Iam an ECE 1st year Student. What skills should I learn ?

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello guys.

Iam in ECE 1st year and want to know what things i can learn to improve my skills.

Iam confused between going to core jobs or getting into IT companies. Hence I want to learn some stuff which would be helpful for me in both core as well as technical field.

I was thinking of learning JAVA simultaneously with C . What you do guys think about this?

Iam also interested in Android coding but I also have varied interest in different fields.

So what do you guys suggest?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you are new to programming, focus your entire attention to C (because it is in your syllabus), you will have PLENTY of time to learn Java, if you are not completely familiar with basic programming syntax...you will have a hard time learning OOP Java..

If you want to learn something BESIDES what is being taught at your college, start with Python

IMO, 3rd sem is the best time to start learning java, (provided you are newbie at coding atm)

For android development, you can follow youtube tutorials, try learning them in your free time.. they get interesting after you start to understand the basic fundamentals

icebags

Technomancer
Hello guys.

Iam in ECE 1st year and want to know what things i can learn to improve my skills.

Iam confused between going to core jobs or getting into IT companies. Hence I want to learn some stuff which would be helpful for me in both core as well as technical field.

I was thinking of learning JAVA simultaneously with C . What you do guys think about this?

Iam also interested in Android coding but I also have varied interest in different fields.

So what do you guys suggest?

what is it that you want to go for, core electronics or IT ?

compared to core electronics there r more opportunities in IT in india. in other way, u may really try hard to make a core electronics career, that is good paying or has higher opportunities. ultimately ur knowledge, scoresheet and luck will decide ur fate if you really want to get into the better section of electronics.

compared to that, it may not be as difficult to get into IT, if you can prove your skills/knowledge in front of interviewer, just you may need to go bangalore once in a while to catch interviews, even at freshers state, if u don't get the opportunities in campus......

java has more applications than C/C++, whatever u tell the interviewer, be ready to face tricky questions from them. adding an android project to your cv is always an added advantage.

anyways, 3 years is a good time, start exploring ur opportunities and interests. but first of all, master c++, no matter u choose electronics or IT, if it concerns programming u will sure face it.

D

Deleted member 118788

Yes. AMD sucks.

Okay I will and Nvidia is going to give a free GTX 999X whenever it releases to the one who will walk Nvidia, talk Nvidia, live Nvidia, poop Nvidia, die Nvidia. I guess you qualifies for it. Why don't you give it a shot?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Okay I will and Nvidia is going to give a free GTX 999X whenever it releases to the one who will walk Nvidia, talk Nvidia, live Nvidia, poop Nvidia, die Nvidia. I guess you qualifies for it. Why don't you give it a shot?

*libertynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/escalated-quickly.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 980Ti so I don't mind really. A job in Nvidia, on the other hand, would be nice tho.

- - - Updated - - -

@OP
If you want to eventually work at Google instead, take courses in the following areas:
1. System Programming
2. Operating Systems
3. Compilers
4. Computer Networks.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you want to eventually work at Google instead, take courses in the following areas:
1. System Programming
2. Operating Systems
3. Compilers
4. Computer Networks.

All of these are generic courses that every institution teaches, there is nothing special about these that will help in getting a job in google..
for the past 5 years, google mass recruiters have only 2 important subjects in mind when it comes to programming :
DSA (Data structures and algorithms)
DAA (Design of algorithms and analysis)
Anyway, OP did not ask for what subjects to read, he specifically stated what programming languages he should start learning first..
Assuming, you have programming experience, C++ suggestion was good, people do learn C++ from 11th -12th but if a person is a complete newbie, its always better to start with C then move on to C++..
its impossible for anyone to start learning OOP specific part of C++ without learning basic syntax of C languages anyway..
Im linking [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION], who is a full time programmer.. here who can explain this better (I hope lol :oops:)

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
All of these are generic courses that every institution teaches, there is nothing special about these that will help in getting a job in google..
for the past 5 years, google mass recruiters have only 2 important subjects in mind when it comes to programming :
Anyway, OP did not ask for what subjects to read, he specifically stated what programming languages he should start learning first..
Assuming, you have programming experience, C++ suggestion was good, people do learn C++ from 11th -12th but if a person is a complete newbie, its always better to start with C then move on to C++..
its impossible for anyone to start learning OOP specific part of C++ without learning basic syntax of C languages anyway..
Im linking [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION], who is a full time programmer.. here who can explain this better (I hope lol :oops:)
Iam not confined to programming and want to improve my skills. If DA and algorithms are much required in the market, then I'll try to learn it. Can you provide me more info about these algorithms?

As you have suggested python, I'll try to simultaneously study it with c. But I can't imagine what you could do with python. What is its scope for a student to develop in python compared to JAVA?

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
what is it that you want to go for, core electronics or IT ?

compared to core electronics there r more opportunities in IT in india. in other way, u may really try hard to make a core electronics career, that is good paying or has higher opportunities. ultimately ur knowledge, scoresheet and luck will decide ur fate if you really want to get into the better section of electronics.

compared to that, it may not be as difficult to get into IT, if you can prove your skills/knowledge in front of interviewer, just you may need to go bangalore once in a while to catch interviews, even at freshers state, if u don't get the opportunities in campus......

java has more applications than C/C++, whatever u tell the interviewer, be ready to face tricky questions from them. adding an android project to your cv is always an added advantage.

anyways, 3 years is a good time, start exploring ur opportunities and interests. but first of all, master c++, no matter u choose electronics or IT, if it concerns programming u will sure face it.
My college has good IT placements in it. However, I don't know the case with core Ece jobs.

And also, I heard that IT pay you more when compared to core jobs. Is it true?

And are there any good core ece jobs in India where we can have good self development?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
DSA will be taught in your 3rd sems, DAA in your 5th..
for now, focus on learning C, master it, move to C++ then to Java..
try to learn Object oriented programming i.e. Java after you are familiar with the basics of C.. I suggested python because it is one of the easiest, yet highly modular languages that will aid you in linux environment which you will learn sometime in the future anwyay...
As for android development, take it up as a hobby, learn from youtube tutorials, apply for a full android course in 4-5 th sem from a reputed institute (vacations) to get an official degree
^
Whatever I have said above, i have done so myself..

icebags

Technomancer
My college has good IT placements in it. However, I don't know the case with core Ece jobs.

And also, I heard that IT pay you more when compared to core jobs. Is it true?

well, there are core ece jobs, but they don't really arrange mas walkins like IT, best way to approach that path would be to make a list of such available companies, find your connections in those companies and drop ur cv via them or mail them or meet the receptionist and ask them that u came to drop a cv.

it would be your luck to get a call, so, try to make ur cv look attractive, list up some projects that could be related to company's business - may be hobby/ college / display projects - arduino stuff, audio video projects, that you fully understand and did hands on.

u may not get calls from big companies, many people start with smaller companies, some move up to big companies, with fat paychecks, some don't. it's always less opportunities in electronics, once a product is designed, its mostly done, small companies don't get much reason to keep u paid unless they want to make new modifications or products. its not true for big companies though.

IT is different, indian IT is mainly support based, it means u will constantly need to support customers through whatever their needs and bill them accordingly - i.e. more opportunities.

And are there any good core ece jobs in India where we can have good self development?

be it programming or electronics, if you can take up it as hobby u will come to search projects ideas in internet, eventually will be downloading custom libs from github or somewhere else, and if u study them u will eventually come to know how professional coding is different from college level coding, etc.

if interested in electronics, see some eevblog / julien illet projects, lots of people take up electronics as hobbies, and post 2010, it has become hobbyists paradise these days, thanks to small chinese companies, lots of tools became available for experimentation and crafting, at very affordable prices.

core Ece jobs

electronics and comm jobs are different. if u get to join reliance/ tata docomo / airtel / vodafoene / noika /bsnl comms like companies, then the comms theoretical knowledge to crack the interview is what all u will need, because in the job will be wielding hammers, screw drivers and joining wires from Tx to Rx and Rx to Tx, but they may be good paying jobs as well.

Last edited:
OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
well, there are core ece jobs, but they don't really arrange mas walkins like IT, best way to approach that path would be to make a list of such available companies, find your connections in those companies and drop ur cv via them or mail them or meet the receptionist and ask them that u came to drop a cv.

it would be your luck to get a call, so, try to make ur cv look attractive, list up some projects that could be related to company's business - may be hobby/ college / display projects - arduino stuff, audio video projects, that you fully understand and did hands on.

u may not get calls from big companies, many people start with smaller companies, some move up to big companies, with fat paychecks, some don't. it's always less opportunities in electronics, once a product is designed, its mostly done, small companies don't get much reason to keep u paid unless they want to make new modifications or products. its not true for big companies though.

IT is different, indian IT is mainly support based, it means u will constantly need to support customers through whatever their needs and bill them accordingly - i.e. more opportunities.

be it programming or electronics, if you can take up it as hobby u will come to search projects ideas in internet, eventually will be downloading custom libs from github or somewhere else, and if u study them u will eventually come to know how professional coding is different from college level coding, etc.

if interested in electronics, see some eevblog / julien illet projects, lots of people take up electronics as hobbies, and post 2010, it has become hobbyists paradise these days, thanks to small chinese companies, lots of tools became available for experimentation and crafting, at very affordable prices.

electronics and comm jobs are different. if u get to join reliance/ tata docomo / airtel / vodafoene / noika /bsnl comms like companies, then the comms theoretical knowledge to crack the interview is what all u will need, because in the job will be wielding hammers, screw drivers and joining wires from Tx to Rx and Rx to Tx, but they may be good paying jobs as well.
Thank you for your elaborate reply.

What about companies like Nvidia and Intel? Do they hire freshers? And do are we required to do in order to join one?

And also, can you tell me whether the core jobs integrate programming in it or just pure electronics?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

I realize that. OP did not not ask which programming languages to learn but which skills he should learn.
Also, Java, C and C++ are used in those courses.

- - - Updated - - -

What about companies like Nvidia and Intel? Do they hire freshers? And do are we required to do in order to join one?

And also, can you tell me whether the core jobs integrate programming in it or just pure electronics?

I am answering specifically for Nvidia(because that is my dream company :p ). They don't hire freshmen, only 3rd and 4th year students. Your CPGA must be relatively high(8.75+). The first question they asked when they had come to recruit was a program in C++. Right now, I am trying to learn as much as I can about Nvidia and trying to make friends inside the company.

icebags

Technomancer

i have never heard of them arranging freshers drive. but they still may do that somewhere, but not in kolkata.

core companies, if working on embedded systems, or digital stuff, they mostly will do programming in C++, may in unix env too.

this is why we say, whatever u do, master C++ first, in depth ( which i did not, and suffered :-( ), then go for moderate knowledge on unix and other stuff.

since u r in first year, and if u are willing to explore ur horizons, do join to a detailed course on radio + tv repairing in some professional institute in this semester break. they will build up ur basic electronics skills.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
AFAIK, amazon, intel, google and microsoft are t1 companies that mostly come to all reputed institutions.. getting placed among them is really hard
flipkart, deloitte, accenture, sap labs are t2 companies, these are "good" companies and getting placed in them is moderately hard
tcs, wipro etc are all t3 companies, they seek mass recruitment and mostly ask you to sign a bond..

Ive never seen AMD or nvidia seeking recruitment in campuses here in India, their presence in India is not that high i think

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
AFAIK, amazon, intel, google and microsoft are t1 companies that mostly come to all reputed institutions.. getting placed among them is really hard
flipkart, deloitte, accenture, sap labs are t2 companies, these are "good" companies and getting placed in them is moderately hard
tcs, wipro etc are all t3 companies, they seek mass recruitment and mostly ask you to sign a bond..

Ive never seen AMD or nvidia seeking recruitment in campuses here in India, their presence in India is not that high i think

+1 to that. Nvidia and AMD presence in India is negligible.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Good discussion going over here. Just pitching to say that its not impossible to learn C without C++ or vice versa. In fact I learned C++ first, which is object oriented, and C later.
One can also start with Java since its also a good high level language.

Btw, broadly speaking, language choice doesn't matter much, atleast as much as learning the algorithms. If you know how to build "logic" then you can program in 'any' language after picking up its syntax and semantics.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Good discussion going over here. Just pitching to say that its not impossible to learn C without C++ or vice versa. In fact I learned C++ first, which is object oriented, and C later.
One can also start with Java since its also a good high level language.

Btw, broadly speaking, language choice doesn't matter much, atleast as much as learning the algorithms. If you know how to build "logic" then you can program in 'any' language after picking up its syntax and semantics.
I've researched about python and looks like it is a versatile language and is even used in raspberry pi.

After learning python, I could make projects on raspberry pi which would be good in resume.

Also, what do these tier 1 companies look when recruiting?

And how do I approach companies like Nvidia and Intel?

Tagging [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION] [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]

Top Bottom