How to set up networking with server machine for 20 pcs

hansraj

In the zone
Networking gurus need your help!!!
I have a 2 years old server machine. My PCs at workplace have increased upto 20. Its almost backbreaking for me to manage them for the operators using them. First I will share my requirements so as to come up with the best solution
My Requirement and usage pattern
1. All the PC users are not limited to 1 pc and keep changing their stations as per availability. So I will have to give them access in all PCs
2. I have to install Printer, preferably over the network and not connected to a pc as that pc will have to be switched on for the use of printer.
3. I would like to give different users different privileges.
4. I have to update the antivirus definitions of all PCs. I would like to do that from server automatically rather than sitting on each pc.
5. The internet connection would be restricted only to the server and not to any other PC on lan.
6. Few PCs on my network are using XP and few are on Windows 7, hope this should not cause some kind of compatibility issue.

Now, my questions are
1. What kind of OS on the server machine would be good and ideal for my purpose.
2. What kind of networking option or programming option or third party software should i use to effectively manage the pcs as I have mentioned above.
3. I have excellent knowledge of XP and Win7 as a standalone user but never had any experience in networking arena.

Please share whatever you can :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Contact a good technician and ask for suggestions regarding the budget,technical requirements.
1. I think Linux is best for networking but you can go for Windows Server 2012.
2.There are lots of server management software sold locally.
3.You only need help when there are repairs to be done to the hardware otherwise the server management does the whole work of optimizing the whole network.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
^ how can you suggest linux to him, he is obv. new to this things ?

you have any budget to invest into buying server OS?

latest is Windows Server 2012 but for your purpose you will be fine with 2003 too.
Networking has nothing to do with your server.
networking check this images *www.conceptdraw.com/How-To-Guide/picture/Simple-LAN-big.jpg

instead of 3 hubs you will have only one will be sufficient.
hub = a device which connects all computers and enable pc to interact with each other.

there are hub available with 25 ports which will cover your requirement.
RJ32 pins and cables. to do cabling you will need crimping machine so don't get into those things hire some local hardware guy.
he will do all the cabling for you. all the cables will end up in your hub. cables 1 end into PC and 1 end in Hub.
means each pc's LAN port to Hub. from server to hub and you your networking is done.

all info might be overwhelming for you but still need help you can PM me your number. :lol:

to block internet just don't share it from server means don't configured to it be shared.
managing xp and windows 7 machines are easy. you don't need any prior knowledge as it's just 20 computers with less headache.

hope that helps.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just to add for printer get one with lan port & connect it to hub but these are costly.alternatively you can use usb port to connect printer to server pc & then share it with the network.since server will be running most of the time & more than any other system in your network you don't have to turn on a pc just to use printer.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
you can rent such printers with lan port. you pay per copies no worries about maintaining and refilling anything. ask at xerox shops they will help you find one mostly they will give on rent.
printer is something you need around where you employees sits so if server is near plug printer directly to server or else to a desktop pc.
or peon can get it from server room.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
Contact a good technician and ask for suggestions regarding the budget,technical requirements.
1. I think Linux is best for networking but you can go for Windows Server 2012.
2.There are lots of server management software sold locally.
3.You only need help when there are repairs to be done to the hardware otherwise the server management does the whole work of optimizing the whole network.

Thanks bavusani. Linux is not what I see as my solution even if its cheap. I want windows based server becoz of my prior knowledge with windows. It will cost some money but thats fine. Which is the server management software you are talking about.... It would be great if you recommend me few names based on your experience or online discussions. I forgot to mention in my opening post that I would be enforcing policies through single machine(of course the server) so the server management software should be able to provide me all such options as mentioned in the opening post

^ how can you suggest linux to him, he is obv. new to this things ?

you have any budget to invest into buying server OS?

latest is Windows Server 2012 but for your purpose you will be fine with 2003 too.
Networking has nothing to do with your server.
networking check this images *www.conceptdraw.com/How-To-Guide/picture/Simple-LAN-big.jpg

instead of 3 hubs you will have only one will be sufficient.
hub = a device which connects all computers and enable pc to interact with each other.

there are hub available with 25 ports which will cover your requirement.
RJ32 pins and cables. to do cabling you will need crimping machine so don't get into those things hire some local hardware guy.
he will do all the cabling for you. all the cables will end up in your hub. cables 1 end into PC and 1 end in Hub.
means each pc's LAN port to Hub. from server to hub and you your networking is done.

all info might be overwhelming for you but still need help you can PM me your number. :lol:

to block internet just don't share it from server means don't configured to it be shared.
managing xp and windows 7 machines are easy. you don't need any prior knowledge as it's just 20 computers with less headache.

hope that helps.

Thanks humanbot. I have two 12 port switches both connected to each other. I/O points have been also configured. Network printer though costly, has been already purchased. Its only the software part I am looking forward to. As suggested I would go for either 2003 or 2012. My headache is to set up the connectivity & administrator part not the physical connections. Physical connections are in place with all ports, cat 6 cables and ip addresses(as of now static but if required I will make them dynamic if req) assigned.
I shall be happy to share my cell no as well to discuss the software part but I think as of now the discussion is going in hardware direction.

@whitestar
Thanks for the alternative but the printers have been procured and yes you are right about using it with server but in my case the server shall not be physically accessible to rest of the pc users.