How to install Linux on an NTFS partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know, how to install linux on my WinXP Prof. NTFS partition without overwriting Windows or other programs. I plan to dedicate 2 GB of space on it off my 20 GB HDD. I plan to remove and reinstall linux installations more often from this partition. The distribution I plan to use is Fedora Core 4, Mandrake or Ubuntu.

Also, tell me how to gain access to my windows files from within linux.

Step by Step details and instructions are welcome.

TIA for all help.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Wrong section dude, you should have put this one in open source. You cannot install linux in NTFS partition . you have to create a seperate linux partition. I guess 2 GB is too little for fedora. maybe some linux geek can help you.

hafees

In the zone
If you have free space in your ntfs partition, use some utility like pqmagic and create some unpartitioned free space.

The 2 GB space is too limited for FC4 or mandrake. You can install linux, but with limited applications in this space. Atleast 4gb is recommended.

Also search the forum for installation. there are lots of threads available

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have searched a lot, but did not find any thread related to it, there is no detailed instructions.

My problem is that I have no partitions on my drive. I would like to create one in order to install Ubuntu (Can't spare 4 gigs for FC or Mandrake). Please give step by step instructions.

Also, can I access my files from my NTFS partition from Ubuntu?

praka123

left this forum longback
if you dont have partns to spare for Linux,and if you have a cd-recorder driver drive..you should try puppy linux.it is a 60MB distro in a cd,which was not finalised..it will run as a live cd and you can browse or do anything you want.then,puppy will save your needed things in the cd itself,ie you are getting ~640MB of free space in the host CD.here the link:
*www.puppylinux.org/

hafees

In the zone
Live Linux distros are good if you just want some linux experience. But it is too slow to practical use.

I am not sure whether ubuntu supports NTFS or not. visit their forum @ *www.ubuntu.com/community/forums.

I recommend PC Quest linux 2006 (with the current issue) it has almost anyting you ever need. and yes it has NTFS support also. It is a custom modified version of FC4. So it should be faster than FC4.

But space is a problem in your case. Try the minimal installation. They have plenty of options for installations.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I tried Puppy linux Live CD and found it very fast on my machine. The only problem was it didn't install drivers for my AC97 soundcard.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I will sugest u to use VMWare and install linux on the Virtual machine. It will allow u to reinstall as many times u wish without affecting anything on the PC.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
But go for VMWare only if you got 1GB of RAM or more. Or else live cd's should do till yuo get a hang of linux.
If you got VMWare then you can do a lot of experimentation with it.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hey,

Give me steps on how to partition my hard drive for 2 GB of Linux space! Since UBUNTU has only one CD, I guess that it is enough, I need it to surf the net and try some C/C++ proframming. I also need to dual boot with windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom