How to Erase Data from HDD

baban4u

Broken In
Hello i am going to sell my HDD so just wanted to make sure that there are no Data on my HDD.
Please advise whether just Formatting the Drive will be sufficient or i have to do anything else to be sure ?

gameranand

Living to Play
There are several methods to do this

1. Low Level Formatting
2. Use CCleaner to Drive Wipe
3. Use Eraser

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
get this and make a bootable CD with DBAN. SHould be enough for your purpose :
DBAN Download | Darik's Boot And Nuke

patkim

Cyborg Agent
DBAN offers may erase algorithms to choose from. It's text based though and has one dangerous quick command named 'autonuke'. This will simply hit wipe simultaneously on all detected HDDs in your system. Run this tool in interactive mode and carefully select the HDD to be wiped. since this tool offers boot disk, disconnect any live HDDs from your PC and operate with only the HDD to be wiped.

OP
B

baban4u

Broken In
Thanks to everybody for replying. Just one question will these tools wipe everything including the OS i am currently?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
will these tools wipe everything including the OS i am currently?
It also depends on how the HDD and tool is used. If you run the tool from within the OS on the same HDD to be wiped, then it may not be able to lock the system partition and could exclude OS partition. If the HDD is attached as a second drive in a PC or if the tool is run when booted from & off a separate boot disk it shall wipe OS partition too.

Top Bottom