How/What to cook with Olive Oil ?

Well, I bought a can of "Extra Virgin Olive Oil". Sadly I don't have much knowledge about how to use it. Please share your experience with it. :)

icebags

Technomancer
slightly heat up the oil and pour it on green/mayonnaise salad with a tea spoon.

u may deep fry banana chips also, just make sure the oil is nicely heated, but well below burning point (there will be no smoke coming out from oil with burning smells).

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Olive oil is overrated. Anyway, you can rarely use it for cooking as its smoke point is very low. Its meant for salad dressing and most Indians cannot stand its taste. Extra virgin is very purest form. Virgin is 'not that pure'. Extra virgin is so called the healthiest. And costliest.

For cooking, you can cook in any oil. No oil is the best. Every oil has positives and negatives. Best is to keep changing the oils or use them in rotation.

If any family's oil consumption exceeds 1/2kg per person per month, every member has a risk of diabetes and hypertension.

Using costly oil doesnt help, especially when one doesnt exercise.

You should knock off that virgin in salads and get over with it :)

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Try potato chips..

Thats the point. Chips will need deep frying. Once it crosses it's smoke point, something called as trans fats start forming, which are harmful. Some oils are not meant for deep frying. Olive oil is one of them. The main use is salad dressing, or that the most very shallow heating.

Also, its said that oils should not be re-used as trans fats are formed after single deep fry. So when you eat samosas outside, there are chances that its deep fried in an oil, which is used again and again. It is lethal for heart.

So better cook and eat samosas at home, rather than outside.

Foods with trans fats are banned in US.

icebags

Technomancer
yah, my bad ...... virgin olive oils have smoke points of 191-200 °C, which is unsuitable for deep frying. but pomace and extra light olive oils have smoke point 238-242 °C, so, extra light/refined olive oil should be good for deep fry.

oils, be it olive or sorse/sorso should not be eaten once they are smoked. for medico reason. better to use up the oil in curry cooking, after deep frying and if oil is still ok.

just found all virgin/extra virgin oils have low smoke point and they are basically unrefined version of the oil. :reading: i think they are meant for taste, smell and light frying. :stirpot:

drink it, drink it whole for the virginity sake.
:toast: ..... :thumbs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom