I can't download the torrents I used to download

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Since moving to a cable based broadband I can't download the same torrents I used to with BSNL without any problems. I can't mention which those are but whatever. For some torrents the download won't even start, for some it does, but the speed is less of a quarter of my bandwith! I have tried different torrent clients too, but same, more or less.

Is there any way I can configure my connection best to work with all torrents? My simply brain tells me that these guys are simply throttling the speed or something like that, but I would really love to be wrong about this.

Here is just a screenshot (edited out according to this site's rules), you can see that the speed is hovering around 25-30 KB/s, when my connection is 2 mbps / 250 KB/s.

Attachments

• Torrent.jpg
    Torrent.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 210
A

amit.tiger12

Ok. For torrents there should be enough seeders to seed so you will get good speed.
This is not enough, some should use seedbox to seed torrent so as to give others great downloading speed.
You can ask ask uploader to to seed with high speed.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Ok. For torrents there should be enough seeders to seed so you will get good speed.
This is not enough, some should use seedbox to seed torrent so as to give others great downloading speed.
You can ask ask uploader to to seed with high speed.

good luck with that ;)
[MENTION=99398]ithehappy[/MENTION] try a torrent with large seed/leech ratio.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Torrents with plenty seeders aren't any problem like I mentioned, it's those which don't have plenty of seeds. But with BSNL even with those type of torrents I used to get full speed, but not with this cable one. I was seeing yesterday that an ISP's ability to connect to swarms matter here, but I don't know what swarm is.

No good quality torrent is there with plenty of seeds anyway. If I were into that Y**Y rips or like that this topic wouldn't be created at first place

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
There is an explanation I have seen somewhere that says something like - with cable broadband you are connected to the internet through a box with them. You are not directly connected to the internet. So port forwarding does not work and peers on the internet cannot see you. Torrent depends on peers being able to see and connect to you.

One solution suggested was to get a fixed IP.

Sorry I cannot be of further help.

StickySlime

Broken In
There is an explanation I have seen somewhere that says something like - with cable broadband you are connected to the internet through a box with them. You are not directly connected to the internet. So port forwarding does not work and peers on the internet cannot see you. Torrent depends on peers being able to see and connect to you.

One solution suggested was to get a fixed IP.

Sorry I cannot be of further help.

As I explained here, in this post: *forum.digit.in/broadband-dth/19619...unlimited-no-fup-post2279932.html#post2279932

Most cable broadband operators are "Double-NAT'd". That's most likely the issue that the OP is facing. My suggestion would be to download Tixati: Tixati.com - Home and configure it properly.

If you're still not able to saturate your broadband connection, then, when you're downloading a torrent, check the DHT port. If it says "DHT port unconfirmed", you can try to forward a few ports and configure them for use with Tixati. If that doesn't work, then you're stuck with the "Double-NAT" issue I explained in the post linked above.

Get a fixed IP from your ISP to sort this out.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
[MENTION=321928]StickySlime[/MENTION]

Thank you. That was your post I had read but wrongly recalled as having read on Reddit! I went searching there and was scratching my head when I couldn't find there.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
As I explained here, in this post: *forum.digit.in/broadband-dth/19619...unlimited-no-fup-post2279932.html#post2279932

Most cable broadband operators are "Double-NAT'd". That's most likely the issue that the OP is facing. My suggestion would be to download Tixati: Tixati.com - Home and configure it properly.

If you're still not able to saturate your broadband connection, then, when you're downloading a torrent, check the DHT port. If it says "DHT port unconfirmed", you can try to forward a few ports and configure them for use with Tixati. If that doesn't work, then you're stuck with the "Double-NAT" issue I explained in the post linked above.

Get a fixed IP from your ISP to sort this out.

OK. First of all thanks for the detailed explanation. Now few queries,

How do I achieve a fixed IP? Just by sending email to the company? I could be wrong but I think I have a static IP after all already! But I don't know how to make sure of that.

Secondly, how do I forward a port? I mean with which app? I found one called Network Port Forwarding or something but that costs 39.99 USD I think. When I run the Setup guide of uTorrent I see that my port is not open, and the setup never completed successfully. Though a friend of mine has same thing who is on cable broadband too. Image attached, the upload speed you see there is because I input it manually.

And lastly, how do I configure Tixati properly?

PS: Yep, I think my IP is static, it doesn't change after a system reboot.

Attachments

• uTorrent.jpg
    uTorrent.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

StickySlime

Broken In
OK. First of all thanks for the detailed explanation. Now few queries,

How do I achieve a fixed IP? Just by sending email to the company? I could be wrong but I think I have a static IP after all already! But I don't know how to make sure of that.

Secondly, how do I forward a port? I mean with which app? I found one called Network Port Forwarding or something but that costs 39.99 USD I think. When I run the Setup guide of uTorrent I see that my port is not open, and the setup never completed successfully. Though a friend of mine has same thing who is on cable broadband too. Image attached, the upload speed you see there is because I input it manually.

And lastly, how do I configure Tixati properly?

PS: Yep, I think my IP is static, it doesn't change after a system reboot.

To begin with, there's no reliable way to determine whether you're using a dynamic or a static IP address. One conventional method of doing so is to first check your current IP address by visiting a website such as What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and Mor

Then, disconnect the power to your modem / router. Wait for a minute, then turn it back on. Thereafter, check your IP address again. If it changes, you know that you have a dynamic IP allocation orientation, although it might take several tries of this to detect a static IP orientation. Keep in mind that just because your IP address doesn't refresh once you do the aforementioned, doesn't imply the fact that you have a static IP address. The most reliable way to do this, therefore, is to directly contact your ISP and ask them about it.

As far as port forwarding is concerned, well, I really shouldn't be taking the pain of explaining the entire process here, but I guess I'll try to give you a brief idea:

1. WIN+R -> type in "ipconfig" into the command prompt. Press enter. Make note of the IP address mentioned against "Default Gateway".

2. Open a web browser and type the IP address you just found. This should lead you to your modem/router's configuration panel.

3. Search google for steps on how to setup your computer to use a fixed local IP instead of a dynamic IP assigned by your router. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

4. This is the main part that you need to figure out yourself (tip: use google search for your router's model). You will need to find out where in your router's configuration pages can you can setup ports to be forwarded. Possibly, it might be under a link that reads "Port Forwarding".

5. When you finally find the above mentioned, use the "service name" as your computer's name. Your computer name can be found out by right clicking on the start menu button (Windows 8.1) and choosing "System". The port range should be what range of ports you're forwarding. For example 51000 - 52000 or anything similar. Internal and external ports will be the same. Also, if there's an option to select it, select your IP address as the static local IP that you had setup on your computer, previously. Save all the settings.

6. Once your router restarts, head over to Open Port Check Too and type in a port that you have just forwarded. You should thus be able to find out if its open or not. Otherwise, alternatively, download this: Download Portforward Network Utilities and use their port checker tool (FREE) to check the same.

Hope that helps.

Oh and, as far as Tixati configuration is concerned, that's a bit too detailed for me to explain it, but just try it out and you should be able to figure it out.

Top Bottom