how to partition windows space ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit sharma

Journeyman
long long time ago there was an article in an issue of Digit about how to partition ot ur 80 GB space on hard disk while installing windows , after a search in my big pile of old editions i m not able to found out the edition in which that article was :-( ,

so guys my query is :
i had 160 GB of had disk on my new laptop , on which i am going to install XP on 80 GB space , with partitions now is there any way to properly manage everything i would be able to store different things like program files , my document folder on different partitions , so that in case of any reinstallation , the task at hand that time remains minimized ??

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
U can do this for ur 16o GB HDD:

C: containing Win XP--------------------------------> 10 GB
D: containing My Documents (only MS office files) ----> 5 GB
E: containing My Music------------------------------> 25 GB
F: containing System Cache files (used by XP)--------> 2 GB
G: containing Games--------------------------------> 50 GB
H: containing Backup--------------------------------> 5 GB
I: containing Softwares (installed on the PC)---------> 20 GB
J: containing (watever u feel like, say movies)-------> 20 GB
-----------------------------------------------------------

Btw, this is wat i hv done to my 160 GB HDD:

Win XP on C: (its a default)------> 10 GB
Music (D: drive)-----------------> 5 GB
System Cache (S: drive) --------> 4 GB
this, u will hv to make it as soon as u make a fresh install of XP on ur HDD and it shud be twice the size of the RAM tat u hv, so for Eg, a 2 GB system RAM wud mean u shud hv a 4 GB Cache partition (i fu want abt "HOW TO" then i can tell u :) )

Software -----> 5 GB
Torrents -----> 15 GB :D
Backup (or files/ applications to be burned onto a CD/DVD)---> 5 GB
Xtreme-I (this is my game partition) ----> 30GB
Xtreme-II (this is my other game folder) --> 30 GB
Linux -----------------------------------> 15 GB
Movies----------------------------------> 30 GB
------------

THe rest is unallocated space :D

Cheers n e-peace...

sarincv

Journeyman
U can do this for ur 16o GB HDD:

Win XP on C: (its a default)------> 10 GB
Music (D: drive)-----------------> 5 GB
System Cache (S: drive) --------> 4 GB

For installing all your softwares, reserve 20 GB. Don't install any softwares in C drive.
Install games in a seperate drive as he said....

slugger

Banned
G: containing Games--------------------------------> 50 GB
I: containing Softwares (installed on the PC)---------> 20 GB

Don't install any softwares in C drive.
Install games in a seperate drive as he said....

i dont understand 1 thing

how are you recommending him to have installed softwares on a different partition?

when you format your OS partition, all registry entries related to softwares installed on the computer on the other partitions will be lost

so next time you attmpt to start those softwares, they will have no registry entries.

OK some softwares will function nevertheless, but it is not guaranteed that all of them will function [i know mine dont]

IMO, it is a bad disk mgmt practise

if you want a hassle free re-install then i suggest you install all softwares in the same partition as the OS and then take a disk image
so the next time u need to format ur OS drive, just do it and then just re-install the image

will be faster than a full install and as good [better actually if you condier time]

d same image can also be delpoyed on other comps with same config

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

my point was, ppl install s/wares wich they do not knw and sumtines it comes infested by a trojan or a virus too, so if any user installs any s/ware unknowingly onto his C: then it will surely corrupt its WIndows file leave alone the registry (it will be affected too)...

So, in any case he will hv to do a Format(if the virus is a pesky one, as most of them today are, to say the least, the better) and a FRESH install of the OS (and not jus re install the IMAGE) as it will again prompt the virus and/or trojan (or wat ever malicious code) to run in the system... and affect it all over again.. :)

Cheers n e-peace...

slugger

Banned
^^

my point was, ppl install s/wares wich they do not knw and sumtines it comes infested by a trojan or a virus too, so if any user installs any s/ware unknowingly onto his C: then it will surely corrupt its WIndows file leave alone the registry (it will be affected too)...

in most part of the world this would be taken as you questioning mohit sharma's intelligence. and mohit sharma has taken it all lying down (no response)

M.K. Gandhi ka naya avataar = Mohit Sharma :D

So, in any case he will hv to do a Format(if the virus is a pesky one, as most of them today are, to say the least, the better) and a FRESH install of the OS (and not jus re install the IMAGE) as it will again prompt the virus and/or trojan (or wat ever malicious code) to run in the system... and affect it all over again

your intial assumption that Mohit Sharma does not know anything is flawed.

all your problems will be solved if you take the image after running a virus scan. after all will it not be part of your installed sws

you must credit Mohit Sharma with at least that much intelligence :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
12-15GB is enough IMO

Installing software on same or other partition can be compromised, afterall u gonna delete the folder if software are installed on another partition.

Clone the vanilla image, it helps when u hav driver updates and u dont want to reinstall waiting 3o mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom