How to unmount partitions using root privilege in Ubuntu 10.10?

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Hi, I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed on my PC. I want to unmount an NTFS partition using 'Disk Utility'. But when I click on the 'Unmount Volume' option, I receive an error which says -
"An error occurred while performing an operation on "17 GB Filesystem" (Partition 5 of Partition 2 of ATA SAMSUNG HD080HJ): The operation failed."​
When I clicked on 'Details', it shows -
"Error unmounting: umount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
umount: only root can unmount UUID=8A8AC0518AC03C07 from /nisarg" [Where nisarg is the mount point of the volume]​
So please help me!

Thanks in advance,
Nisarg Shah

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Did you mount that partition by entry at /etc/fstab or by sudo mount command? In either case the Disk Utility is powerless (AFAIK) to unmount that partition.

simplest method :-
>open terminal and type "sudo nautilus" and nautilus will open as root. Then click the mounter drives and unmount :)
a bit complex one :-
you have to edit /etc/fstab. for that, open the terminal and type
"sudo gedit /etc/fstab"
and delete the line that contains '/nisarg' and save it. Restart the computer and you can mount it again from Nautilus any time you want in future.

Rahim

Married!
The above solutions are all fine and i want to add one more considering you want to mount/unmount dirives using normal users.

Edit /etc/fstab file with root privelege and edit the line and add user as one of the options.
How to edit and understand /etc/fstab

Top Bottom