I need help in building a PC for my son (in 10+2) for beginners in animation field.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Re: I need help in building a PC for my son (in 10+2) for beginners in animation fie

Isn't MSI 890 GXM G65 (for 7.2K) a better board with onboard graphics? Then I can wait for EVGA 460GTX. For a better board I can spend upto 10K as, for the time being, I shall continue with my existing monitor, cabinet and even HDD so that the final setup, after about six months, should be a nice one.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: I need help in building a PC for my son (in 10+2) for beginners in animation fie

not much difference in performance. as both are IGP. just it depends what games you'll run & at what resolution.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

Phenom II X6 1055T
MSI 890GXM G65
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9 Titanium
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Corsair VX450W or 550W (
whichever available)

Now I am placing order for the above.
I shall wait for EVGA GTX460. I hope it will not have any compatiblity issue with the above.

Last edited:
OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

Phenom II X6 1055T
MSI 890GXM G65
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9 Titanium
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Corsair VX450W or 550W (
whichever available)

Now I am placing order for the above.
I shall wait for EVGA GTX460. I hope it will not have any compatiblity issue with the above.

I have placed order for the above with lynx-india at chandigarh. However, I still want to be assured from digit community experts that the above set-up will be better than i5-750 with MSI-P55-GD80, other parts remain the same. Regarding level of animation etc. pl keep in view that my son will be just stepping into this field as a student.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member

However, I still want to be assured from digit community experts that the above set-up will be better than i5-750 with MSI-P55-GD80, other parts remain the same.
In a nutshell, Core i5-750 is slightly better than Phenom II X6 1055t if we talk about gaming. Games at the moment are not optimized for 6 cores.

Whereas as far as your son's work is concerned i.e. animation/rendering/video encoding etc., these applications would be GREATLY benefited by 1055t's extra two cores.

If we talk about the future, Intel will phase out socket LGA 1166 and X6 1055t will only get faster as more and more applications will utilize the extra cores.

Secondly, the motherboard which you have chosen - MSI 890GXM G65 has SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 which you aren't getting with any of H55 chipset motherboard for Core i5-750 at the same price.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

In a nutshell, Core i5-750 is slightly better than Phenom II X6 1055t if we talk about gaming. Games at the moment are not optimized for 6 cores.

Whereas as far as your son's work is concerned i.e. animation/rendering/video encoding etc., these applications would be GREATLY benefited by 1055t's extra two cores.

If we talk about the future, Intel will phase out socket LGA 1166 and X6 1055t will only get faster as more and more applications will utilize the extra cores.

Secondly, the motherboard which you have chosen - MSI 890GXM G65 has SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 which you aren't getting with any of H55 chipset motherboard for Core i5-750 at the same price.

i5 750 is much faster than X6 in gaming. X6 much better than i5 750 in rendering, so it comes whats more important.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

Purchased from Lynx, Chandigarh on 16.08.2010.

x6 1055T @ 9.8k
MSI 890GXM G65 @ 7k
WD CB 500 GB @ 2.7k
Corsair 550VX @ 4.6k
Corsair 1600Mhz C9 2x2GB @ 6k
BenQ E2200HD (with HDMI cable)@ 8.6k
CM Elite 430 @ 2.5k
Logitech KB and Mouse @ 0.7k
HP F4488 Deskjet Copy/Scan/Print @ 3.7k
APC 600VA UPS @ 2k
(Prices without VAT)
Total 49.6k including VAT

GPU- kept pending for 6 months. Presently using onboard graphics.
Processor OC to 3.3Ghz on HSF with CnQ enabled.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

congrats. price is excellent. specially the UPS & monitor.

mavihs

Techie By Heart

so how do you find the RIG & how was your experience with Lynx?

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

@sam.shab There is a correction - The monitor price does not include price of HDMI cable but I did not pay for that. It appears Lynx gave it as complementry for the whole package.

@mavihs I didnt love my Rig initially as I was a bit inclined towards Intel. I purchsed AMD as everybody recommended it and have more knowledge as compared to me. For tasks such as office documents it appears to be at par with my earlier P4. May be because of CnQ it normally runs at 1 Ghz. It is,however, yet to be used for the purpose it was bought.

Lynx is OK but its Director is very much vocal and irritates.
I placed my order on 12 Aug. They arranged everything by next day. I collected on 16th personally (I live in Ludhiana). They even assembled everything free of cost. It was a nice shopping experience.

But all these shops/dealers shut their eys and ears after selling. The next day, when I unboxed the printer, the paper feed tray got detatched from printer. One of the 'hinges' on which it moved was either not there or was broken. The Lynx people flatly refused to help and blamed me for the breakage, if any. I took up the matter with HP call center. They, without any question asked, gave me a Ticket No and asked me to get it replaced from the dealer against this ticket no. OR offered for repalcement of the Tray from Ludhiana Service Centre. I opted for the later and everyting is fine now.

Last edited:

mavihs

Techie By Heart

@sam.shab There is a correction - The monitor price does not include price of HDMI cable but I did not pay for that. It appears Lynx gave it as complementry for the whole package.

@mavihs I didnt love my Rig initially as I was a bit inclined towards Intel. I purchsed AMD as everybody recommended it and have more knowledge as compared to me. For tasks such as office documents it appears to be at par with my earlier P4. May be because of CnQ it normally runs at 1 Ghz. It is,however, yet to be used for the purpose it was bought.

Lynx is OK but its Director is very much vocal and irritates.
I placed my order on 12 Aug. They arranged everything by next day. I collected on 16th personally (I live in Ludhiana). They even assembled everything free of cost. It was a nice shopping experience.

But all these shops/dealers shut their eys and ears after selling. The next day, when I unboxed the printer, the paper feed tray got detatched from printer. One of the 'hinges' on which it moved was either not there or was broken. The Lynx people flatly refused to help and blamed me for the breakage, if any. I took up the matter with HP call center. They, without any question asked, gave me a Ticket No and asked me to get it replaced from the dealer against this ticket no. OR offered for repalcement of the Tray from Ludhiana Service Centre. I opted for the later and everyting is fine now.
you'll notice the difference once you start using its for the purpose you bought!
Also as i said its not recommended to buy from Lynx. look right in the start you have got this prob, think about the fute if you get any prob with your h/w.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

@mavihs I dont remember when you cautioned me against Lynx!
But still Lynx is not bad. They quoted competetive rates, delivered in time and assembled the things. Moreover, they repaired my old PC, which was declared 'beyond repair' at Ludhiana. And that too for Rs.500/-.
Lynx can be the best if its director becomes polite and concerned for customers.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member

lol, I have heard a lot about Amarbir. (Lynx's director)

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

lol, I have heard a lot about Amarbir. (Lynx's director)

He is just overconfident and proudy. The "I" factor in him is his problem. Can't speak politly. But he is a good employer. Defends his staff vis a vis customers but shouts mercilessely over them.
Still he is a nice person.

acewin

Point Blanc

LOL, @ysmonyog, nVidia card on AMD mobo will be fine no issues.
animation maya etc etc... are proccy and core heavy apps so AMD without a doubt with 6 cores is better choice on intel i5, nVidia even with getting beaten down by ati cards steal performs better in these kind of rendering applications(even after 6 months when you are in position of buying a card better go with nVidia). For the purpose you have bought it will go good do not worry.

non-service by shop these kind of issues happen often but no need to worry, most of the time you will find that they direct you direct away to the parts manufacturer's service center and IMO it is a better idea(Also my service center's experience has been better than shop's from where I bought), because most of the company offers free service while there is warranty and your printer is a HP printer, HP has quiet better reach every places due to number of sales they do.

rahul_digit

Right off the assembly line

hey guys i m a biggner in the field of 3D animation with very basic knowledge about the animation softwares i m planning to buy a desktop for running following softwares that r included in mi course

Softwares Covered:

• Adobe Photoshop™
• Adobe After Effects™
• Adobe Premiere™
• Adobe Sound Booth™

• Autodesk 3dsmax™
• Autodesk Maya™
• Autodesk Mudbox™

• Eyeon Fusion™
• Apple Final Cut Pro™
• Autodesk Matchmover™

+ i wana play games like Crysis, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Morden Warfare, Splintercell:Conviction, NFS Shift, BurnOut, Split Second
& i have all of these games right now with me the CD's r just kept in the covers accumilating dust coz i dont have a hardware to run these

plz suggest me a complete CPU+GPU config that "would not get outdated for at least 3 years" & yaa do suggest me weather for the use do i need a full HD display or the normal is enough

Mi budget is "max 35k" (complete including CPU+Display+keyboard&mouse+MS Xbox gamepad+a head set) BUT if that dosn't seems enough u can suggest me anything "below 45k"

i want a machine which would work flawlessly under any circumstances
& what so ever damn better then a "Dell Studio 15 with a ATI Mobility Readeon HD 5470 1GB" which was mi earlier choice

sorry for posting this query here but i was in need and thought u guys were already discussing this over here so any one of u could suggest me some thing acutlly i have selected this confi up till now any thing 2 add up guyz plz do tell me mi budget is "40k max"

Processor: AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz

Graphic Card: ATI Radeon 5670 (1 GB) (can suggest any other card which is better in the range of 10k)

Cabinate: Cooler Master Elite 310 or some thing basic form cooler master with 360 W

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2x2) 1600 MHz DDR3

HD: WD Caviar Black 500 GB

Mother Board: i want a mother board which would not get outdated soon enough at least i should be able to add up graphic cards form either of the brands NVIDIA or ATI

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ already answered in another thread. anyway, you made a good config buy heres some modification so it suites your apps:

Processor: Phenom II X6 1050T @ ~10k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA880GM-US2H or any other Gigabyte 785G/880G based board @ below 5k (don't waste too much money on motherboard)
Ram: get the one you choose.
HDD: ok. nice choice there.
Graphics Card: get the newly launched GTS450 1Gb (reason is your apps will use CUDA & run faster & speed up the encoding. AMD isn't a very good choice until you going for Pro cards)
PSU: Corsair VX450 @ 3.7k (don't get Cooler Master or any other local PSU).
Cabby: any cabby you like. just return the stock PSU.

rahul_digit

Right off the assembly line

thankx a lot 4 ur reply but do tell me how do i need to improve over the above the above is costing me 30k

is the Phenom II X6 1050T @ ~10k a black edition .....? & the mother board u suggested is it SLI & Crossfire Compatible .....? coz i m afraid if the mother board gets out dated its very fatel :D
neways why did u ask me to not go for a Cooler Master SMPS is it not ok i was going for a CM Elite 310 Cabinate with SMPS what do u say .....?

and i want 2 change the Graphic Card to XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1GB) how is that ....? & i had selected the Processor 965 (3.4GHz) coz it was the best among its class of Black Edition Processors whats worng with it i just have a budget of "40K Max"

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

thankx a lot 4 ur reply but do tell me how do i need to improve over the above the above is costing me 30k

is the Phenom II X6 1050T @ ~10k a black edition .....? & the mother board u suggested is it SLI & Crossfire Compatible .....? coz i m afraid if the mother board gets out dated its very fatel :D
neways why did u ask me to not go for a Cooler Master SMPS is it not ok i was going for a CM Elite 310 Cabinate with SMPS what do u say .....?

and i want 2 change the Graphic Card to XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1GB) how is that ....? & i had selected the Processor 965 (3.4GHz) coz it was the best among its class of Black Edition Processors whats worng with it i just have a budget of "40K Max"

you can improve by going for GTX460 1Gb.

no. 1050T isn't a BE. but its Overclock potential is terrific. can reach 3.5ghz easily. the board doesn't support Xfire or SLI as it have a single PCIeX16 slot.

why did you say its fatal if its outdated & doesn't support multi GPU solution? i didn't get you at all.

Cooler Master Extreme Power PSU lineup prone to damage. they blow up when put under load or even under normal usage. also i doubt Cooler Master will provide warranty on blown PSU. add to it, if a PSU goes up, chances are it'll damage the board, proccy & the graphics card which the manufacturer won't provide warranty as its damaged by spike.
if you go for the Real Power or Silent Pro, Corsair, Seasonic are better choice here.

XFX ---> always have heating issue. Rashi Peripherals, distributor treat customers badly & deny RMA mostly. its like kicking your own @$$.

HD5770 ---> no CUDA/PhysX. good for gaming but not so good when coming to animation use.

are you going to overclock? if yes than get the X6 1055T. even if you don't OC, X6 1055T suites your apps more. they need more thread, not more speed. also 965 is badly priced.

rajan1311

Padawan

just wondering, how much does a GPU like HD 5770 help in programs like Maya?How well do those softwares use the GPU?

Top Bottom