how to set up Wireless LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

susk21

Broken In
hi.guys.
anybody is having a WLAN?
what is tha max range?
and is it required to take some kind of permission for its set up?

theraven

Technomancer
1) i have WLAN so does digen
2) range is abt one room worth
cuz walls we have here ar too thick for the signals to cross
3) no permission is required

so what do u wanna know ?
u can have an adhoc network with jsut 2 wifi cards for each pc
or u can have an infrastructure setup with a wifi router/access point as the centre !
look for my "GUIDE" to WiFi for more details on WiFi
its in the tutorials section

digen

Youngling
The theoritical range of a any standard device available as of now is 300 feet[92.8 metres to be precise] but environmental factors come in which makes it very difficult to say whether you might get a signal say upstairs while you place the router/access point on the ground floor.

As you may know data is actually passing through thin air ie. radio waves, high intesity radiation,cordless phones operating on the same frequency may disable the WLAN altogether !
Although the above were a couple of examples there are many things to consider when setting up a WLAN network.

Also you can extend the range with the help of a device called as Range Expanders or be adding high gain Antenna.
Linksys has many such products,you can check the range expander from here: *www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?...578138&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

The range expander does the same job of what a "repeater" does in a wired network.

OP
S

susk21

Broken In
hi guys and thank you very much.
but can i set up the Lan between the range of 2.5Km?
are there any ways to do so except WLAN?

geekysage

Journeyman
You can.

You'll need signal boosters and directed antennas for such a setup. Let me warn you that such a setup is gonna cost you atleast $200 or ~Rs.10,000. Hawking Technologies, linked above, is the leading manufacturer of such products. Earlier a user needed a permit to buy such hi-gain and db network antennas and boosters but looks like the US govt. has relaxed the rules so now anybody can buy it directly like any other product.

I am not sure if you would be able to get such stuff in the indian market. Although you can build your own antenna using tin cans and stuff, i wouldn't advise that unless you are into geeky things. The reason i say so is because a regular guy would get very frustated when the thing wouldn't work after putting in hours at a stretch.

By the way, I once made one for myself to access my university wireless from a distance of around 500m. I didn't have to get the regular cable internet and it saved me a lot of money.

NiluGeek

Broken In
setting up a WLAN

HI
u want the range of 2.5 km , than for that matter as u Know by Now that range of wap[wireless access point] is 300 meters, u should go in for multiple access points[routers],for eg if there r two routers or wireless access points each having range of 300 meters than it totals up to 600 mtrs,thus increasing the RANGE , But Obstacles such as thick walls reduces the range.

And that the router & wireless adapter or card u purchase, it should be of HP or Linksys as they r the good brands available in market,see that the
Router is
Wi-Fi certified
supports 802.11 a/b/ g in particular. as the speed is more
more Important has the facility of closing u r network fr bettter security.i.e making u r SSID or network name Invisible to other outsiders.For more information u can also visit the wifi website.

www.Wi-Fi.org

geekysage

Journeyman
Hey, you forgot to add sage after geeky :p

Nah, i don't have a pdf but i already posted the link to a DIY guide in the first post.

I used the wifi-toys book to build mine. And the site *www.wifi-toys.com will be a good addition to your regular browsing list if you are a wireless enthusiast like me. Did you know the current world record for max wireless range is 125 miles? Yeah, I'm kinda a DEFCON guy and do some crazy stuff as a hobby.

OP
S

susk21

Broken In
THANKYOU VERY MUCH geekysage.
money is not a problem.but the problem is of permission and the TOYS.if not avaliable in INDIA no probs.you are there na!!!!!!!
my problem solved.
i will set it up in december and will replay.
thank you moderators.
YOUR FORUM RULES!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom