How to host website on OpenSuSE 10.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hey aditya I hope you still have 777 permission on your /opt/lamp/htdocs. Pleae give me your IP address, since I can read, write and execute anything I like on that directory, I'd like to play a bit.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ My server at kalpiknigam.com has all files chmodded to 0777.. Try your heart out there :p

@aditya, for a logout system, you will have to use scripts only (PHP would be easy..) And just a suggestion, if you only want to share files, why not run an FTP server with individual passwords for each user?

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@Tech_your_future.... Sure, I will give you mine as soon as you give me yours....

@Kalpik... Actually it's not only sharing files. We are (me and my friends) kind of trying to build up this database where name, address, mail IDs, Birthdates, etc of all of us will be stored. It is kind of useless, I know. But they want it. I thought that this might be the best idea.

And as no one.... (really , you can visit anytime) knows anything (not anything really, but very little) about computers.... it's up to me.... Now you have the idea of my knowledge, so I think you can guess what is their level.... :-|.... Nothing serious... we have CD/DVD/pendrives to share files.

Aditya

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. For that, the best option would be to learn PHP :) Although im not aware of any premade package catering to your needs, but its worth a try to search for it!

mehulved

So, for storing all that you'd require mysql or postgresql, so yeah xampp might be a better idea. I guess you'd find some tutorial on the net on how to do it.
Here's something that might cater to what you like *www.corvalis.net/address/ then *sourceforge.net/projects/php-addressbook/

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thanks guys. Will check them out.... but now, I gotta run....

@ Kalpik... yeah... I want to learn php... but I have my orals going on and then semester exams... plus some other things..... haven't got time :-(......

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
arey yaar tyf it s jus for testing thats y he s keeping it 777 at first.. Btw once the server is setup he can change it to 755 or something appropriate

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Yeah, and by the way, I found this S/W (php script) to be the best suited for what I am doing. The Address Book.

Aditya

One more thing..... I tried the sites given for dynamic DNS..... None worked..... What I have in mind is, can I mask my IP address to something and use that to redirect to my site? Like proxy?

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
man , u wanted Web-Based File Management , so this is the link to one of the best PHP based file managers out there , bytehoard

*www.bytehoard.org

and if u wanna build that kinda system n don't find ny script , PM me i'll help u set it up with Drupal

*www.drupal.org

mehulved

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
and if u wanna build that kinda system n don't find ny script , PM me i'll help u set it up with Drupal

*www.drupal.org
That will be a total overkill, he just needs a file manager and andress book.

aditya.shevade said:
One more thing..... I tried the sites given for dynamic DNS..... None worked..... What I have in mind is, can I mask my IP address to something and use that to redirect to my site? Like proxy?
What do you mean by that? What didn't work? They work for so many people.

Last edited:
OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ By that I mean is, whenever I try to open the site, the admin screen of broadband modem (huiwai or something, MT841) is opened. I tried giving all possible paths, but nothing works.

I have made a directory named website under htdocs in xampp. Whenever I type "ip address/website", I can see the site.

In no-ip, I added the host with my static IP address (address was detected by default) then, I selected port 80 redirect. I gave the port number 80 (If there is a way to see if the port is correct, then tell me).

Now, with no-ip, I got domain name adityashevade.myftp.org , but if I type that, I am asked for the broadband modem username and password. If I type adityashevade.myftp.org/website 404 error is there. Even in case of adityashevade.myftp.org/website/index.html the same 404 error is there. So what should I do?

Aditya

Last edited:

mehulved

aditya you definitely have a dynamic IP, just checked up your IP's.
So, what is happening is that the domain is pointing to port 80 of your router, you need to forward traffic from port 80 of your router to port 80 of your computer.
Try this,
1. log in to your router
2. Navigate to advanced => NAT => Nat Entries
3. Click on new
4. Go to NAPT properties, and type
Status - enabled
Private IP -
Inside port - 80
Host Name - MyFTP(it can be anything but it's nice to keep something that can be understood later on)
Protocol Type - TCP
Port - 80
Apply

Similarly, also open port 21 for TCP.

Check *www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/Smartax-MT-841/FTP.htm

Last edited:
OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ What should I enter for Inside IP (I think you have written private, but it says inside here). I think it isthe static IP address... So what should I do? I think, I have to find static IP, then in network configuration, instead of letting DHCP choose the IP, I have to give a static IP. What is the exact procedure?

And how to open port 21? Should I do the same procedure with different hostname and port number 21?

Aditya

Last edited:

mehulved

Well it says don't enter anything for inside IP, so just try that.
For port 21 see the link I have given and follow it step by step, it's for opening port 21 only. Port 21 is for listening to ftp server.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
i thing u should enable both TCP and UDP for ports 21 and 80 although it's not necessarily needed .

also u could open up port 23 if ur planning on setting up a mail server .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom