I feel movies have reached a level of saturation and boredom with respect to special effects

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
While watching iron man 3, when Tony Stark handles the touchscreen interface in his office with his hands, its supposed to be like "Cool" , but that technology is already a reality( maybe not in that detail). Kinect can manage that UI if someone codes it that way.

Similarly, other cool gadgets/ tech doesnt feel like futuristic. In fact, many companies/scientisits are working on these so called "futuristic" Tech (links below) like Star trek sliding doors which perceive a user's running speed and open/close at the right time and smartphones projecting holograms( which could be further developed by allowing us to control the holograms with our hands). I can see these gadgets in action by 2025.

Many of us in geekdom are aware of the latest developments in the tech world and hence i wanted to ask whether you guys also feel that there really isn't any new technology being imagine in movies which will "blow your mind away". However, i am hoping Nolan proves me wrong with Interstellar :D

Top 10 Best Kinect Hacks | Kinect Hacks

New technology may soon allow your smartphone to project 3D holograms - The Times of India

Star Trek smart sliding doors are finally a reality - Pocket-lint

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
When I first saw Minority Report years ago, it blew me away. When Matrix came out, it blew whole world away. Before that with Star Wars/Trek it defined many techs that later on became a reality.

But these days? I went to watch 2012 iteration of "Total Recall". Disappointed. I went with high expectations to watch "Oblivion". Disappointed yet again. "After Earth", lost all hopes. So, I agree, its hard to come by a film that 'blows' me away anymore.

Personally I think, we are saturated with special effects, and shift now a days is more towards Story and premise. Which is not a bad thing. Also, Live action animation is also trending.

I am not expecting much from "Interstellar". Since expectations disappoint.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
We should have full CGI movies like Final Fantasy or a movie made completely using a game engine like UE4
But I agree, the WOW factor is really gone from recent movies

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
all those interfaces that vika uses in the skytower? yep.. that's not cgi, at least not in the sense where you get actors to wave their hands in the air and add stuff later. those are for real touch screen panels with those HUDs and functional UI

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
When I first saw Minority Report years ago, it blew me away. When Matrix came out, it blew whole world away. Before that with Star Wars/Trek it defined many techs that later on became a reality.

But these days? I went to watch 2012 iteration of "Total Recall". Disappointed. I went with high expectations to watch "Oblivion". Disappointed yet again. "After Earth", lost all hopes. So, I agree, its hard to come by a film that 'blows' me away anymore.

Personally I think, we are saturated with special effects, and shift now a days is more towards Story and premise. Which is not a bad thing. Also, Live action animation is also trending.

I am not expecting much from "Interstellar". Since expectations disappoint.

All three movies were crap anyway ...

Man of steel was futuristic (Krypton Stuff :p ) . I think we are at the peak of what the Current Technology can do in terms of what is shown in movies , plus most movies try to be realistic nowadays , so that the general audience cares more , hence not much is too futuristic . Iron Man 3 being a Marvel Cinematic Universe is a pretty grounded movie in many ways .

Interstellar would be awesome story - acting wise but there wont be any breakthrough advancement in VFX in that movie and neither I think we will see those futuristic gadgets (being a Nolan Movies) .

Flash

Lost in speed
No. It isn't.

When i saw the transformation of TRANSFORMERS, i was mind-blown. In cartoon, the transformation is somewhat easy compared to the CGI involved in the movie. We can't except a good CGI in all the 10 movies, except 1 or 2 will have the best CGI, and we've to wait for it.

Top Bottom