HP Pavilion 15/G6 - powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

RahulBiswas

Broken In
re: HP G6 2005AX/2010AX/2201AX - powered by Trinity

^^^ 30k laptop ^^^
dont be so harsh. :chillpill:

Sorry if I went harsh .. I think I put forward my honest opinion about the product and it will help a lot of users who are looking for details and info so they can get the closest laptop as per their requirements.. I think I also mentioned the good points about the laptop .. the battery backup is indeed decent provided it has a discrete gpu and AMD has done well to switch between the igpu and dgpu for power intensive and power saving modes to help users get the best results during stress situations for more usage ... Also I never heard anyone on this forum mention about the awesome audio capabilities of dolby advanced audio settings(found in the control panel under hardware & sound) .. The bluetooth 4.0 is also an awesome feature ... earlier I had a compaq laptop with bluetooth 2 and it hardly could recognize half the services my phones supported ... Now it has support for all .. I love the looks of the laptop as well .. maybe cheap plastic .. but good glossy finish .. then the touchpad gestures are cool too ... set your screen temp to around 7k and I think it's decent for all those complaining about the bad screen colour .. So there are lots of things which I like about this laptop...

One would have to wait to see what AMD brings next .. A10 laptops are still unavailable .. A8 going strong .. new Hp models are on the rise now .. with added ram and hdd .. but one would have to say that we are the lucky ones to be able to redeem the additional warranty .. much better than the camera offer now...disappointing asus didnt bring one out .. would have costed some 3-4k lesser ..

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
re: HP G6 2005AX/2010AX/2201AX - powered by Trinity

what you said is true. Sometimes the laptop lags, maybe due to the ton of crapware HP shipped with it or maybe cause of the slow I/O performance. Processing power falls between 2nd gen i3 & i5 most of the time which i guess is fine. Another disappointment is the battery life. Was expecting 6-7hrs under low load.

Added driver links to first page. If i missed anything, post here. will add it as well. Also extending the G6 family to include the two newly launched Trinity models by HP.

RahulBiswas

Broken In
Re: HP G6 2005AX/2010AX/2201AX - powered by Trinity

Another disappointment is the battery life. Was expecting 6-7hrs under low load.

Sam it seems you're quite an optimist .. expecting 6-7 hours battery back up from a 6 cell battery running a 15.6" screen laptop with discrete graphics card is still a dream .. well then allow me to make your dream come true :mrgreen:

impossible.jpg

check out the cpu usage as well .. you might think I'm joking .. but am I? :razz:

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ i know that trick but once you start working the battery life drops to 5-5.5hrs. Decent but under idle was expecting more as laptop powered by Intel proccy of standard 35W TDP shows 7hr+ in battery eater, with discrete GPU. Real life battery backup should be same as this one though.

zacfx05

Eeeeh What's up. Doc!?

sam the driver link in the first page is it same for both desktop and notebook. beacause when i downloaded 12.8 there was two different links given in gur3d site for both desktop and notebook. please confirm is the link for notebook or not.

and is there any performance differnce in this version in dual graphics mode....

i played sleeping dogs and while enabling dual graphics the inbuilt benchmark resulted in average 27fps for the same setting in dgpu i got 31fps driver version 12.8

duke123

In the zone

sam the driver link in the first page is it same for both desktop and notebook. beacause when i downloaded 12.8 there was two different links given in gur3d site for both desktop and notebook. please confirm is the link for notebook or not.

works fine as it supports mobility series...

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

so one driver package takes care of both desktop & mobile? i just copy pasted the link.

duke123

In the zone

pls check release notes if you are not sure..release notes mention which all series are supported..

for 12.10

AMD Catalyst Software Suite Version 12.10 Release Notes

it supports AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 7000M Series

aswinarjun99

Broken In

HI all,

Have anybody upgraded their OS to win 8 ???
If yes please share their experience

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

HI all,

Have anybody upgraded their OS to win 8 ???
If yes please share their experience

Yes & i feel it is worth it..

Anything but i see increased battery life.

Well my query is Can a 2.5" SSD be used as laptop HDD??

john12

Broken In

Is there any advantage in updating the drivers and which update should I install 12.10 or 12.8?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

SSD cost a bomb, you already know that. Definitely possible but won't do much good other than cutting windows bootup time by half.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

SSD cost a bomb, you already know that. Definitely possible but won't do much good other than cutting windows bootup time by half.

Yup i know that it costs bomb but it was a random query...

I have seen ssd prices drop so in future may be i can upgrade.

1 more thing wil this upgrade hav visible diff in battery life??

rish89

Broken In

Are there any review on HP Pavilion G6-2010AX Laptop on net......except the flipkart one

duke123

In the zone

does hp provide cool sense for linux...i am facing heating issue in ubuntu...?
what about windows 8 ..does it work on windows 8?

RahulBiswas

Broken In

does hp provide cool sense for linux...i am facing heating issue in ubuntu...?
what about windows 8 ..does it work on windows 8?

I'm not sure about ubuntu .. but I think it should work fine on windows 8 .. HP has provided you with the setups of every driver and software that the laptop ships with .. The only thing which bothers me now .. should I upgrade to windows 8 keeping all windows settings or should I just get it done as a fresh installation .. And another query .. what happens to the recovery partition after upgrade?? would it recover back to windows 7 home basic? that would be a real bummer .. if not then what about the recovery disks? all these confusions are creeping up .. If we can compare the recovery partition to the ROM of an android device then for every update for the device firmware changes the default ROM to the latest --- should that not happen for the recovery partition as well to keep the upgrade consistent on behalf of the manufacturers? Otherwise this whole experience would turn blunt and many like me would simply wish to get upgrade to the higher windows 7 versions than be at a loss upgrading to windows 8...Do share experiences...

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

I'm not sure about ubuntu .. but I think it should work fine on windows 8 .. HP has provided you with the setups of every driver and software that the laptop ships with .. The only thing which bothers me now .. should I upgrade to windows 8 keeping all windows settings or should I just get it done as a fresh installation .. And another query .. what happens to the recovery partition after upgrade?? would it recover back to windows 7 home basic? that would be a real bummer .. if not then what about the recovery disks? all these confusions are creeping up .. If we can compare the recovery partition to the ROM of an android device then for every update for the device firmware changes the default ROM to the latest --- should that not happen for the recovery partition as well to keep the upgrade consistent on behalf of the manufacturers? Otherwise this whole experience would turn blunt and many like me would simply wish to get upgrade to the higher windows 7 versions than be at a loss upgrading to windows 8...Do share experiences...

Yes the backup will go back to Win 7 better if burn the iso of downloaded win8..
Keeping apps & docs keeps all as it is. ;-)

Top Bottom