. But the thing is here I have no scope of testing and improving skills on new technologies. Also the scope here is very limited as I'm the only person in .NET

The development procedure they follows is not standard, so I'm not getting awared of the standards followed in MNC companies which are CMM Level Certified.

So, my bro was suggesting to get into Linux Admins do RHCE, RHCSS etc. and training on Security and all.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
You are too suggesting both the path mate :p

Can you please suggest one path? Try to learn the newer skills of Microsoft Domain (which I'll do ofcourse but getting something to implement and test out the skills is really hard) or move to Linux Domain. (In that case specifically what, Admin, Security, Development, Device Driver etc.)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
not suggesting just showing you two options.

Microsoft & Unix are two different directions.
As you are a .NET professional you will have easy path coping to sharepoint development. Sharepoint developer jobs are currently very high priced.

But if you go the UNIX way this will remain there as long as the server client architechture is there but same cannot be said about sharepoint.
So choose.

I would say move to sharepoint now after few years if sharepoint bceomes a deceased tech. then move to something else.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well nowadays in development companies prefer MVC, WCF, WPF. And other than that Microsoft Dynamics and Sharepoint is rising high.

ratul

█████████████████
well as others have suggested, if you have proficiency in .NET, you'd be better off in that field..
I was too in somewhat same dilemma, but back in 2nd year of my college :p, then found out that programming career is hell lot boring, most of the professionals i met were just "There's not enough work, most of our code is from google Copy-Paste and then modifying it." So then i chose security as my primary domain, as it needs to have you constantly updated, and now for past one week, working for a good linux MNC under Security team.. :D

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Hello, It's been 3 Years I'm working as a .NET Developer. Now it looks like I'm stuck here and can't find the path beyond. Yes I know about WPF, WCF, WWF, MVC etc. But unluckily none of these technologies is used at my present firm and I don't think they will be using it in near future. And what's worse is, I'm the only .NET guy here, so no scope of learning advanced things from Team Members or Team Lead. Everything depends on my knowledge and the knowledge I acquire from Google :p

Now my elder brother is in TCS into Server Admin Dept. he's suggesting that, nowadays there are 1000's of programmers (specially .NET and PHP) are roaming around in the streets. He's saying to be updated with the newer technologies and upcoming technologies instead of being on common path.

He knows my interest in Linux, and says Linux is booming, if not in Kolkata, there are thousands of opportunities that are there in Chennai, Bangalore, Gurgaon, Delhi, Pune, Noida etc. so he's suggesting if you are into development go for Kernel Development, Device Driver etc. As I have interest in Linux and have done some job on Linux Porting to Embedded Hardware at my previous firm he says stick into that instead of getting into MS thing or .NET .

He says like, there are much better scope of Server Admins, Server + Security Admins etc. Nowadays scope of Security Admins are booming and he says to look there.

Anyway, this is the story. Now I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Should I go forward and learn WCF, WPF, MVC etc.? But I don't know where I'd use it, unless I find some company to test my skills there. Else as per his suggestion move to Linux?

As I have spent my 3 years in .NET I don't know how this totally opposite transform will be accepted by the firms I'll be approaching.

If you are passionate about IT industry -Three things to keep in mind - Domain, Technology and Constant Learning/Innovation.

1.Learning domain knowledge is always valuable .
Be it Embedded, IT Security and admin,Healthcare,Insurance, ERP ,Logistics, Energy,Defense,Finance,BI or anything.
Business knowledge or functional knowledge is always useful for growing up the ladder.Hunt for it.
Do certifications in one of the domains you are interested in.

Never do tech certification in IT service industry unless paid by company.Not worth it.

2.IMO after spending 2 yrs in Microsoft .NET DEV in past.
I feel its not worth it may be 5years from now.
The problem is its a propriety Tech ,it changes and ruled by micro$oft.
The point is don't be a only tech-coding guy.

It all boil downs to what you want to do in long-term and what you like.
Choose a domain you like and choose a tech that's booming (preferably OSS) and jump into it.
Start as Dev -->Lead --> Grasp functional knowledge in parallel -->
Quickly try to become a Business analyst or consultant -->become a entrepreneur etc if you can.

Now Linux has huge potential used in many domains.For example There's considerable jobs for kernel developer in tech companies in embedded domain.
The challenge with Linux is it changes rapidly.You need to constantly learn and innovate.Also Linux is a OS.Learn one of C/C++/Bash/Python language to program apps as per required domain.
So you can move to any domain with linux applications.

I have recently seen Mediplus shop using a fedora OS-Running probably c++ GUI-Point of sale Application.
Probably developed by some small company.So think how companies in India only are dumping m$ tech.Think how much potential OSS has.

I read a article about Ameerpet (A huge IT coaching hub and fake exp hub in hyd for engg grads) , there is 50% drop in crowd .Most of them are closing.
You can think how outsourcing business models are changing and companies are not getting normal projects with proprietary tech.

See for example Android has pushed hardware cost down.The market boomed.Even open source can change enterprise world soon.
Times are changing.Change with time -sharpen your skills accordingly.Innovate everyday.Most importantly enjoy doing your work and live happy.

Hrishi

^ Yeah , the Way Outsourcing industry is evolving and shaping its really becoming difficult to give assurance.

Best is to keep learning and evolving in the new trend , and stay happy .

Top Bottom