How to host website on OpenSuSE 10.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I have had enough experiences of free web hosts, and now I would like to host my site on my PC. It is on 24X7 with internet, so I am thinking of giving it a try.

The site has HTML and also some Javascript (No php, perl, etc...).

Can anyone tell me how to host the site on OpenSuSE 10.2? I searched but could not find anything. Please give step by step procedure if you can.

Aditya

Pathik

Google Bot
better install Xampp... its better and easier to use... also includes support for php, sql and stuff

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It's easier to manage Apache from SUSE. They've put GUI for anything and everything :rolleyes:
And you will find more docs out there for apache

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ But that point and click GUI becomes more cumbersome if you have to troubleshoot anything! I once tried OpenSuSE's Apache.. It was nothing but crap, had to edit 2-3 files to get it going.. I would also recommend XAMPP, its a no nonsense package of Apache, Mysql, PHP :)

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@tech_your_future... I searched on "Hosting Website OpenSuSE 10.2" and "Web Server OpenSuSE 10.2"

I want a little detailed info.... I will try this out and then see if there are any more things (problems :-D)

Aditya

mehulved

If you gonna use XAMPP then check it's docs, if apache then well maybe Suse's site till be good.
Kalpik I know, point and click approach of Suse just messes it all up. That's why I like gentoo and slackware :) and even debian is very good when it comes to servers.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
OK. I downloaded and installed Xampp. I started it, it started fine, but whenever I try to open *localhost, then there is a problem.

The message says that the directory is either read protected or server cannot access it, please contact the webmaster.

What should I do?

Aditya

Pathik

Google Bot
i think u need to chmod the localhost directory... For starters chmod it to 777 to give it all permissions

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thanks. I did that. Now, where should I put all the contents of the site and what address should I type when accessing the site from other computer?

mehulved

chmod 777. Now you are opening a nice security hole. Congrats!
Put the contents in /opt/lamp/htdocs.
To access the site from outside you need to type in your IP address or your domain name, if you have one.
If you have dynamic IP then you can try something like *www.dyndns.com/

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thanks.. I did that. Now one more thing... How can I create I directory so that no one will be able to read the files in it without a username and password? Like you have here in the forum.. userCP needs a username and password......
Aditya

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
now ur getting into advanced stuff.. U need a script 4 that. Btw do u hav a static or dynamic ip??.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I have bsnl broadband. I use the IP address assigned by DHCP. So I guess that it is dynamic.... dunno... But it is the same all the time for the particular port.

I think dynamic.

By the way... which kind of script? Can't I just write a javascript code in my html page... link it to a code file in a directory, and make sure that people cannot read the contents of that directory without a username and pass? So that the .js file will remain unaccessible?

Aditya

mehulved

So, you have dynamic IP, not at all a good way to host a web server. You will have to give the IP to a person who want to connect, everytime. I think dyndns offer services to bypass that thing.
The script written in asp or php would be way better. If it's javascript, i believe people can just read the code and understand how to bypass it.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thanks kalpik. I tried it and it worked.

But what I was looking for was something like an email system... (Not a mail server), but you enter username and pass and then you get to access private fies. In the .htaccess method, once you give username and pass, you can access the files till the browser is closed. There is no logout function. And also, you are asked for username and pass when you want to access files, there is no option of logging in.

About the dynamic address. As I said, unless I change the port, the IP address is fixed, so that is not a big problem right now. But thanks for the sites. I will check them out as soon as the site is finished.

Aditya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom