HTPC/Internet rig

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi,
I already have a Phenom 2 x4 965/hd6670 (dead :( ) rig .
Need this for just browsing and simple tasks at my new place.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans:web browsing mainly up to 10 tabs ,movies ,occassionally old games like project igi 2 ,gta sa ,ping pong ,chess :cool: , pre 2010 games

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:5-8k (used/new)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:160 gb and above

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:dont need monitor.(18.5 ",768p)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Dont need Monitor,Cabinet,K.B,Mouse,PSU,GPU,UPS,Optical Drive
Just need CPU,MB,RAM,HDD

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:within 1 week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:yes ,no.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Trivandrum,Kerala.Both local(olx)/online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:Willing to buy used/new parts ,im getting core2duo,motherboard,2gb ddr2 ram ,250 gb HDD around 4k.is it a good deal?
For new im looking at amd apu s.thanks :)

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Considering you dont need it for gaming and C2D can handle 2010 games (and evolve too :p ) , get these

C2D - 1k
G41 mobo - 2k(?)
4GB DDR3 RAM - 1.5k
250GB HDD - 1.5k

consider the RAM least. 2GB won't handle 10 tabs.

You can also look at C2Q ~2k if you want.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Considering you dont need it for gaming and C2D can handle 2010 games (and evolve too :p ) , get these

C2D - 1k
G41 mobo - 2k(?)
4GB DDR3 RAM - 1.5k
250GB HDD - 1.5k

consider the RAM least. 2GB won't handle 10 tabs.

You can also look at C2Q ~2k if you want.
Thanks.No c2qs are available.but c2d with 2gb-ddr2 ram ,I will buy another 2 gb.is it possible for a new combo with cpu ,mb ,ram and hdd around 10 k? 160 gb hdd is enough.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Thanks.No c2qs are available.but c2d with 2gb-ddr2 ram ,I will buy another 2 gb.is it possible for a new combo with cpu ,mb ,ram and hdd around 10 k? 160 gb hdd is enough.

you'll be wasting you money. Get second hand stuff, it'll be better. You can get ddr2 4GB. It'll be almost same.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
stilldont know how DDR4's launch will affect that :p and what you said is true and that's why i suggested to get a DDR3 board in the start

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Biostar AM1ML @ 2.1k
Sempron 2650 @ 2.2k
Seagate 160GB Sata @ 1.1k [ saw this FK but seller is not WS retail ]
You can get 2GB DDr3 ram for around 1.2 - 1.5k.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Biostar AM1ML @ 2.1k
Sempron 2650 @ 2.2k
Seagate 160GB Sata @ 1.1k [ saw this FK but seller is not WS retail ]
You can get 2GB DDr3 ram for around 1.2 - 1.5k.

Thanks.Thats a good config for a new system :)

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a "higher "4 core sempron clocked at 1.30 ghz ,im wondering why they have underclocked when a 3 + ghz amd dualcore performs worse than a comparatively lower clocked intel dual core.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Its time to buy.
I got a quote for this for 6k from olx seller:

Intel dual CORE 2.20 ghz processor
Intel chipset motherboard
2 GB ddr2 Ram
160 GB Harddisk
New Zebronics Cabinet
New 450 w Value SMPS
Free Logitech kb + mouse.

Says all components have 1 year warranty :eek:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
how can a ddr2 motherboard and specially a LGA 775 cpu have 1 year warranty ? Anyway, the motherboard, cpu and ram is only worth about 3.5k. So you are not getting anything extra or special [ may be only the HDD ] but the AMD setup I've suggested to you is far more power efficient.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
how can a ddr2 motherboard and specially a LGA 775 cpu have 1 year warranty ? Anyway, the motherboard, cpu and ram is only worth about 3.5k. So you are not getting anything extra or special [ may be only the HDD ] but the AMD setup I've suggested to you is far more power efficient.

He says so :chinscratch: need to confirm

How about the new Raspberry Pi 2? Or this Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H Motherboard - Gigabyte : Flipkart.com
You can find it's reviews here - AnandTech | GIGABYTE GA-J1800N-D2H Review: Dual Core Bay Trail-D at $69

I don;t know much about it but it seems enough for HTPC needs.

scudmissile007

Confusingly Confused!
[MENTION=128807]Nanducob[/MENTION] , can't pm you have a c2d rig for sale. if interested pm me.
consisting
C2D E7500, gigabyte G41M-S2PT ddr3 mobo(in warranty till sept-2016), 4+2gb ddr3 transcend ram(lifetime warranty), 1tb Seagate HDD, 9500gt 512mb, DVD writer, cab+smps.

Last edited:
OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
[MENTION=128807]Nanducob[/MENTION] , can't pm you have a c2d rig for sale. if interested pm me.
consisting
C2D E7500, gigabyte G41M-S2PT ddr3 mobo(in warranty till sept-2016), 4+2gb ddr3 transcend ram(lifetime warranty), 1tb Seagate HDD, 9500gt 512mb, DVD writer, cab+smps.

Sorry for the delay ,check pm :)

- - - Updated - - -

How about the new Raspberry Pi 2? Or this Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H Motherboard - Gigabyte : Flipkart.com
You can find it's reviews here - AnandTech | GIGABYTE GA-J1800N-D2H Review: Dual Core Bay Trail-D at $69

I don;t know much about it but it seems enough for HTPC needs.

That mobo cpu combo looks good.will consider it.Thanks

scudmissile007

Confusingly Confused!
[MENTION=128807]Nanducob[/MENTION] , not able to send you/reply to your PM , its saying you have chosen not to accept PM.
if you are using WhatsApp share you no through PM, will contact through it.

Last edited:
OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
[MENTION=128807]Nanducob[/MENTION] , not able to send you/reply to your PM , its saying you have chosen not to accept PM.
if you are using WhatsApp share you no through PM, will contact through it.

Sorry man ,I was using phone ,so couldn't find settings.But now I changed ,try it now

Top Bottom