How to disable HDD, but Temporarily ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
hey, let us get the question clear ok. He needs to take and give out the harddrive to his cousin. So no bios changes will persist. And changing the jumper settings or setting the harddrive to slave and all is just a matter for noobs. If a guy can install a harddrive in his sys, he will know how to set a harddrive as a master or whatever. (Not that it will matter anyway). What this guy seems to be asking is if he can make the hardware fail temporarily and any such changes can only be done on the harddrive. The only answer which came even near this problem was by @siriusb.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
siriusb said:
If you are willing to go the extra mile to deny your cousin of your hdd, and you have no qualms de-soldering and re-soldering an smd, just desolder a couple of resitors/caps/chips or whatever is easily accessible on the pcb. As soon as he leaves, resolder'em back on. Just hope that you didn't remove the wrong ones o.o

Or, more practically, just hide it in you closet and tell him you gave it away or something.

Most hideous reply :O

I dont think that we can do anything like that. Am not sure coz u will have to edit his bios then for it not to be detected.

Stalker

Padawan
bharat_r said:
there was some software called Starforce Nightmare which was used to play Star force protected games..u can disable the hard disk with that..

no.....u can only disable CD/DVD drives using tat.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
djmykey said:
Most hideous reply :O
Why thank you!

A more less-adventurous (ha) method would be to tamper with the wires leading off the male molex connectors on your hdd (if your hdd is not sata). Just cut the 5V(red) or the 12V(yellow) wire with a plough knife and stick it back with super-glue. Super glue is non conductive and will not conduct. At the same time, everything will appear fine. (Go ahead and let out an evil snicker while your cousin's comp fails to detect the hdd!)
When you get it back, just scrape off the super glue and solder the wire ends. (and let out another eveil snicker)

Actually, apart from the "say no" reply, this is the third relevant reply to your question. But don't ever try out my suggesstions.

indian_samosa

No longer here..
okay...i have some nasty ones....
1.As someone said above that superglue is non-conductive how about ....coating the power connectors with a thin layer of superglue so that when he plugs it in.....the harddisk wont be detected coz no power to the harddisk....samething can be tried with the datacable pins on the harddisk.But the power connector way sounds better.The glue can be removed later by applying some alcohol with a paint brush or best thing will be paint thinner that can be bought from the hardware store...costs 30/- per litre.

i think that will do......
thank me....please if you liked my answer.....i am kidding...no need to thank......just tell me how everything went......

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
hey super glue is inflammable right? I hate to think what would happen if it burns up due to a spark in the power connector.

Never tried it yet, but i bet it will to give some cool special effect smoke.

navipta

Right off the assembly line
Hi Dear I m Navdeep

Go To The My Computer And Right Click On it
Then Go To The Manage Option And Then Got The Specific Drive Which U Want To Hide Just Right Click On Drive N ReMove its DriveLetter And C The Drive Does Not Shown in My Computer....

Thanx
With regrads,
NavDeep

indian_samosa

No longer here..
ilugd.......
It doesnt need to flame up.......see what i am tryin to say is put some superglue ie a fine coat just so that there is no open space left on the connector.....kinda like coating it in paint.Why superglue .......coz it dries nastily fast ....leaves no trace of ever being used ie visually....and finally he is not going to plug the molex connector when his pc is on by theway......so there is no need for sparking to take place.its just like inserting a plug into the socket with the plug covered with insulation.

Apply one coat.....wait for sometime for it to dry.....then apply another ...try some more times.....so that the coating becomes thick.
PS: doesnt require to coat all the four connectors.Only coat the red one and the yellow one.(not the wires but the pins on the harddisk)

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
ok, @indian will keep that idea in mind. May come in useful some day. The inflamable stuff was just a query. No offence meant. OK??

indian_samosa

No longer here..
ilugd.......dont worry yaar.....
no offence taken on this side either......
We can learn.......after all we seek knowledge .All of us.
And also thats what forums are for .....sharing info and bashing each other's views .....with a noble thought...that is.

cheers.Thinking about hatred is the last thing a person can do....and also there isnt much time in guy's ilfe to waste time on thinking bad things about others.Hope i make my point clear.Feel free to comment ...the stage is all urs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom