I had to buy a digiCam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
SLR will need extra zooming lenses to do it. Hence they had more superior zoom quality.

Is there only two choices to make SX100IS and A720IS.

Good Morning :)
I too was going to get the A720 IS at first, but then purchased SX100 IS which offers more optical zoom, better looker than A720 IS etc.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
A720IS is rated much much higher then SX100IS everywhere. but sx100is has 10x zoom while A720is has 6x zoom. difference of 4x.............

What about the image quality of those two which one is better?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
canon A720IS vs SX100 IS
These two camera use the same CCD sensor and internal computer (engine).
Their performance should be the same.
Their low light ability should be the same.

You may find that the lack of a viewfinder on the SX100IS will be a problem in bright sunlight.

If you use a 6X optical zoom camera for awhile, you will find that further zoom is seldom needed.

Your concern for low light and action performance bothers me.
If you have plans of sports photography under artificial lights, you will likely be disappointed with either camera.

Under those conditions, the cameras will have to use their highest ISO settings (1600) to get enough light. This will result in too much noise in the photo.
If ISO-1600 is not enough, the camera must lower the shutter speed; which will likely result in blurred photos or blurred action.

For action photos during daytime, both cameras will perform well.

------------

I would have to disagree. Even if the viewfinder is easier to see in bright sunlight, the one on the A720 IS is small (oddly, the viewfinder on the Canon A570 IS is bigger!) and does not have good sealing. How do I know? I bought the A720 IS, used it, and returned it. The main reason I returned it was because it had dust in the viewfinder. I found this to be a big problem in bright light when I used the viewfinder. Sadly, most of the people I know who have camera's with viewfinders have dust in them. Mine was brand new, and it had dust right out of the package.
Also, I was in situations when I couldn't zoom in far enough. Even at family gatherings, there were times when I wanted to take a picture of someone across the room, but I couldn't zoom in far enough.
I'm probably going for the SX100 IS now.

If you're really worried about not being able to see in bright light, get a camera with an EVF. Some people don't like them, but personally, I like them better than optical viewfinders.

Source

found thru google search - canon A720IS vs SX100 IS :D

i'm going for PowerShot SX100 IS.

imgame2

Padawan
canon A720IS vs SX100 IS

Source

found thru google search - canon A720IS vs SX100 IS :D

i'm going for PowerShot SX100 IS.

the quote still doesn't still answer ..why is SX100IS better ?...some people say ...10x zoom is not required some say it is required ....but ultimately i think the basic quality of picture matters we won't be using zoom every time ??....people can have issue with dust on lens and all ..but i don't think thats a huge issue ...for some it may be important ..but for others its not ...

so whats the difference between them?...the quality of pictures between the two ??

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
the quote still doesn't still answer ..why is SX100IS better ?...some people say ...10x zoom is not required some say it is required ....but ultimately i think the basic quality of picture matters we won't be using zoom every time ??....people can have issue with dust on lens and all ..but i don't think thats a huge issue ...for some it may be important ..but for others its not ...

so whats the difference between them?...the quality of pictures between the two ??
picture quality is same (maybe slight difference), as the above quoted msg reasons somewhat.
the 9 point autofocus in the A720 is apparently not included in sx100is

i didnt use the "advanced"(forgot mode name) autofocus feature in my sony DSC P41, just used basic auto focus.

for me, Zoom is a big nessecity, as i shoot a lot from Car :)), & take pics at my garden, birds (sometimes owls come :eek:), squirrels:p.... zoom is a must;) (for me)

owl pic on sony dsc p41
*img145.imageshack.us/img145/1802/dsc06141rrd1.th.jpg*img145.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif
camera like sx100is cud have given much better clarity, zoom...

imgame2

Padawan
thats cool ...but sometimes in some camera zooming after an extent might distort the picture quality i hope this is not the case with sx100is...

and u must have a nice collection of beautiful pictures ...do u upload them to some site or just keep it to urself ??

looking forward to review from Cool G5.....:)

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Re: a completely different game than anyone is used to

All I can say with complete certainty is that healing is a completely different game than anyone is used to -- and not just for Paladins. These downranking changes are going to require rethinking of standard healing strategy for all classes.By the way, our cheap power leveling is still on sale, please come to us if you need the wow gold and wow power leveling service, you can come to our site have a look, compare the price and the level what you decide to order and buy wow powerleveling and wow gold from us.

Who is this spam.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Cannon launched new camera :|
PowerShot SX110 IS
Canon has launched the super-zoom PowerShot SX110 IS, which replaces the SX100 IS. With an increased resolution and a more compact build than its predecessor, the 9MP SX110 IS offers a 3.0” LCD, 10x optical zoom, Image Stabilization, Face Detection, Motion Detection and a new Easy Mode.
*img510.imageshack.us/img510/7452/canonsx110is001kc0.jpg
*img510.imageshack.us/img510/canonsx110is001kc0.jpg/1/w480.png
(they just updated their site)
will try to get this one:p

price= $279

edit-
Memory Card Support
In addition to SD, SDHC and MMC memory cards, the PowerShot SX110 IS supports MMCplus and HC MMCplus card formats. It is supplied with a 32MB memory card.

Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB and Face Select & Track
Canon’s Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB system automatically detects up to nine faces within a frame before adjusting focus, exposure, flash and white balance to ensure optimal results. It is able to determine which faces are intended to be the subject, instantly reverting to the partnering 9-point AiAF system if no face is the primary subject. Face Select & Track allows the user to select a particular face to be the main subject of a photograph and track it, for the best possible results.

....more

*www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15672

Last edited:

thanglian

Right off the assembly line
You guys have not considered the Nikon Coolpix P80,, its a great camera,, brought it for 22.95K from authorised nikon dealer with two years warranty.
Features:

18X optical zoom with vibration reduction
10.1 Megapixels
ISO 64-6400 :-D
Full auto to full manual control

*www.nikon.co.in/productitem.php?pid=1238-ef493c1f28

The price which i have paid is from the authorised dealer. If you are getting it from the grey market, im sure you'll get it for around 16-17K

Or, if you still prefer a canon, then check out the Canon S5 IS,,, still a good one..

Or a sony H50

I have considered the above three models, P80, S5 IS and H50,, finally decided on the nikon P80,,,

pros:
great optical zoom, vibration reduction is great,, ISO levels are large, and the option of full auto to full manual (you can control the exposure, the shutter speed, the ISO etc etc)

cons:
(other than this two cons, i find the nikon better than the rest)
compared to the Sony H50, the burst shooting mode can shoot only 13 images, while in sony H50, you can f**king shoot upto 100 images in the burst shooting mode
battery is nikon battery, while the canon is 4 AA batteries, which is great coz you can buy it from any department store,, - for AA batteries, i recommend Camelion Ni-MH AA rechargeable batteries, with 2500mAH,, comes at around 800 with the charger
and if you want to shoot at night ;) with absolutely no light (0 lumens), you can shoot with Sony H50 - gives a decent result

As for D-SLRs like, Nikon D series, D40, D40x, D50, D60 or Canon EOS series, they are
1. expensive
2. require lenses
3. careful handling is required, especially to keep it away from dust
4. but they give excellent pictures and you can shoot in RAW mode

the above, P80, S5 or H50 dont require you to buy any extra lenses, so its good if you want to invest once and dont want to invest on it again and again,, and believe me, the lenses are expesive

keeping it clean is very crucial and in dusty environment like india, that is tough

And with all the camera body (camera kit) and the lenses and flash and batteries, its very bulky to carry around

So, i would suggest you settle for a prosumer camera, all in one like the above, unless you want to turn pro one day and open a photo studio as a back up profession :D

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
@thanglian
people have budget here about 15k and they are not buying from grey market ....so i don't think its wise to go for that camera

@s18000 rpm ...

another new camera .......wait for its review to come out ...and go only if its better than sx100is

newbie_animation

Right off the assembly line
yea, budget is 15K

but, a friend reasoned with me saying that, if you are buying a nikon or canon or a sony, they are good companies with good products, so there is no much maintenance or repairing required as their products rarely break down,, so even a grey market buy dont make much difference as you dont require the warranty,, and even if you have a problem, the dealer from where you have brought it (say gaffar market in delhi), they will arrange to get it serviced at original nikon/sony/canon service centres through their arrangements,, so, its not so bad,,,
but, best is original with proper warranty, no tension!!

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Ya too checked the SX110IS but there are no reviews out yet. This one has a wide angle also.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
sx110is is an updated sx100is

has features that sx100is lacked ;)

so i think it'll be a bit more comfortable than sx100is.

compare the features of sx110 & sx100 at cannon website [link]

*img215.imageshack.us/img215/8154/capturegs6.th.jpg

acewin

Point Blanc
yea, budget is 15K

but, a friend reasoned with me saying that, if you are buying a nikon or canon or a sony, they are good companies with good products, so there is no much maintenance or repairing required as their products rarely break down,, so even a grey market buy dont make much difference as you dont require the warranty,, and even if you have a problem, the dealer from where you have brought it (say gaffar market in delhi), they will arrange to get it serviced at original nikon/sony/canon service centres through their arrangements,, so, its not so bad,,,
but, best is original with proper warranty, no tension!!

Big NO to such thoughts, no authenticity of that.
My friend bought Canon G7 from US, hence no Indian warranty, got issues with the camera in 5-6 months some battery issue or something, he got it repaired on his own money, it was a minor issue hence had not to pay alot getting it repaired by its not always the same.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
An upgrade to S5IS is launching but don't know its available in India or not.
Its S10 IS with 20x optical zoom. but its price would be high higher.
If anyone finds the preview of SX110 IS and its price in India please inform.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Friends Cannon has launced its new products in India. But till now I had found only SX110 IS prices in India at the following link. Why is it so cheap at ebay. Is it without VAT or VAT is included in it.

*stores.ebay.in/jk-camerazone

Now here is the review of it. You must say this should be your choice. Check it and comments.
*www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/10/03/Canon-PowerShot-SX110-IS/p1

chitvan

Journeyman
canon`s site showing 16,995...
see here...
*site-in.canon-asia.com/prod_comp/price.cfm?cat=digitalcamera&prod=88&prod2=0

SX1(20X,40,000) & SX10(20X,27,000) are not available in india yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom