How to triple boot (Win7 Home, Win7 Ult, Ubuntu)

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Hey guys,
I want to triple boot between win7 home, ultimate, and ubuntu. I have win7 home installed and there is an application that i cant risk loosing. So, any help?

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
you can upgrade to win 7 ultimate without loosing data ...why make a khichri of 3 OS , just upgrade to win 7 ultimate and install Ubuntu

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
1) install Windows 7 Ult, no need for separate Win 7 Home. It's pretty much same
2) Install Ubuntu after Win 7 (suggesting this as windows deletes whole boot table when installing so you will need more effort to again chance boot settings using something like EasyBCD)
3) Enjoy both OS. no need for 3 OS

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Because i inherited my dad's laptop (not sure if inherited is the right word :p) and can't do much in it without asking him. So in the remaining 150 GB, want to install Ubuntu and Win7 Ultimate and then not booting into my dad's files at all. And please don't suggest backup options because my dad will just probably postpone it because he remains usually very busy...

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
wont be of much use if you install. Win 7 Ult has all features of all other Windows version and some more

if you so badly want just install both windows then get ubuntu installed. after that use EasyBCD to get one Windows restored.

Not worth the effort IMO :(

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I was thinking of the following set up:
Use ubuntu CD partitioner (GRUB ?) to make two new partitions.
Then install win7.
Then install ubuntu.
Will it work, or is there some loop-hole in my procedure?

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. If you already have partitions, skip the next few steps
2. Install a free partition manager software (Paragon, EaseUS are a couple of good options)
3. Defrag your system
4. Backup important data.
5. Run the free partition manager and breakup the hdd space for windows 7 ult and for linux
6. Install Windows 7 Ult in the second partiton
7. Install ubuntu in third partition.

Hopefully, you should be able to achieve triple boot without loss of data.

Arun

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@sakumar: Thanks! Will let you know how it turns out. And if the "Arun" in the end refers to my name, my name is "Aaruni".

^^backup your important data. Is there a risk of loosing it? :confused:

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^The Arun in the end refers to my name (Arun kumar)

Regarding risk of losing data, there is always risk of losing data whether you are meddling with the system or not. Even under regular usage, your hard disk can go kaput without warning. Hence it is better to backup data regularly. And when you are doing repartitioning and installation of OSes, an unexpected crash, etc can cause the data in your hdd to get lost. Hence, before partition and OS installations, it is essential to take backup on the philosophy of "Better safe than sorry"

Arun

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Thanks for the help guys, but this has been postponed to the date I finish my 10th standard R.D. Sharma book :( . Will report back after that (a loooong time :p )

Last edited:

narain

Broken In
Just a thought..Instead of installing a new Win 7 setup, why not create a new USER with no admin rights, which will definitely let u not access other user's files.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
The original problem is that I can't fiddle around in the OS and set it to my preferences. Hence I want a dual boot / triple boot configuration (thinking of dropping ubuntu), while not touching my father's files at all.

root.king

geek in action
why are u wasting such huge space only for OS just upgrade to win7 ultimate and install ubuntu in diff partition
tripple os make mess to operate

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@kiranbhat: Dropped the idea of installing Ubuntu. And I am not upgrading because then there would be only 1 OS, mine and my dad's, instead of my OS and my dad's OS.

now my disk space usage is like this :
*i.imgur.com/noTch.png

And I can't make a new partition...

The above problem is now solved. Will report back after installing Win 7 Ultimate :D

OK, need more help. Now I have some unallocated free space. What to do to make a bootable partition?
Also how to make it inaccessible from the current OS?

When I try to make a new partition, it comes as a logical drive. I need a primary partition to install windows 7. This is my 4th partition, and I do not plan on creating any more.

noob

Cyborg Agent
Because i inherited my dad's laptop (not sure if inherited is the right word :p) and can't do much in it without asking him. So in the remaining 150 GB, want to install Ubuntu and Win7 Ultimate and then not booting into my dad's files at all. And please don't suggest backup options because my dad will just probably postpone it because he remains usually very busy...

Your dad wont even notice if it is windows 7 home or ultimate edition. Just install 2 OS (win 7 ultimate and Ubuntu)

Top Bottom