How to retrieve 700GB worth of Data

hansraj

In the zone
Friends I am in a dilemma to update the firmware of my Iomega HD Screenplay Director. The company website says very clearly that updating the firmware may cause the loss of data. Now since the data is around 700GB on the media player its a challenging task for me to back up somewhere and then again copy those files back after the update. I am sure that its the Table of Content or the File Index which gets deleted with the data intact in the player, when firmware is updated. But the problem is I dont know how to take a backup of this Index(or Table of Content) and later restore this index once I update the firmware.
Any suggesions...... not updating as of now and waiting for the solution.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
you thinking is very logical, but i do not think there exist such way to preserve the data.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Is it very necessary to update ur firmware?

Just imagine, u found a full-proof way to backup the indexes, and in time of recovery they just did not work.Wat happens then.

If u love ur data don't even touch d HDD.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
or borrow a HDD from a friend...i would do that...we (my group of friends) have used atleast 2-3 laptops to save data of one system if that system needs formatting.utilize all your resources :D

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
@gagan007 and rhitwick

What you are saying is absolutely correct. Its wise to learn from others rather than commiting those mistakes on your own. I am planning to copy those files to my Desktop 1 TB HD first and then do the updating of firmware. Now update the Player and then try to restore the data through a better and efficient method(Which I dont know yet and trying to find out). If the restoration fails by the suggested method then copy the data back from my desktop to player.

My only concern was, there should exist a better and a faster method which will prevent me from

copying from media player to desktop= 2-3 hrs of copying time
restoring form desktop to media player= 2=3 hrs of copying time again.
overall a lame (but sureshot method of course)
Trying to cut down the 2-3 hrs of restoration time if the index/table of content method suceeds

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The data copy speed would depend on the medium and HDD r/w speed.

With only USB 2.0 ur read/write speed would be close to 25/30 MB/Sec.
In ur case 700GB data may take close to 5hrs. (My 450GB data took 4+ hrs to copy at a rate of 19-20MB/Sec)

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
my one day would be gone........ just in transferring..... I am sure there would be a easier and quicker method. I found one link but not very sure if this will do.

*www.partimage.org/Partimage-manual_Backup-partition-table

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
my one day would be gone........ just in transferring..... I am sure there would be a easier and quicker method. I found one link but not very sure if this will do.

I say do backup ur data first in ur desktop. Keep the copy process at night and go to sleep :) and then try this method.

In other thought, what if the firmware update does a low level format of ur HDD?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

good find buddy...but even they are saying that backup your data in case something goes wrong...I second rhitwick....do not play with your precious data buddy... :)

In other thought, what if the firmware update does a low level format of ur HDD?

heeheehee then there won't remain any table...let alone data ;)

Top Bottom