How to update bios through a bootable disk?

warrior047

In the zone
Friends,
I have an issue with an updated BIOS. ASUS M2N-VM DVI doesn't allow me to revert back to my original saying that the model name doesn't match.
When contacted their support, they told me to use AFUDOS in the following way:

Insert the usb flash drive with the latest bios and afudos utility file in usb port.
Boot your computer when the asus logo appears ,press f8 to show Boot Device select menu.
Insert win 98 bootable cd into the optical drive as the boot device.
when the MAKE DISK menu appears, select FreeDos command prompt item by pressing the item no.
At the dos prompt ,type d: and press <enter> to switch the disk from Drive c (optical drive) to Drive d(flash drive).
please refer the step as the below mail.
Dos Command : d:\>afudos.exe /i(filename).press enter to flash the BIOS
Reboot the system.

Seems like am clear with these, but am confused with the terms boot disk.
Is it the Win 98 SE bootable setup CD? Or is it the Win 98 boot disk ISO which is only 3 MB? Also whats with this MAKE DISK menu? Am confused.

My requirement is to place the pen drive with the utility and the BIOS, click the command from DOS during boot. Means I need to get into DOS while booting.

So which boot disk should I use? Please suggest

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Is it the Win 98 SE bootable setup CD? Or is it the Win 98 boot disk ISO which is only 3 MB? Also whats with this MAKE DISK menu? Am confused.

yes thats a win98SE boot disk...

There are 2ways to update BIOS
A) using the manufacturer supplied tool or 3rd party tool such as @BIOS...

B) Downloading the Latest BIOS form official site & flashing through bootable CD/Floppy/PenDrive.

Now a days almost all mobo come with DUAL BIOS options means if one BIOS fails then other BIOS can be used

Last edited:
OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
There are 2ways to update BIOS
A) using the manufacturer supplied tool or 3rd party tool such as @BIOS...

B) Downloading the Latest BIOS form official site & flashing through bootable CD/Floppy/PenDrive.

Now a days almost all mobo come with DUAL BIOS options means if one BIOS fails then other BIOS can be used

Thanks but honestly, need accurate details. My manufacturer's update tool doesn't work as per them in this case which is why, AFUDOS is suggested by the manufacturer to be used for the same.

Also, the option B is already known to me. My ques is when we mean bootable disk to enter DOS while boot, Is it the Win 98 SE bootable setup CD? Or is it the Win 98 boot disk ISO which is only 3 MB? Also whats with this MAKE DISK menu?
Pls let me knw

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^yes win 98 Boot disk is small & used by floppy (my frnd use to boot & format his P3 system).

AFAIK Make Disk is the option to create a boot sector/disk using DOS command.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
^yes win 98 Boot disk is small & used by floppy (my frnd use to boot & format his P3 system).

AFAIK Make Disk is the option to create a boot sector/disk using DOS command.

Which means I need to burn that Win 98 SE boot disk file of 3 MB size instead of the 98 bootable set up right? Which one of these should I use to write to a cd?

Windows 98 Boot Disk Download | AllBootDisks - Providing Free Boot Disks from MS-DOS to Windows XP.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I've answered it some where before ;-)

Just make a bootable USB pen drive ( there's plenty of tools and tutorials online )
Copy the Bios file and all other required file like afudos into USB Pen Drive
Set your Bios to Boot from USB HDD and select USB HDD as first boot option
Insert The pen drive and boot with it
Your system will boot from the pen drive
Now use afudos and required commands to upgrade or down grade the bios - just try it ;-)

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
I think I've answered it some where before ;-)

Just make a bootable USB pen drive ( there's plenty of tools and tutorials online )
Copy the Bios file and all other required file like afudos into USB Pen Drive
Set your Bios to Boot from USB HDD and select USB HDD as first boot option
Insert The pen drive and boot with it
Your system will boot from the pen drive
Now use afudos and required commands to upgrade or down grade the bios - just try it ;-)

HI, Need help please.Done as you said as per below:

Mobo supplied AFUDOS was of version 229 but it didn't allow me to downgrade saying my original BIOS is too old. Hence got the version 207 AFUDOS.
Copied the AFUDOS and the original BIOS file to the pendrive. Booted from the DOS.
Gave the command AFUDOS /i0201BIOS.ROM
It completed successfully by erasing and writing flash.
It said "Please restart your computer".

But then I switched the system down and removed the power cable so as to reflect the settings.

Now when I try to restart, the Mobo doesn't come up as saying ASUS. No Boot happening. NO SINGLE BEEP ATLEAST. Just blank screen .Is it something related to the /pbnc command not being used because this is not booting up?

Having referred the forums after this, as per the manual, I also removed the power cables and even resetted the CMOS by removing the jumper from normal (1-2) to clear CMOS (2-3) and then put it back. Removed the battery and waited for 20 min-40 min and then put it back to clear the CMOS.

Power comes to Mobo and Mobo switches on. Fans run and so does processor. But the signal from Mobo doesn't come to monitor. Hence no boot. As a part of debug, removed the cmos chip, removed the graphic card and even removed the RAM and tried the same.

Still the same issue. Boot is not happening. Please help as whats going on inspite of the revert back of the BIOS being successful!! The only thing is I didn't restart the PC immediately and shut it down and then started 5 min later!!!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ looks like the update process has bricked your mobo bios - if it's still under warranty send it for RMA.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
^^ looks like the update process has bricked your mobo bios - if it's still under warranty send it for RMA.

Didn't get it mate...what might have happened? How much does it cost? What exactly might be damaged? Because it seemed to complete successfully. For other AFUDOS 2.07 worked fine but for me this is the case...:cry:

Please help if there is any other way for my computer to atleast give a beep and start boot?

Is the warranty expired as I bought it in Oct 2008 and it was manufactured in May 2008? I heard its 33 months only from dealers and that too from mfg date???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think the bios get corrupted somehow in the update process- only way is to send it for RMA and the mobo you have comes with 3 years of warranty from purchase date - so send it for RMA asap.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
Guys, my config is as below:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (Windsor) - Socket AM2 (940)
2 GB Transcend DDR2 Regular UDIMM - PC2-6400 (400 MHz) - (1 GB RAM X2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Seagate 250 GB hard disk
I don't remember the SMPS but I bought it for 400/- that time in 2008.

Everything was working fine till I had this below!

Current Mobo suspected to be bricked by BIOS -> M2N-VM DVI

If at all the repair is an issue with money costing around 1000/-, do you think its worth to buy a new Mobo? If so, what do I have?

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
is not it's still under warranty ? Then why should you need spend 1000 bucks ?

Am nt sure but some say that the bios chip is gone. Not sure what exactly the issue is till I go to asus service. I bought this on June 2008. Also the asus guys in their forum were asking me to send the invoice so that they can help me but now they don't even respond.....

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
^^ make a trip to the asus service center first and take the invoice with you.

I am ready to go for a new Mobo if this costs more...its actually very far so I want to get the decision in one shot then....if they say more, then I will immediately go for a new mobo....pls let me know the suitable and best mobo within 2k-2.5k based on my config provided....please. Because if its less, I can get repaired but then still there would be no special warranty....just to be safe, please suggest me a new mobo as per the need

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
^^ get this then Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 - should be around ~2.5k.

thanks mate...is it an advanced version of what I currently have? BEcause I bought M2N-VM DVI for 3400/- in June 2008 which is not booting the sys up...

Pls suggest me the VFM and also the CPU compatibility as my previous one seemed to perform slow in videos due to the in-compatibility as M2N-VM DVI supported only till 5600+ and I had 6000+!

Top Bottom