how to use ide pata 80 gb hdd as external hdd?

billamama

In the zone
I have an old SP0842N samsung 2.5" pata 80 gb hdd, I want to use it as external usb hdd, I googled but didn't get the solution, please help me if there is any possible way to do it.

prvprv

Journeyman
Is it a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? When I googled it, it shows 3.5" drive.

you have to buy an "hard disk external casing".

For laptop hard disk (2.5"):
USB Casing for 2.5 inch IDE Laptop Hard Disk | eBay

For desktop hard disk (3.5"):
*www.ebay.in/itm/3-5-USB-Desktop-ID...Domain_203&hash=item3a6d7e0cdd#ht_3302wt_1140

Last edited:
OP
billamama

billamama

In the zone
thanks but today when I was checking my hdd (80gb pata) connecting with ide cable, my pc didn't recognize it and the hdd was producing a constant tic tac sound, what I did't get at all! is it ok for old hdd to produce such sound?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
check with some HDD testing tool if theres any bad sector or it can be the spindle motor not able to spin the platters properly at constant speed.

Neuron

Electronic.
thanks but today when I was checking my hdd (80gb pata) connecting with ide cable, my pc didn't recognize it and the hdd was producing a constant tic tac sound, what I did't get at all! is it ok for old hdd to produce such sound?

That sound isn't normal.Try connecting it to some other computer with another IDE cable if possible.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

the HDD platter(s) inside is not spinning properly and that's why you are hearing tic tac sound - if it's still under warranty send it for RMA. This happens when a HDD is not used for a long time and is not stored properly - also check the IDE cable your are using and the mobo IDE slot too.

But if it's out of warranty you can try this ( do these at your own risk ) - shake the HDD 50-60 times and gently slap on the shiny surface and on the sides and see if the mobo recognizes it or not.

Top Bottom