How to download at 20-30 kbps on 56k dialup connection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi..
I use 56k BSNL dialup and it gives me speeds on about 46.6 kbps. Now,if I AM DOWNLOADING anything through a DOWNLOAD MANAGER or directly, thru the browser downloader (IE 6 or Mozilla) and even if I am not surfing or even if no other program is using the net while I am online, the max. download speed is 5 kbps an mostly it is stuck between 2-3 kbps. Plz help me .. How can anything be downloaded at 3kbps on a 46.6 kbps speed??

hack expert

In the zone
one thing u can do is tweak ur MTU settings if u can do it correctly u cn get a speed boost upto 5-6KBps on normal 56k line i had done it before also had posted it
check this out i have described it in my post

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25415&highlight=mtu

expertno.1

Technomancer
dudue

thats true

5.6 Kilo Bytes per second = 56 kilobits per second !

now you got ?

46.6 = kilo bits per second

whereas in your dl manager

2-3 = 2-3 Kilo Bytes per second

understood ?

Thnaks
Regards..
Expertno.1

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Indyan said:
You have mixed up kBps and kbps.

Your net speed it 56kilobits per second,where as your browser shows download speed in kilobytes per second.
1 byte=8 bits.
So 3kbps=24kBps.
Max speed you can get is about 46kbps or a little less than 6kBps.

i suppose its a typo; it should be:
3kBps = 24kbps
b=bits,B=bytes.
but u got the facts right. so the speed which you are geting is kinda ok. can't help much wid a dialup.

expertno.1 said:
now you got ?
understood ?

Thnaks
Regards..
Expertno.1

huh??? :shock: dude, this will confuse him more!!!

anomit

In the zone
expertno.1 said:

Please refrain from posting personal comments against anyone
- digen

But, returning to the question, if he is connected at 46.6 Kbps, he is bound to get a max d/l speed of something around 5 KBps.

46.6/8 = 5.82

How to download at 20-30 kbps on 56k dialup connection?? - Use your dial-up to find a good broadband deal (like Airtel in India) on the internet. Get the most affordable 256 KBPS DSL and Hey Presto! you can now download at 20-30 Kbps. :lol: :wink:

No seriously, about 7 Kbps is the max you can do on a good day with dialup. It's the BITS BYTES difference as explained by our geeks here.

Keith

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Well it depends on the location from where you're downloading also!! Whenever i download something from download.com, i always choose the nearest location. It helps
Also, if in a P2P program, try to look for the best availability. Greater sources means greater bandwidth and comparitively better speeds. I think you should be happy enoughwith your dialup at 5-8KB/s!
Savvy!! 8)

Dipen01

Youngling
Well i have no idea of difference between KBPS and kBPS...Till now i thought of it as same...But may be its different...

What is that 256 K internet connecting suggests is it K or k...

May be someone may elaborate properly..

hack expert

In the zone
well it is simple

1 KB = 8 bits

the connection speed is always measured in kbps ie kilobits per sec
and the browser measures it in KBps ie Kilobytes per sec
so if u have a 256 kbps connection the speed u get in KBps is
256/8= 32KBps

got it

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Then why are there programs available on the net saying WEB SPPED ACCELARATOR such as Google's.. I mean then what is there use. Moreover, in Microsoft's website, when I go to download updates, programs etc., it shows that so and so speeds, the download will take so and so time.. And I tell you, the time seems as if it is of 56 KBps and not 56 kbps..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
//siddhartha// said:
Then why are there programs available on the net saying WEB SPPED ACCELARATOR such as Google's..

they can do nothing if the type of connection u use is causing the bottleneck!

Dipen01

Youngling
hack expert said:
well it is simple

1 KB = 8 bits

the connection speed is always measured in kbps ie kilobits per sec
and the browser measures it in KBps ie Kilobytes per sec
so if u have a 256 kbps connection the speed u get in KBps is
256/8= 32KBps

got it

Thanx a lot. Sometime ago i use to worry; these guys offer 256kbps then why cant we download with that speed. where is the leak !!

I hope i got it now.

anomit

In the zone
hack expert said:
well it is simple

1 KB = 8 bits

Apologies if I sound rude, but you people should avoid typos while writing such type of stuff. Reiterating.........

1 Byte = 8 bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom