How to remove Bad Sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberplanet

Right off the assembly line
Hi

I have seagate 80 GB HDD.It is just 7 month old but have developed 16k Bad Sector in c: partition.

Is there any way we can remove bad sector.

waiting for your reply

vinay_001

Broken In
bad sectors can't be removed dear but yes you may block any data going into them, so that the virtually remain unsed. there are many such softwares available..

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Seagate hard disks usually have extra sectors, incase any bad sectors develop, these sectors are used to replace those bad sectors.
You can use the softwares available from seagate website (www.seagate.com) to fix them up.

You can download SeaTools desktop from
*www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Search the site for additional info.

Mine HDD also developed a few bad sectors, i downloaded the s/w, but haven't used it yet.

If u use reply me

q3_abhi

Youngling
Bad Sectors cannot be recovered but they can be skipped to prevent from being accessed.

I think using a Seagate utiltiy will be gud for ur hard disk. Try it out.

bikram_singhy

Broken In
Bad sectory can not b removed....

7 months old HDD.....

BAD sectors......

Come on man WAKE UP......u have the HDD in warranty period stop looking for solutions and get a replacement....

no other way to remove harddisk's BAD BLOCKS....... than getting replacement...

Had got very bad experiance with Segate HDDs......

any way take ur time as segate gives 3-5 years warranty.....

bye

khansdream

Journeyman
Please read the warranty card carefully whenever you buy a piece of hardware. We usually skip reading.

FYKI a harddisk with the problem of only bad sectors can not be replaced, you have to damage ur hdd first, either remove all the bad sectors for its use which is of course not easy or create one more bad sector in MBR area so that u can not get booted and then go for replacement.

BTW, my suggestion is very simple, if u have a seagate please use the utilities provided by seagate only, otherwise u know.........!!! what is Warranty Void..!!!

ronweasley

Broken In
u'll definitely lose all data if you do this. download the seatools prog. as suggested and perform a zero-fill process. it'll take abt 5hrs but after that ur hdd's BRAND NEW. that 16k of bad sectors will disappear(i mean blocked). now install ur OS. ur comp will simply zip through. it worked for me. cheers

bikram_singhy

Broken In
khansdream said:
Please read the warranty card carefully whenever you buy a piece of hardware. We usually skip reading.

FYKI a harddisk with the problem of only bad sectors can not be replaced, you have to damage ur hdd first, either remove all the bad sectors for its use which is of course not easy or create one more bad sector in MBR area so that u can not get booted and then go for replacement.

Which world r u living in.......

I have 72 computers to support...... means 72 HDDs.......

in past 7 months I have replaced 7 HDDs...

1) 5 Nos Segate 160 GB
2) 1 No. Samsung 160 GB
3) 1 no Samsung 80 GB

All reason Badblocks developed in HDD......

None was damaged because of any other reasons...

and waht do u mean by this that

u have to damage ur HDD first....

only damage which HDD can get is Badblocks..... (Max of the time 90%-95%))
Media Bad, Power Supply Bad, are 3-4% and Physical Damaged or Damage because of Powersurge are not covered under warrenty...

I started my career as Service Provider in 1995, days when 540 GB was max avaliable and That time too I used to gfet replacement because of bad blocks.. ofcourse we used to get replacement after 2-3 months but we used to and there was lot of paperwork then....

If u say We dont read the warrenty card than i would suggest u that if u read the warrenty please read carefully

*www.seagate.com/support/service/warranty.html

What Do Our Warranties Usually Cover?
Our warranties cover defects in material or workmanship in new Seagate products. Only consumers purchasing Seagate products from authorized Seagate retailers or distributors may obtain coverage under our limited warranties.

defects in material or workmanship.....
Bad blocks r defects and it requirs replacement .... BAD blocks occur and tell u that media is going bad and ultimatly the full HDD will die.... so it has to b replaced

thanx

khansdream

Journeyman
Thanks for information............!!!

I carefully read the whole support pages of Seagate but not yet found where they mentioned that they will replace hard disk even with a single bad sector.

As u said you are working since 1995 when maximum was 540GB, please think again, as I am working in IT industry since 1990, and hv worked on 80MB hard disks (size: 8" diameter). And used XT machines too.:rolleyes:

Anyways if u hv special links with hdd manufacturers plz let me.

bikram_singhy

Broken In
khansdream said:
Thanks for information............!!!

I carefully read the whole support pages of Seagate but not yet found where they mentioned that they will replace hard disk even with a single bad sector.

As u said you are working since 1995 when maximum was 540GB, please think again, as I am working in IT industry since 1990, and hv worked on 80MB hard disks (size: 8" diameter). And used XT machines too.:rolleyes:

Anyways if u hv special links with hdd manufacturers plz let me.

Whole world works on comps but I said I worked in Service Sector providing Services to Home users and Corporates...

Dealing with Distributers, Resellers, Retailers........

ts not about special links.... Call Segate service center or Samsung Service cente in ur local area and tell then u have badblocks in ur HDD and what to do ....

They will call u in their center and check ur HDD and tell what can b done....

there r some Servce provider who take ur HDD and then tell u that the HDD is corrupt/Bad sectors and can not b replaced....

but inturn they get the replacement and sell it as secondhand HDD...

I also have worked on XT and that too without HDD... just loading dos prom FDD drives and then swaping floppies... to work

My Idea was to inform u that I am not telliing stories..... I myself have given the replacements to my clients...... YES FOR 1 BAD BLOCK ALSO.PERIOD

I dont want to enter into DOG FIGHT.... So stop making fun in POSTS here....

and YES I WILL GET REPLACEMENT FOR

"cyberplanet"

Hey "cyberplanet" mail me on my ID at yahoo and i will send u the couriering address for hdd and will try to get a replacement for u??? make sure it is not physically damaged.....

black_hawk

Broken In
ronweasley said:
u'll definitely lose all data if you do this. download the seatools prog. as suggested and perform a zero-fill process. it'll take abt 5hrs but after that ur hdd's BRAND NEW. that 16k of bad sectors will disappear(i mean blocked). now install ur OS. ur comp will simply zip through. it worked for me. cheers

Go With Seagate Disk Manager--------> Zero Fill-----------> Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom