HP Envy TouchSmart 15-J001TX

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
Thanks Maverick. How about the compatibility of mSATA SSD's? Has anyone installed it yet?

Morevover can anyone help me in finding 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory modules? I have checked and found the following modules are compatible.

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3L (1.35V)CMSX8GX3M2B1600C9, Crucial CT4503448, Crucial CT102464BF160B, Transcend SO-DIMM DDR3LV TS1GSK64W6H and Kingston KVR16LS11/8.

But the problem is availability in Nagpur. Any online site where the same may be available?

Corsair Vengeance is a very good option. I haven't tried mSATA, because I will purchase a regular SATA 512GB and replace the HDD with it

parthoc

Right off the assembly line
Corsair Vengeance is a very good option. I haven't tried mSATA, because I will purchase a regular SATA 512GB and replace the HDD with it

Is there a difference technically and in pricing between mSATA and regular SATA?
Unable to get Corsair or any of the listed RAM modules, due to unavailability in Nagpur market.

Can anyone suggest any online place for the same?

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
Is there a difference technically and in pricing between mSATA and regular SATA?
Unable to get Corsair or any of the listed RAM modules, due to unavailability in Nagpur market.

Can anyone suggest any online place for the same?

If you google, you will get a lot of online sites, even if you get it from ebay.in or flipkart, its all good. The mSata is like mini SATA. There is no additional regular SATA port. So if you use regular SATA, you have to swap it with HDD. However, if you use an mSATA drive, you can use only your SSD and the regular hard drive.

Last edited:

saurabhd

hey maveric....thanks for your contribution....i have been following this thread as i m planning to get one...but after all these issues many of the guys faced about the hp envy 15...i m in dilemma ....hp envy 15-j001tx or lenovo y510p????
...both of them have great specs...hp envy have good looks,which lacks in lenovo...but as many of users have problem with the screen,keyboard,heat issues with the hp envy......i cant decide which one will be better..

do tell me about which one will be the better choice hp envy15-j001tx or lenovo y510p???

parthoc

Hi Saurabhd!! Sorry to cut through. Inputs from Maveric would be great, as he is using it hands-on.

Actually, I too was having the same problem in deciding. Both have 1080p res, same board and nearly same specs. Y510p definately scores on a better dedicated graphics and of course the ultrabay. However, HP j001tx ha s a touch screen but with no optical disk drive. So you have to play your DVDs by using an external usb drive. Look wise, IMO though y510p is a bit boxy, but definately has that RED backlit keyboard aura (Its a different feel). HP j001tx on the other hand is slimmer, more to say nearing macs. Other issues I think, a person who is owning it may be able to supplement.

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
hey maveric....thanks for your contribution....i have been following this thread as i m planning to get one...but after all these issues many of the guys faced about the hp envy 15...i m in dilemma ....hp envy 15-j001tx or lenovo y510p????
...both of them have great specs...hp envy have good looks,which lacks in lenovo...but as many of users have problem with the screen,keyboard,heat issues with the hp envy......i cant decide which one will be better..

do tell me about which one will be the better choice hp envy15-j001tx or lenovo y510p???

Slimmer the laptop is, you will always come across, heat issue, noise, and keyboard flex. That is the reason why business notebooks (Example HP EliteBooks, Dell Studio Station) are thick. For me Envy 15 is fine. Although i would prefer previous year design. If you can wait littlebit, Dell Inspiron 7000 is the best bet for you. I am pleased with its design, and am regreting my purchase. But in August, that was the only option I had.

I love the design of Mac Book pro, but I hate the design of MacBook Air. Inspiron 7000 and XPS 15 has the identical design as MBP 15

saurabhd

Hi Saurabhd!! Sorry to cut through. Inputs from Maveric would be great, as he is using it hands-on.

Actually, I too was having the same problem in deciding. Both have 1080p res, same board and nearly same specs. Y510p definately scores on a better dedicated graphics and of course the ultrabay. However, HP j001tx ha s a touch screen but with no optical disk drive. So you have to play your DVDs by using an external usb drive. Look wise, IMO though y510p is a bit boxy, but definately has that RED backlit keyboard aura (Its a different feel). HP j001tx on the other hand is slimmer, more to say nearing macs. Other issues I think, a person who is owning it may be able to supplement.

appreciating your respond...can u just tell one name, hp envy 15 or y510p,...i am damn confused
coz many reviews here say...disappointment about hp envy's full hd screen,keyboard problems n all....envy looks are what attracting me a lot,i can manage without DVD drive...also i do play games but my gaming needs can be fulfilled by envy..but i cant compromise with full hd screen,built quality,keyboard .... i dont want to regret after purchase .y510p doesnt provide me the hp classy looks n touch..also many of friends have y500 and i had pretty good experience with it...as y510p is successor of y500 i have considered it as an alternative to hp envy 15 touchsmart.i cant wait any longer for 4th gen i7 models to come in india..so what i need is a good,reliable laptop....
that is hp ENVY 15-J001tx OR Lenovo Y510P?

saurabhd

Slimmer the laptop is, you will always come across, heat issue, noise, and keyboard flex. That is the reason why business notebooks (Example HP EliteBooks, Dell Studio Station) are thick. For me Envy 15 is fine. Although i would prefer previous year design. If you can wait littlebit, Dell Inspiron 7000 is the best bet for you. I am pleased with its design, and am regreting my purchase. But in August, that was the only option I had.

I love the design of Mac Book pro, but I hate the design of MacBook Air. Inspiron 7000 and XPS 15 has the identical design as MBP 15

appreciating your respond...can u just tell one name, hp envy 15 or y510p,...i am damn confused
coz many reviews here say...disappointment about hp envy's full hd screen,keyboard problems n all....envy looks are what attracting me a lot,i can manage without DVD drive...also i do play games but my gaming needs can be fulfilled by envy..but i cant compromise with full hd screen,built quality,keyboard .... i dont want to regret after purchase .y510p doesnt provide me the hp classy looks n touch..also many of friends have y500 and i had pretty good experience with it...as y510p is successor of y500 i have considered it as an alternative to hp envy 15 touchsmart.i cant wait any longer for 4th gen i7 models to come in india..so what i need is a good,reliable laptop....

parthoc

Got my Envy 15 two days back. Was going through it. Has one 8GB Samsung DDR3RAM, with one empty slot. mSATA slot is present but unoccupied. Awaiting 256GB Plextor mSATA as indicated by Maverick in his earlier threads. Thanks to him and yes no regrets on this system, as user upgradeable options are easily accessible unlike in other new laptops where the system has to be dis-assembled completely to access upgradeable parts.

Yes, its definately a difficult decision choosing between Y510P and Envy 15. My situation was exactly like yours. But I went in for HP Envy 15. Mainly due to all my 2 decade experience with HP. Moreover, we have a dedicated and full fledged HP service centre with very experienced staff at BAlgo in Nagpur. So, my decision was based on after sales service. Did not feel any issue with touch screen nor keyboard. Envy has chicklet keyboard. Yes the touchpad right click is a bit hard, but definately manageable.
Frankly I am a no-gamer, but heard that Y510P has better graphics capability. So a few pros & cons, but yes again the decision has to all yours.

tarunek

Hi Maverck & Parthoc,

I am thinking of getting an mSATA, since if we use regular SATA, the default 1000 GB drive will go waste.
Instead I can use mSATA 64 gb/128gb for boot drive which is likely to enhance bootup speeds and application/games startup times keeping 1000 gb as it is for generic storage. Also, it would come at cheaper price.
Please share your opinion.

Has anyone here tried mSATA for HP ENVY j series laptops?
I need some guidance is obtaining one and installation.
Thanks in Advance!! :)

rahuljindal

Hello.I bought this laptop long time ago.I wanted to tell you guys.There is nothing wrong with its display because i got to know that all touch screen laptops have grainish feel to it.I even saw a Sony Vaio Fit Touchscreen Full HD model which you have mentioned in your early posts having grainy screen so thats an issue.But the real problem with HP Envy 15 is that it has poor viewing angles and i mean vertical.I am not sure but i think in terms of display Dell Inspiron 15 7000 might be better in viewing angles but mind you it will still have grainy screen but then again it will have ULV Processor.So it really depends on you and what you put first on your priority list

Top Bottom