I Want My XP Icons Back......

Status
Not open for further replies.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Broken In
hey....whats' this....???
i installed longhorn trans' pack 7.......n then un-installed it......
the longhorn has left its mark behind..... it took away my default icons for folders, my computer n all...... i tried to restore default icons in the display settings but didn't work....plz.....help...

theraven

Technomancer
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Plz tell me from where i can get da free LONGHORN cd ,, beta version
SEARCHHHHHH
its "I-L-L-E-G-A-L"
UNLESS u ar an official BETA tester !!!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

technoteen actually i think thats modified the shell32.dll etc system files ..
there has to be an "undo" option
since its a transformation pack
it MUST've backed up ur older files ...
and THERE MUST be an "undo" option
usually in a .BAT format
atleast its like this in MAC OS transformation pack
search in the directory u installed it in ..
or just search for "shell32.dll"
see where all they are
if its anywhere except ur i386 folder and system32 folder and dllcache folder .. itsur old file ..
ull know this my modified date and size ( it will be different)
that folder will contain ur other backed up files as well
so u can use those

alternatively and simply put u can just insert ud winxp cd and use the sfc /scannow command from start menu=> run
:twisted:

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
F.R.I.E.N.D.S said:
hey....whats' this....???
i installed longhorn trans' pack 7.......n then un-installed it......
the longhorn has left its mark behind..... it took away my default icons for folders, my computer n all...... i tried to restore default icons in the display settings but didn't work....plz.....help...

It was WINDOWS X's LOnghorn Transformation Pack... given with DIGIT DVD... lemme first say I hate it... 'coz it's uninstaller build by him doesn't restore **original** system files... also it doesn't create backup while installing it...

Hmmm... the reason why your **default** XP Icons are there is 'coz during installation LHTPack patched lot of DLL, CPL and EXE Files in system,direcories e.g. %SystemRoot% and \system32...

Windows Default icons are located here in this DLL file %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.DLL

Which is patched by LHTPack... now to get this file back... you can do this... assuming you're on XPSP2...

Start Wndows in Safe Mode... > CTRL+ALT+DEL... and terminate EXPLORER.EXE ... and now from Task manager browse here %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 > Locate following files here...

SHELL21.DLL
moricons.dll
mydocs.dll

some EXE (except logonui.exe and winlogon.exe 'coz they may create problem and delay boot anfd login time) & CPL Files you know who's icons are changed due to LHTPack...

And paste them all to \system32

Restart...

This sould solve your problem...

If this fails then Software Soultion : Download shareware versions of Axialis IconWorkshop (for creating and editing) and Tune-up WinStyler (folr modifying) and Microangelo 5.5 (for creating and modyfying) change allmost every icon in Windows XP....

Tech&ME

Banned
Hey, Its simple to get back thoese icons, all u need to do is right click on your desktop and choose properties, now switch to Settings Tab and there in the Colour dropdown list change from 32bit to 16bit, your screen will go blank for a moment and will comeback now u can see that the icons has been restored, now go back and change it from 16bit to 32bit. If this doesnot solve your problem delete the file IconCache (search for it ) and restart windows, windows will recreate this file automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom