How to get rid of autocompletepro in browser ?

Sparky19

Broken In
From the past one week i have had a major issue with 'Search' on all websites thanks to a new software called 'autocompletepro'. I have no idea as to how it has come on board for i have not installed it. It is making searching on all websites irritating.

Normally all websites have auto suggestions like google and it is very handy and useful. But this is totally different and new and unpleasant. There is an option to disable it alright, but every time i close and reopen the browser it is back. Can someone help me to get rid of it please.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
If it is a software, uninstall it. In some cases, they modify browser permanently, if so, browser reinstall may be needed. You can use sync to get back your stuff.

OP
S

Sparky19

Broken In
It is definitely not a software that i have installed. So i am not able to figure out as to where i can uninstall it. Its a problem i am facing with all browsers not just chrome.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
When we install some software these things get automatically added as they pay for free software authors. Or it can be some malware that caused it. Check the add ons, you can disable add ons related to autocompletepro in all browsers. If nothing works, best way is to reinstall browsers.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
looks like some malware. cause if this addon came bundled with some software, there should be a easy way to disable it from extension menu.

@OP, either scan your system using emsisoft antimalware or with Trend Micro HijackThis and post a log here. that should indicate whats running in your system.

OP
S

Sparky19

Broken In
Thanks dilip and sam. Did a bit of google search and got to know that its a malware and there are quite a few facing this issue.

I checked for the extensions in both chrome and firefox and found none, so cant disable it. There is no such program as 'autocomplete pro' in program files, so i am not able to uninstall it either. I ran a couple of anti-malware softwares and its not picking it up any.

Totally clueless :-?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Use system restore to a date when it was working. Malwarebytes trial version too can do good. Which antivirus are you using ? Try Avast.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Download Process Explorer from here: Download Process Explorer 15.12 - FileHippo.com

Run the app. Make it full screen. Make all column visible. Then post it's screenshot. Or try to identify the culprit process yourself.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it basically comes embedded with some other software or app and Op should try to remove that app/software/addon first to remove this :

or else he can try the official method ;-)

How do I uninstall ACPro?

You can easily uninstall ACPro using the instructions below for Windows XP:

Close all open Web browsers
From the "Start" menu in Windows, select "Control Panel"
Select "Add/Remove Programs"
Select the program with the text "AutocompletePro" (or our partner’s brand for a custom tool)
Click "Change/Remove"

You can easily uninstall the Toolbar using the instructions below for Windows Vista:

Close all open Web browsers
From the "Start" menu in Windows, select "Control Panel"
Under the "Programs" icon, select "Uninstall a program"
Select the program with the text "AutocompletePro" (or our partner’s brand for a custom tool)
Click "Uninstall" and then "Continue" to remove the Toolbar

If you reopen your Web browser and still see the Tool, you may need to restart your computer for the uninstall process to be completed.

AutocompletePro - FAQ

OP
S

Sparky19

Broken In
Use system restore to a date when it was working. Malwarebytes trial version too can do good. Which antivirus are you using ? Try Avast.

I am using Malwarebytes and Avast both on my system.

or else he can try the official method ;-)
AutocompletePro - FAQ

Wish it was that easy :) Official method put up on their website never works.

Download Process Explorer from here: Download Process Explorer 15.12 - FileHippo.com
Run the app. Make it full screen. Make all column visible. Then post it's screenshot. Or try to identify the culprit process yourself.

Will use that software this evening and post a log.

I am posting a log from the anti-malware software that i ran. It shows no threats

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ read this :
How to remove AutocompletePro

also install a app called unlocker and search for AutocompletePro.dll and try to remove it using unlocker app.

faincha

Right off the assembly line
I'm guessing you might of downloaded an add on called codec c? I'm guessing this because I just had the same problem but then took a look at my most recent add on installed and i uninstalled it, which was codec c, which resulted in the autocompletepro disappearing!

UhhOhh

Right off the assembly line
Hello, I'm having the same problem but when I got to restore the system, I get this message...

Restore system files and settings

System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system.

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information. (0x80042302)

I don't how to check this log but I definitely do not want this program on my computer. Thank you.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure Volume Shadow Copy Service and System Restore Service is Running and Set to Automatic. Follow these steps :

1. Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
2. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set to Automatic.
3. Make sure that the System Restore Service is Running and set to Automatic. if it's not started, start it manually and set it to Automatic.
4. restart the pc and try using system restore.

Top Bottom