Hw do i run both wndows and linux simultaneously..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Wubi.

Use CoLinux to run linux apps on windows.

Use virtualbox (or was it something else) and you can install windows within linux and have 2 taskbars, one for linux and one for windows, at the same time on your desktop. Google for more.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Depends on what he means by "with"
the two taskbar things is CoLinux only. Virtualbox opens up a window within a window.

Depends on what he means by "with"
the two taskbar things is CoLinux only. Virtualbox opens up a window within a window.
nope. there is also something for running windows IN linux as a taskbar. CoLinux is the other way round if I remember right.

PS: What should I know ? I just reboot the PC or use two different computers to run windows and linux apps :D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, CoLinux runs Linux on Windows. Not the other way around. Don't think there is anything that allows you to run Windows from Linux as a taskbar.... would imagine this to be some kind of virtualisation, if it exists.
CoLinux is great, but very buggy.

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
I have been using windows on my Ubuntu installation from the day i installed Ubuntu. Its pretty striaght forward and you can use ALL microsoft software without any hassle. The only drawback is that you wont get to play any real windows games using the current versions of VirtualBox.

@Arovit.. VirtualBox is the name of the package/software which is available from Sun Microsystems for free(for individual use only.. fully functional). Its available for windows as well as linux. I guess you are talking about 'virtual machines'.
You can download it here
*www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Is there anything for Linux that allows a taskbar-type virtualisation, like CoLinux does for windows?

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
I dont really understand what you mean by "taskbar type". Do you want each windwos app to have its own window under linux. If thats the case, you can use WINE(WINE Is Not an Emulator). There are thousands of windows applications supported by wine (most are games). I am yet to use it, but from reviews, it seems to be pretty good.

A shot of windows media player playing on Linux with WINE
*www.ibiblio.org/sinner/wine/MediaPlayer01.jpg

iinfi

mekalodu
for some one who is new to linux i would suggest you download vmware workstation for windows or if you want to install it on linux you have a vmware workstation for linux as well.
install the OS you want to, and learn it without any headache of disturbing your applications. it allows you to take snapshots and revert back to them, and of course your base/host OS is not affected however hard you pound your guest.

once your learn it well go ahead installing it on a baremetal or dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom