i7 3930k should I overclock?

Vincent Signorelli

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,

I'm kind of new to this forum this being my first post I recently got a new machine but you don't want to hear that you came here to answer the question. So my question is Can I overclock/ Should I overclock. I'm running the 3930k 3.2GHz Stock 3.8 Turbo and its running at exactly 3.9GHz It looks like its idling at about 45-46 C. My cooling system is a Pushpull 120mm Radiator connected to the CPU directly.

So my question is Can/Should I overclock. I do alot of gaming Arma 2 really interested in arma 3, and I want to start getting into recording at 1080p while I play too so I know you would need a good processor for quick rendering.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
You can try overclocking as long as its below threshold temperature of CPU ( ~ 90C ). You'll see good improvements in rendering applications like Video conversion, Editing, Animation, Benchmarks along with 3-5 fps increase in most games.

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
OCing is a good idea though if you have a Aftermarket cooler (not he Cr@p stock one) you can easily hit 4.5 or 5GHz with little change in the voltage if you know How to OC then go for it or Google is your best friend there are plenty of guides start with any one of them

Naxal

Little Kid
What are some downsides to Overclock because this CPU is brand new, and I don't want to cut off any insurances.

Burnt CPU, lose of warranty claim :p

But usually most of todays motherboard comes with BIOS to read CPU temp and option to force shutdown if and when crossing the limit line.

Better motherboards with BIOS meant for serious OC has many options to cut down the risk.

OC is risky if you are doing something you dont know else, the only price you pay is unstable system till you reach a stable point with getting all settings right :)

Burnt CPU, lose of warranty claim :p

But usually most of todays motherboard comes with BIOS to read CPU temp and option to force shutdown if and when crossing the limit line.

Better motherboards with BIOS meant for serious OC has many options to cut down the risk.

OC is risky if you are doing something you dont know else, the only price you pay is unstable system till you reach a stable point with getting all settings right :)

correct !

i have a old pentium d @3.4 ghz and my intel old mobo too have this feature then ur mobo may have it!

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Post your system config.
IMO, your idle temps are a tad high. Get a custom cpu cooler anyway, OC or not.

With 6cores(x2), you need more speed ? Some rendering you must be doing :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom