How to update multiple Windows installations Online & Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
You can also read this on my Blog

As you all know that AutoPatcher is now discontinued due to violation of Microsoft’s terms & service. It was an easy & convenient way to update multiple PCs running Windows XP without connecting. Now you might say that this is a wrong move from Microsoft however you forget to see that Microsoft is already providing legal ways for home users to update their computers without even needing AutoPatcher.

Every month you used to download 50 or 100 MB worth update of AutoPatcher monthly update or a full 200+ MB version of full AutoPatcher with all the updates released after Windows XP SP2. So why can’t you follow these steps to do the same automatically for you without needing AutoPatcher.

I am assuming that you have a Windows XP with SP2 or Vista RTM installation which is genuine. Pirated Windows users cannot avail some of these methods.

1) Download all manually – Go to Microsoft Download center & download all the updates & other packages for Windows XP & Vista manually. You can do this offline too.

2) Download all via Windows Update. This will download & install all the required update applicable only to your computer. After a reboot which may or may not be needed, backup the

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.

Just zip or copy it somewhere else but do not delete this original Downloads folder.

Suppose you reinstall Windows now, simply copy the contents of the backed up Downloads folder to the original folder at the path above, then connect to Windows Update & select all those updates to install. However this time Windows will not download all the updates again because most of the updates are already there in your computer at the above mentioned location. It will only download some new updates as applicable. You can copy the content of Downloads folder to another computer & take the same step on that other computer.

3) Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer & backup the downloaded files after their installation. Then install the downloaded files as needed on all computers.

4) Use Offline Update 3.2 script as mentioned at the webpage.

5) Use Windows Update Downloader with Windows XP or Vista Update List. It will download full file for all the updates automatically & install. It is equivalent to step 1 just that this time it is automatic. One downloaded you can backup the downloads for further use.

6) For large scale deployment you can also use Microsoft Windows Server Update Services

I hope this makes life a bit easier for system administrators who download at one computer & install on all computers in a network also that Microsoft brings back AutoPatcher in one form or other. To install multiple updates downloaded manually, or by Windows Update downloader or by MBSA or Offline Update script you can use QChain provided by Microsoft.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Nice guide but hey instead of going through all this hassles a double click on autopatcher icon was needed previously.

And dude you just said that this long painful procedure is an alternative to autopatcher so why not allow autopatcher to distribute patches itself in the first place.

Don't get offended dude but microsoft is being rude here.This is a big blunder on their part.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The_Devil_Himself said:
instead of going through all this hassles a double click on autopatcher icon was needed previously.

I know, but it is not availble anymore. So would U like to prefer an alternative way or stop updating at all?

Don't get offended dude but microsoft is being rude here.This is a big blunder on their part.

As long as your language & tone are proper, I do not get offended :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok devil i fail to understand what hassles are there .... i use photoshop .... i download it ... i format my pc and wanna install it agian i simply run the downloaded setup again ... same is the case here ;)

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
In autopatcher you install autopatcher then start it then select all the updates you need and then leave it to update while you get yourself a cup of coffee or tea and when you return your system is patched,restarted,and is ready to use.
In your method you download them first,then back up downloads and then blah blah blah...........and the result same as autopatcher.

And most of all autopatcher was easily available in magazines so there was no need to download anything.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The_Devil_Himself said:
In autopatcher you install autopatcher then start it then select all the updates you need and then leave it to update while you get yourself a cup of coffee or tea and when you return your system is patched,restarted,and is ready to use.

Start Windows Update, select updates to install & click on install. It will install automatically while u go & have a cup of tea.

Start MBSA & same thing. Select & leave it to install automatically.

Start Offline update script, same thing.

Start Windows update downloader, same thing.

Once downloaded, backup the files same like saving the autopatcher setup.

How different is this process? There is no manual one by one installation other then step 1. These are 5 different step

autopatcher was easily available in magazines so there was no need to download anything.

Digit can also bundle the Microsoft monthly updates.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm... Nice work gx... :) thnx for putting them together !!!

for Network, me my self using WSUS for a long time, now I am testing System essetial 2007, I plan to shift to System Essential 2007... its a big jump from WSUS 3.0 to System Essential 2007, :) do include that... though I suppose not free for all !!! :|

clmlbx

Technomancer
really nice guide but much easier is to make xp+sp2+updates cd using rvm update with rvm integrater or nlite .

one can do in every 3 months . so no problem

after installing xp from above cd that u have made, u can download and update ur windows from microsoft . ( monthly updates that are released after ur updating windows using rvm )

then again make new cd with updates after few months or on next windows crash .

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
clmlbx said:
really nice guide but much easier is to make xp+sp2+updates cd using rvm update with rvm integrater or nlite .

Download the individual updates automatically using MBSA, WUD or Offline update script, then integrate with nLite. Simple.

one can do in every 3 months . so no problem

Why reinstall Windows at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom