I need your help in selecting motherboard for file server

rana123

Right off the assembly line
Hello ! I need your help in selecting motherboard for file server. my situation is: i need to assemble a rack mount file server for one organization with 200-250 remote users (teleworkers) who constantly download/upload different type of traffic. This is my first experience in putting together such a server, so i really rely on you!
What i currently have from requirements that it has to be 2U 6 Bay server on 100 Mbps channel, with 6 SATA3 or SATA2 drivers, RAID controller 0,1,5,10. There are lots of data, so i plan to buy 2 TB driver each. There are lots of details to consider before buying a motherboard, like type of chipset, processor, power unit, RAM etc. I'm afraid that i will buy lots of memory, but the server will not be able to perform such tasks. So i wanna hear your suggestions about requirements to hardware and maybe you can give me some examples of motherboards which fit the file server.
Thank you!

Naxal

Little Kid
i need to assemble a rack mount file server for one organization

Why assembling ?

Why not purchasing a full proper Rack system from IBM or Dell or HP type builders ?

I doubt about availability of such hardware in Indian retail market

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
@OP : Can you specify the budget allocated for this File server ? In one of my previous organizations we used to have IBM System Storage DS3512 Express. The cost factor for this system would be I think around 5.5 Lacs. The one we had was with 6 x 1TB SAS Drives and they were upgradable. Take a look at following link... costs given are always negotiable when you contact IBM Sales persons.

IBM - Storage Devices Offering for Tape Library, Autoloader, Drives - Storage - India

Also try calling them on 1800 425 3333.

And also as rightly said by Naxal in previous post go for full proper system from reputed companies as it'll give you piece of mind along with future support and proper upgrade options.

Top Bottom