How to set up a proxy server at home?

balaji2525

Broken In
Hi Guys, I have a 2 pc with me

1. new pc running windows 7 wit NIC card
2. old pc running xp

With my new pc, I have connected old pc in NIC ethernet port and internet in the motherboard ethernet port. I want to set up a proxy server in my new pc to share internet. I like to keep track of my broadband usage too, i heard proxy server can do that. I want to know good proxy server software and how to configure in my small network, step by step.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
To share your Internet Connection Over LAN ,you can do it directly without the need to Setup a Proxy Server.

Secondly If You Want To setup Proxy on one of your PC and browse through it using 2nd PC connected to it.
Then You need to Setup A VPN/And Install Proxy Server on Your First PC .

Here is the method to Share Internet Connection B/W Windows XP and Windows 7 over Local/LAN.

Use Networx To Monitor your bandwith Usage.

Make Sure that its the proxy Server That You want.
Guide.

Last edited:
OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
To share your Internet Connection Over LAN ,you can do it directly without the need to Setup a Proxy Server.

Secondly If You Want To setup Proxy on one of your PC and browse through it using 2nd PC connected to it.
Then You need to Setup A VPN/And Install Proxy Server on Your First PC .

Here is the method to Share Internet Connection B/W Windows XP and Windows 7 over Local/LAN.

Use Networx To Monitor your bandwith Usage.

Make Sure that its the proxy Server That You want.
Guide.

Thank you... Any idea about Squid?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Squid is Reverse Proxy System-used by Web Servers to distribute/delive r pages/content through caching.
Its not meant for Home Use and neither it is targeted at Windows OS.
It is optimised for UNIX.

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
Squid is Reverse Proxy System-used by Web Servers to distribute/delive r pages/content through caching.
Its not meant for Home Use and neither it is targeted at Windows OS.
It is optimised for UNIX.

Hi sujeet, i m trying to set up proxy not just for sharing internet but, In my college and work place they have proxy to filter sites and monitor the site we visit , they simply have ultimate control over the network. So, I m just curious to know how it is done.

After a search i found FreeProxy to be a popular proxy server software. I tried to set it up, I followed this youtube tutorial How to Create a Proxy Server Using FreeProxy In Windows 7 - YouTube but I couldn't get it done perfectly. It is not working for me

Top Bottom