How to increase my system(c)drive?

Shibaprasad

Journeyman
When my HDD was first partitioned and formatted, I kept my C drive 45GB. Now I want to add some space to C partition from other partition and make it 80GB.
1. I don't have any external backup HDD
2. I can backup only one partition among D,E,F
3. There is nothing valuable in C drive rather than OS, so reinstalling Os isn't a problem, But data on D,E,F partition is valuable.

Is there any way I can do this without formatting my whole drive
*img543.imageshack.us/img543/6075/capture01w.png

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
what is "contiguous space"?

I think it's self explanatory, still:

Imagine the square brackets below represents the entire space of your HDD, and its divided into four partitions: (colored stars represents space.)

[ ***C:*** | *** D:*** | *** E:*** | *** F:*** ]

Now in the "diagram" above contiguous spaces can be said to Red and Green space, Green and Blue, Blue and Orange etc...
While the noncontiguous spaces can be said to Red followed by Blue, or Blue followed by Sky Blue, or Orange followed by Sky blue.

I hope you get the point! :p
So you can only merge any partition with a contiguous space, and it can't be merged with space which is not contiguous.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
in windows 7 or vista..
try this..
Resize a Partition for Free in Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

In order to extend C he needs to free up space in the beginning of D. Using the in-built method may free up space at the end of D.

Using Easeus Partition Master is a simpler and better alternative. It is a widely acclaimed free tool.
How to free extend system partition, enlarge or extend C: drive partition under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7/8 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008?

Please follow the instructions of Solution 3 - Extend system partition with partition manager software - EaseUS Partition Master in that page.

Please do these before beginning any operation:
1. Disable System Restore. (Enable it after you have finished extending C and are sure that everything is working well after a reboot.)
2. Use CCleaner on at least C and D partitions. CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
3. Use Windows Defragmenter on at least C and D partitions.
4. Use Defraggler by Piriform on at least C and D partitions. Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download
5. To be sure, in Defraggler also do right click on C and D partitions and select Defrag Free space option.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
"Contiguous space" means "connected" space. Understand it this way. If your partition table is like C,D,E, and if you have to move some space to C, then you can "cut" space only from D as its contiguous to C. You CANNOT choose E in this case. E will be applicable for D.
So basically what you thought is correct, i.e., you have to shrink D and extend C. The risk of loosing data is rare. Use Easeus partition manager.

OP
Shibaprasad

Shibaprasad

Journeyman
Thanks everyone
EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition is a great software and it did all the work.
Now my HDD looks like
*img20.imageshack.us/img20/7924/capture02a.png

ricky641b

Journeyman
Their is one more problem. i am only able to create two partitions C & D .. if i try to create more it says that u have already have maximum partitions!!

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Their is one more problem. i am only able to create two partitions C & D .. if i try to create more it says that u have already have maximum partitions!!

Ha ha. I guess you have all 4 primary partitions then. There can only be a total of 4 primary partitions. You need convert either D or all B, C, D into extended / logical partition(s).

Why do you want to create more partitions and where do want them to be?

OP
Shibaprasad

Shibaprasad

Journeyman
@Ricky
recently I formatted my friend's new HDD. With windows 7 I can't create logical partition during installation. So I inserted my old XP cd and create 1 system partition as well as 3 logical partition, then just cancel the installation of XP after that I install Win7 with already partitioned HDD. I think logical partition cant be created during windows 7 installation. Why dont you create 1 primary partition during Win7 install. later you can create partition in unallocated HDD with win7 disk management tool or EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition
@Sling shot
My HDD was old and formatted with Win XP, D,E,F partition are logical

Top Bottom