HP Pavilion 15/G6 - powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: HP G6 2005AX/2010AX/2201AX - powered by Trinity

To conclude .. all in all a good buy but the processor is a bit of a letdown .. expected a bit better .. people who are comparing it to core i5 2nd gen are probably servants of AMD :mrgreen: it is core i3 3rd gen at best ..
I dunno why you posted a synthetic benchmark. (Passmark)

My roommate has this laptop and I have i5-2410M. In 7-zip multithreaded, this laptop is in 10% of my score and in Hashcat, it actually wins against my laptop by a bit.

Single thread performance is comparatively less, but that's obvious seeing the clock speed.

anuj kumar

Broken In

hp.jpg

upper link is of snap shot of screen pl. open and see it.
hi guys ,when i right click on desktop and then goes to first option "graphics properties" the in the audio section it is showing that your display do not support audio is this ok?
pl. check on your lappy and suggest me ..

waiting ...

RahulBiswas

Broken In

I dunno why you posted a synthetic benchmark. (Passmark)

My roommate has this laptop and I have i5-2410M. In 7-zip multithreaded, this laptop is in 10% of my score and in Hashcat, it actually wins against my laptop by a bit.

Single thread performance is comparatively less, but that's obvious seeing the clock speed.

It's just what the passmark states in the cpu test .. I'm not judging the performance solely on the basis of the tests but also by the experiences I gathered all this while .. It may have a good throughput value on certain areas but overall as a regular user when he is using this laptop for various tasks and applications there would be the occasional glitch .. Like lets say theres a movie running in background in wmp and youre surfing on a browser ; as soon as you go back to the wmp from taskbar the video stops for 2 seconds and then resumes playing .. Now if someone says that's normal I would sincerely honour his opinion but then wheres the difference between this and my earlier laptop having AMD Athlon 64+ Dual Core processor.. Both are performing pretty similar when it comes to normal tasks .. Only thing which is left to be seen here whether this machine can perform better with a fresh copy of OS where you dont have all these HP crap stuff pre-installed... Hopefully then one would get better multitasking experience .. Only the users buying G6 2010AX would be able to confirm this .. Lets hope we have more users buying this laptop and exchanging ideas :thumbs:

And I apologize again if I come across as a critic spotting every single drawback on this awesome gaming laptop which probably fits the budget of most laptop buyers .. But still feel quad core has been a bit overestimated and I personally have expected more out of it regarding the new Trinity series and all of that .. One has to believe without the mid range graphics card which performs really well this would have been just another AMD laptop .. But most of us don't go into so much detail, we just buy it from the price-point as it's the best of the lot in this section ..

duke123

In the zone

Both are performing pretty similar when it comes to normal tasks .. Only thing which is left to be seen here whether this machine can perform better with a fresh copy of OS where you dont have all these HP crap stuff pre-installed... Hopefully then one would get better multitasking experience .. Only the users buying G6 2010AX would be able to confirm this .. Lets hope we have more users buying this laptop and exchanging ideas :thumbs:

i agree with your points...the laptop lags and hangs sometimes for no reason...the lag was clearly noticeable when i installed any highly compressed game software etc was being installed...system become unusable for any other purpose..
now i have installed a clean version of windows 8(not upgrade) without any crap ware for a day..just a few essential software and drivers i have seen the smoothness improved.(at least visible when installing a highly CPU intensive repack game..i have core temp around 40k on normal usage against 50-60k with windows 7 with all crap wares including HP cool sense..so a fresh install might help...
i dont know whether cool sense will help or not i didnt see a windows 8 version online...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's just what the passmark states in the cpu test .. I'm not judging the performance solely on the basis of the tests but also by the experiences I gathered all this while .. It may have a good throughput value on certain areas but overall as a regular user when he is using this laptop for various tasks and applications there would be the occasional glitch .. Like lets say theres a movie running in background in wmp and youre surfing on a browser ; as soon as you go back to the wmp from taskbar the video stops for 2 seconds and then resumes playing .. Now if someone says that's normal I would sincerely honour his opinion but then wheres the difference between this and my earlier laptop having AMD Athlon 64+ Dual Core processor.. Both are performing pretty similar when it comes to normal tasks .. Only thing which is left to be seen here whether this machine can perform better with a fresh copy of OS where you dont have all these HP crap stuff pre-installed... Hopefully then one would get better multitasking experience .. Only the users buying G6 2010AX would be able to confirm this .. Lets hope we have more users buying this laptop and exchanging ideas :thumbs:

And I apologize again if I come across as a critic spotting every single drawback on this awesome gaming laptop which probably fits the budget of most laptop buyers .. But still feel quad core has been a bit overestimated and I personally have expected more out of it regarding the new Trinity series and all of that .. One has to believe without the mid range graphics card which performs really well this would have been just another AMD laptop .. But most of us don't go into so much detail, we just buy it from the price-point as it's the best of the lot in this section ..
Just do a fresh install.

Vinayak Agarwal

Right off the assembly line

Hi. i just bought HP G6-2201 AX wiith WIN 8.
I have few doubts regarding the Dual Graphic settings
P.S. I will only be using this lappy for watching HD movies and videos... and i want them to play without a lag
Q.1 Is it required for me to enable dual graphics?
Q.2 My battery only lasts 3 hrs max. How to maximize it??
Q.3 IN the AMD Catalyst, there is a tab for video which further contains many setting options. how to customize them for getting max. output video quality?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. not required.
2. turn off dual/discrete GPU & limit the laptop's processor to 1.9Ghz when using battery. videos will continue to play smoothly. additionally turn of WiFi/Bluetooth. And decrease brightness to 30-50%.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

i did a clean install of win 8 few days back. but now this thing runs at around 45 C during normal browsing with fan running very loud. and it even goes to around 55C sometimes.
*i.imgur.com/VmPKs.png?1

also i by mistake removed hp tools partition. anyway to restore it back? :D

duke123

In the zone

^^45C is normal..mine is also running at this temperature(40-45) but with windows 7 it was running around 50-60 ...
the recovery partition gets disabled the moment when you partition the hard disk..you will lose ability to restore from recovery partition...so there is not much use with that if you partitioned the hard disk..

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

^ok fine but fan is also very loud.
i am not talking of recovery partition but of hp_tools which appears as inaccessible Q drive in win 7.

duke123

In the zone

i am not talking of recovery partition but of hp_tools which appears as inaccessible Q drive in win 7.

i think HP cool sense can fix the fan noise.have u installed it...but i coudnt find cool sense for windows 8 yet..

also check bios there is a option like fan always on or something like that...

i formatted everything including recovery,hp tools partitions didnt face any problem...

Last edited:

Vinayak Agarwal

Right off the assembly line

1. not required
2. turn off dual/discrete GPU & limit the laptop's processor to 1.9Ghz when using battery. videos will continue to play smoothly. additionally turn of WiFi/Bluetooth. And decrease brightness to 30-50%.
1. how do i limit the processor speed to 1.9 ghz as it is already the amx. permissible clock speed??
2. what about video tab settings?

mohsin2cool

Broken In

guyz please help me out..
i installed windows 8, and installed latest graphics catalyst 12.11 beta from amd website.
now i have two issues!!!
a) whenever i play a game and close it after playing, graphics stop working for another time if i try to play game again,neither can i go to graphics properties nor can i install/uninstall graphics again.
b)if the laptop sleeps whn i leave it idle for some time, the screen light gets totally dim and despite using brightness up down, nothing works out.it only works whn i shutdown system.

this is very annoying..plz help me to come out of this..

anuj kumar

Broken In

hi
1. q drive is not for hp tools but it is due to ms office 2010 it create a virtual drive named q
2.if you already created your recovery disc then its not matter much to have the partition of hp tools
3.you can partition your hard drive as much as you can ...you can get recover windows threw recovery drive ...the only point your hard drive should be basic not dynamic if it converted in to dynamic change it to basic using third party partition tools

duke123

In the zone

guyz please help me out..
i installed windows 8, and installed latest graphics catalyst 12.11 beta from amd website.
now i have two issues!!!
a) whenever i play a game and close it after playing, graphics stop working for another time if i try to play game again,neither can i go to graphics properties nor can i install/uninstall graphics again.
b)if the laptop sleeps whn i leave it idle for some time, the screen light gets totally dim and despite using brightness up down, nothing works out.it only works whn i shutdown system.

this is very annoying..plz help me to come out of this..

the 12.11 are still beta stage....they have to fix the bugs...wait for final 12.11 release or install stable 12.10...

hi

3.you can partition your hard drive as much as you can ...you can get recover windows threw recovery drive ...the only point your hard drive should be basic not dynamic if it converted in to dynamic change it to basic using third party partition tools

did you partition ur hard disk...then did you check whether you can recover through recovery partition?
because few of us are unable to recover...we cannot select the recovery partition restore in recovery menu...its disabled...can you tell me hoe to fix this...

mohsin2cool

Broken In

the 12.11 are still beta stage....they have to fix the bugs...wait for final 12.11 release or install stable 12.10...
installed 12.10 but still hav the same issue, laptop sleeps and the brightness also goes dim and doesnt come up even mouse hovering or doing any work.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

remove 12.10. use drivesweeper to get rid of the old drivers and then try installing 12.10 again or if you have the original drivers that HP provided, try those also. i feel that the old settings were somehow preserved and reapplied in 12.10.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

hi
1. q drive is not for hp tools but it is due to ms office 2010 it create a virtual drive named q
2.if you already created your recovery disc then its not matter much to have the partition of hp tools

i understood why i wasn't able to create hp_tools as basic disk allowed max 3 primary partitions and my games drive was also primary.
so system, windows and games made 3 primary partitions.

that recovery disks were created in win 7 so will they work with win 8?

Last edited:

anuj kumar

Broken In

i understood why i wasn't able to create hp_tools as basic disk allowed max 3 primary partitions and my games drive was also primary.
so system, windows and games made 3 primary partitions.

that recovery disks were created in win 7 so will they work with win 8?

if you use recovery disc in windows 8 it will install your previous operating system w7 hb; recovery disc contains driver and software that windows 7 support so few software of hp will not supported right now on windows 8.

did you partition ur hard disk...then did you check whether you can recover through recovery partition?
because few of us are unable to recover...we cannot select the recovery partition restore in recovery menu...its disabled...can you tell me hoe to fix this...

i made one more partition on my hard disk so it converted to dynamic at that moment i was not able access the recovery drive then i converted whole hard disk to basic one then i was able to access my recovery and re install w7 again....

duke123

In the zone

if you use recovery disc in windows 8 it will install your previous operating system w7 hb; recovery disc contains driver and software that windows 7 support so few software of hp will not supported right now on windows 8.

i made one more partition on my hard disk so it converted to dynamic at that moment i was not able access the recovery drive then i converted whole hard disk to basic one then i was able to access my recovery and re install w7 again....

HP has released our drivers for windows 8..

thanks for the info mate..but i deleted the recovery..wqindows 7 basically slow with all craps from HP...also windows 8 has a inbuilt reset,restore functions that work perfectly...so no more need to maintain recovery partition...:-D

Top Bottom