How to use BSNL broadband landline modem when there is power off..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdp

Journeyman
Hi friends..

I am planning to purchase laptop due to 7-8 hours of load shedding in my city.

I will use laptop in office and will require inter net continuously..

I have BSNL landline modem presently.It requires 12V DC power supply.

In case of power failure how can i use net..?

is there any kind of adopter available in market which will take power from USB of laptop and will convert to 12 V DC and can be used to power up modem..?

Any other way..?:oops:

PraKs

Youngling
@OP

I too had same idea of powering modem from USB.

There was huge thread on it. Have got solution of powering Airtel Modem from USB :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Theoretically that would not work, because USB is a 5v source. 5v-to-12v step up adapters may work but I don't think the current requirement is satisfied (500mA is the max. and the modem would definitely require more). In short, I would refrain from doing this.

I would anyday, got in for cheap UPS to power the modem. Since the modem/router consumes quite low power, you can get like 4-5 hours (or even more) backup for your modem.

OP
M

mdp

Journeyman
I have 600VA Wipro (WEP) UPS.How long it will last?

can any body answer who practically uses modem on UPS..?

why does BSNL dont introduce modems running on 5V USB power supply..?

to whom should I give feedback in BSNL..?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I have 600VA Wipro (WEP) UPS.How long it will last?

can any body answer who practically uses modem on UPS..?

why does BSNL dont introduce modems running on 5V USB power supply..?

to whom should I give feedback in BSNL..?
It doesn't matter. Just a search for 5V modems gives a current requirement as 2.0A which is too high. This kind of current can never flow through USB. That's 4 times the max. current (500mA). The max. wattage supplied by your USB is 5V * 500mA {or 0.5A} = 2.5W (roughly). Most modems have a power rating of a minimum of 7W. So your USB port cannot supply enough clean power.

PraKs

Youngling
@infra_red_dude'

There are people who claimed that Airtel modem works by powering from USB port.

I guess its 220BX version which takes 5v power.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@infra_red_dude'

There are people who claimed that Airtel modem works by powering from USB port.

I guess its 220BX version which takes 5v power.

You may check out the current rating of the modem before you plug into the USB port. End of the day you want to use the modem during power cuts, but if the modem itself sucks too much power from your laptop then the whole purpose is defeated!

I believe you can use a Y-USB cable for more power (they are in parallel; remember Kirchhoff's Laws? currents in parallel get added)

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
i think for one the modem powered by USB comes out... people will ask for modem which dont need any power as well... Crazy people always needs new things to make their life easier...

Even if u power ur modem with USB you will drain ur laptop battery... which in turns shorten the battery life... i think... UPS is cheaper than a Laptop battery

PraKs

Youngling
@ajayashish
Techie wishes are never over ;)

Idea is to keep modem on for 10-30 mints by taking power from USB/Laptop battery.
I guess it will not be much problem when other USB devices like ext HDD/mouse are not connected.

@infra_red_dude
Can you post pic of Y-USB cable ? Any idea what rating Airtel 220BX requires ?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
why dont u get a inverter for home

i have a 130AH battery -800VA inverter...connected to all lines exept fridge,a/c,heater,etc heavy loads....

so go for inverter with dedicated wiring at home

6x6

Journeyman
if you have to run only modem from UPS, better option is to take out 12V DC from battery terminals, and keep the UPS off. it will run Modem for ~10 Hours. as modem needs 12V@0.7A and UPS battery is 7AH. no need to step up from 12V DC to 220V AC and then step down 220V AC to 12V DC again, power is wasted in both operations.

another option is using small 12V battery with small charger, setup may cost <Rs500/- and backup time will be 2-4Hours depending on AH capacity (naturally battery cost will also depend on AH capacity)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@infra_red_dude
Can you post pic of Y-USB cable ? Any idea what rating Airtel 220BX requires ?
*www.toshibadirect.com/images/ui3/accessories/toshiba-usb-y-cable-ba82010-300.gif

Absolutely no clue about the power requirement of any modem/router!

if you have to run only modem from UPS, better option is to take out 12V DC from battery terminals, and keep the UPS off. it will run Modem for ~10 Hours. as modem needs 12V@0.7A and UPS battery is 7AH. no need to step up from 12V DC to 220V AC and then step down 220V AC to 12V DC again, power is wasted in both operations.

another option is using small 12V battery with small charger, setup may cost <Rs500/- and backup time will be 2-4Hours depending on AH capacity (naturally battery cost will also depend on AH capacity)
I would never do that. Without a regulator circuit I would never connect anything to the bare battery terminals.

PraKs

Youngling
@6x6
Uh, looks too scientific, it may blast modem too, Why would someone risk taking battery out of UPS & connect openly.. It will look like garage in home :)

Anyone interested in powering up Airtel modem using USB port of laptop ?

icebags

Technomancer
*www.toshibadirect.com/images/ui3/accessories/toshiba-usb-y-cable-ba82010-300.gif

Absolutely no clue about the power requirement of any modem/router!

I would never do that. Without a regulator circuit I would never connect anything to the bare battery terminals.

wrong..... the 12 volt battery can supply ~12v max with constant DC supply. there should not be any problem running a 12v modem from the 12V storage cell, since there is no current fluctuation from battery, just constant voltage decay from 12v to downwards .. which should last ~8 hrs before the battery fails to supply required voltage for modem ..

then only the situation may go wrong.... modem components may heat up a lil / do malfunction stuff cause of low voltage.

its good choice to run 5v modem from a 12v storage cell, driven by a simple 5v voltage regulator from class 12 physics book tho. :grin:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
wrong..... the 12 volt battery can supply ~12v max with constant DC supply. there should not be any problem running a 12v modem from the 12V storage cell, since there is no current fluctuation from battery, just constant voltage decay from 12v to downwards .. which should last ~8 hrs before the battery fails to supply required voltage for modem ..

then only the situation may go wrong.... modem components may heat up a lil / do malfunction stuff cause of low voltage.

its good choice to run 5v modem from a 12v storage cell, driven by a simple 5v voltage regulator from class 12 physics book tho. :grin:

It's not like it will blow up the appliances. I would still never use anything directly without a regulator. Connecting appliances directly to local batteries is the last thing I'd want to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom