I7 Haswell Based PC Suggestions (Upto 70k)

WhenKey

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans:Sideload Multiple os, web development, coding, debugging, internet surfing, Photoshop (Might need do Video conversion sometime soon)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 60K (max 75k)

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: Yes, if it increases performance of above tasks anyway

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows 7/8 64bit (linux and xp in vm mode)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 1/2 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: Have Dell 2412M 1920x1200

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: Will buy the graphics card later with i start gaming

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: In 2-4 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: If it just means keeping all things in place... i can, but will better leave it to him (unless i get everything online)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: HYD CTC / Online... (mainly depends on pricing)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: Consider these in build

Min of 8 GB DDR3 Ram (will add another 8 or more when prices move south)
120/240 Samsung SSD
2TB WD Red HDD
500R / 400R / CM 690 3

Also Have Frontech 600VA UPS is this fine ?

Last edited:

Honeydew

Broken In
Processor Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 4770K i7 4th Generation Processor-23k
Motherboard Asus Z87 Pro Motherboard-16.6k
SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 128 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive -8.5k
HDD Western Digital Red 2TB NAS WD20EFRX-7.5k
Ram Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM -5.5k
PSU Corsair RM650 Watt Gold PSU-8k
Cabinet Coolermaster HAF 912 Combat-5k or Corsair 400R -5k
Total 74100
Get a good graphics card ASAP.This will be a killer rig with a good gpu :cool:

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
:+1: . btw, any budget for gpu??

Shiva

Oops i should have been more clear... I need everything (excluding monitor) in that above price. 60k (75k max)

I Will ONLY go with OC'ing if i can have huge performance increase in the below apps...
Side load Multiple os, web development, coding, debugging, internet surfing, Photoshop (Might need do Video conversion sometime soon)

And is my Frontech 600VA UPS good enough to bear the above config?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Processor -Intel Xeon E3 1225 v3 -15000,

Motherboard -Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,

SSD -Samsung 840 Evo 128GB SSD -6500,

HDD -Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB -6500,

Ram -Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB -5500,

PSU -Corsair TX650M -6500,

Cabinet -Corsair 400R -5000,

GPU -Sapphire/HIS R9 280X 3GB -23000,

KB Combo -Coolermaster Devastator Gaming Bundle -2800.

Total -76,300.

Cilus

laborare est orare
bavusani , would you please stop recommending that Core i5 based Xeon Processor to everywhere when people are asking about i7 based one? You have been corrected many many times in several threads, even today and yesterday.

Whenkey, look for the XEON E3-1245 v3 which is basically a Haswell based i7 without the iGPU and added support for handling ECC Ram. Also there is no point of buying an SSD as well as a high performance costly WD Black HDD.

Also for PSU, you won't be needing anything over 500W, get the ANTEC VP550 PSU, currently available at 3.6K in Flipkart.

Honeydew

Broken In
Oops i should have been more clear... I need everything (excluding monitor) in that above price. 60k (75k max)

I Will ONLY go with OC'ing if i can have huge performance increase in the below apps...
Side load Multiple os, web development, coding, debugging, internet surfing, Photoshop (Might need do Video conversion sometime soon)

And is my Frontech 600VA UPS good enough to bear the above config?

Sorry i shold have considered for monitor...
Go with rig i mentioned just change these parts...
PSU -antec vp 550p psu -3.5 k
HDD- WD blue 1 tb- 4.1k
MONITOR-dell s2240l 21.5" ips led backlit lcd monitor-8.8 k
TOTAL-75K
You have to sacrifice on the hdd for now...and i thik that should be no problem...

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
Sorry i shold have considered for monitor...
Go with rig i mentioned just change these parts...
PSU -antec vp 550p psu -3.5 k
HDD- WD blue 1 tb- 4.1k
MONITOR-dell s2240l 21.5" ips led backlit lcd monitor-8.8 k
TOTAL-75K
You have to sacrifice on the hdd for now...and i thik that should be no problem...

LOL LOL LOL.... You dint get me again.

I have Dell 2412M 1920x1200 monitor and only looking for CPU, MB, RAM, PSU, Cabinet, HDD, KBM (& SSD, GPU which i think i can get later too if i go with i7)

----

And Cilus... Are these Xeon's available here in India (mainly Hyderabad?)

If yes i would like to get it (but i think i need to get a GPU now itself which i am planning to get after 2 months or so)

Can you let me know what does "handling ECC Ram" mean or what benefits will i have choosing it?

And also asking again.... is my Frontech 600VA UPS good enough or should i get APC 1.1 ?

Thanks

Honeydew

Broken In
ECC means error checking and correction.a ecc enabled ram would minimize the internal data corruption..and your pc will be mostly devoid of internal errors..
As per your usage a feture like ecc is good to have...but not urgently necessary...

- - - Updated - - -

LOL LOL LOL.... You dint get me again.

I have Dell 2412M 1920x1200 monitor and only looking for CPU, MB, RAM, PSU, Cabinet, HDD, KBM (& SSD, GPU which i think i can get later too if i go with i7)

----

And Cilus... Are these Xeon's available here in India (mainly Hyderabad?)

If yes i would like to get it (but i think i need to get a GPU now itself which i am planning to get after 2 months or so)

Can you let me know what does "handling ECC Ram" mean or what benefits will i have choosing it?

And also asking again.... is my Frontech 600VA UPS good enough or should i get APC 1.1 ?

Thanks

:shock::oops:sorry for my inconvenience..sometimes i just can't get it..btw what i am saying is you can't get it all in a 75k budget..you have to decide wheather to go with a good gpu or to stick with a i7....if you plan to play new games at max settings then i would suggest to go the best gpu.

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
No problem... Honeydew,

Playing games is not my main preference... I am currently on a Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz/4GB laptop. It serves me but the things like browsers getting stuck, regular replacement of battery (120USD/15months or so), fan (12USD/year) and heating are bothering me. And don't have any chance to up things.

So decided to get a good PC... and play something when bored.

I like Xeon's but when i previously looked for them they were not available.

I think i will go with them if i get compatible motherboard and ram ELSE i will go with i 7 4770...

Also more inclined to get Asus MB as i haven't had a single problem in my last 8 yrs with one we used to have or friends/relatives.

Thanks

Honeydew

Broken In
No problem... Honeydew,

Playing games is not my main preference... I am currently on a Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz/4GB laptop. It serves me but the things like browsers getting stuck, regular replacement of battery (120USD/15months or so), fan (12USD/year) and heating are bothering me. And don't have any chance to up things.

So decided to get a good PC... and play something when bored.

I like Xeon's but when i previously looked for them they were not available.

I think i will go with them if i get compatible motherboard and ram ELSE i will go with i 7 4770...

Also more inclined to get Asus MB as i haven't had a single problem in my last 8 yrs with one we used to have or friends/relatives.

Thanks
you are right,availability of the Xeon processor is the main factor.
so as per your usage here is the suitable rig...
Processor -Intel Core i7-4770 Processor -21000,

Motherboard -Asus H87-Pro Motherboard -10000,

SSD -Samsung 840 Evo 128GB SSD -6500,

HDD -Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB -4100,(you can add more later)

Ram -Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB -5500,

PSU -Antec VP550P psu -3500,

Cabinet -Corsair 400R -5000,

GPU -Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 270X with Boost OC 2 GB 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card -15000,

KM Combo -Logitech MK200 USB 2.0 Keyboard and Mouse Combo -800,
Total -71,400:mrgreen:

> WD Blue 1 TB is available for ~3.8k locally.

> For ram, get this: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL) - G.Skill: Flipkart.com

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
I have read on some forum that if i need to spend on i7 it should be on K versions... can someone help me understand this.

Does OC'ing mean changing settings like 3.5GHz to 3.8Ghz of CPU and setting 10%, 15% of ram frequency in BIOS?

Kindly help me finding a good article where i can learn about it.

ALSO do i need a cooler if i get a K version and don't plan to overclock it?

AND i have a lot of air pollution (dust) in our locality, so keeping in mind that i clean up every week which of the 500R / 400R / CM 690 3 is better ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Intel Desktop versions of i5 and i7 come in two flavor K series and non-K series. When you pair a K series Processor, irrespective of its type (like i7 or i5 or currently the unlocked Pentium dual Core), to a compatible Z series (Z87 for Haswell or 4th Gen Core series), you can overclock the CPU and yes, it means running the processor at higher speed than the stock speed.. You can overclock it to way beyond 3.8GHz, provided you have good CPU cooler. That's why the K series Processors and Z series motherboards are costlier than their respective Non-K counterparts.

If you get a K series Processor not planning to overclock it then what's the point of getting it in the 1st place by paying extra money?

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
This should be my final config mostly... (until and unless some one suggests me better one)

Processor - Intel Core i7-4770 Processor -21000,

Motherboard - Asus H87-Pro Motherboard -10000,

SSD - Samsung 840 Evo 128GB SSD -6500,

HDD - Western Digital Red 2TB - 7400,

Ram - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB -4500,

PSU - Corsair TX650M -6500,

Cabinet - Corsair 400R/Coolermaster HAF 912 Combat -5000 (or) CM 690 lll - 7300,

GPU -Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 270X with Boost OC 2 GB 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card -15000 (or) Sapphire/HIS R9 280X 3GB -23000 (which i plan to get a month or 2 later),

KB Combo - Logitech K270 Wireless Keyboard -1400.

Total -77,300 to 87,600

- - - Updated - - -

Kindly suggest me Seasonic PSU and a good CPU cooler for this as i run it most of the day (16-18hrs)

would be getting it next week

Thank You

mastermunj

In the zone
Since you are not going with K version, I would suggest Xeon processor and save around 2K there.
This is same approach I am following.

By opting for little less costly motherboard you can save 2K here too.

Try checking SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
Since you are not going with K version, I would suggest Xeon processor and save around 2K there.
This is same approach I am following.

Availability of the Xeon processor is main thing... if i can find it i will definitely go for it.

Meanwhile someone suggest me a compatible Motherboard and ECC Ram (if it is priced less i will get it) for Xeon Processor E3-1230 v3 or E3-1245 v3.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I only find Xeon's on the it depot... (have to see if i can get them locally) are they reliable to get one ?

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Newegg.com - Learning Center,Desktop Memory
do you really think that you need ECC ram?? get non-ecc ones and asus h87 pro. the availability of such mobo supporting ecc memory is a great problem. so if anything happens during the warranty period, the replacement may take a huge time. Unless you think to make this pc a workstation one running 24X7, get normal ram and suggested mobo.

- - - Updated - - -

This should be my final config mostly... (until and unless some one suggests me better one)

Cabinet - Corsair 400R/Coolermaster HAF 912 Combat -5000 (or) CM 690 lll - 7300,

GPU -Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 270X with Boost OC 2 GB 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card -15000 (or) Sapphire/HIS R9 280X 3GB -23000 (which i plan to get a month or 2 later),

Total -77,300 to 87,600

- - - Updated - - -

Kindly suggest me Seasonic PSU and a good CPU cooler for this as i run it most of the day (16-18hrs)

would be getting it next week

Thank You

if xeon e3 1245 v3 is cheaper, then opt for that. remember xeon 1230v3 does not have any integrated gpu. so you always need a gpu to get display out.
for the ssd, let me suggest t oget samsung 830 pro 128gb at 9k as it has 5 years of warranty compared to 3 for the evo version.
for the psu, seasonic m12 650. else go for corsair tx 650v2.tx 650m has inferior quality than the previous version as it has make some compromise for that semi-modularity thing.
for the cpu cooler, get antec a40, cooler master hyper tx3.
remember, you cant overclock with those selected cpus.

OP
W

WhenKey

Broken In
Newegg.com - Learning Center,Desktop Memory
do you really think that you need ECC ram?? get non-ecc ones and asus h87 pro. the availability of such mobo supporting ecc memory is a great problem. so if anything happens during the warranty period, the replacement may take a huge time. Unless you think to make this pc a workstation one running 24X7, get normal ram and suggested mobo.

- - - Updated - - -

if xeon e3 1245 v3 is cheaper, then opt for that. remember xeon 1230v3 does not have any integrated gpu. so you always need a gpu to get display out.
for the ssd, let me suggest t oget samsung 830 pro 128gb at 9k as it has 5 years of warranty compared to 3 for the evo version.
for the psu, seasonic m12 650. else go for corsair tx 650v2.tx 650m has inferior quality than the previous version as it has make some compromise for that semi-modularity thing.
for the cpu cooler, get antec a40, cooler master hyper tx3.
remember, you cant overclock with those selected cpus.

So from the price point of view its not preferable to get ECC and suitable moderboard.

So i think... this is final.

Processor - Intel Xeon E3 1240 V3 (or) Intel Xeon E3 1245 V3 / (or) / Intel Core i7-4770 Processor -21000

Cpu cooler - Hyper TX3 EVO - 1500

Total -79,000 to 89,000

Top Bottom