C: (48GB) Win7
D: (600GB) ISOs
E: (246GB) Movies
F: (35GB) fraps videos

2. WD black 2TB

G: (100GB)
H: (683GB)
I: (1.05TB)

is it possible to move the contents of C drive [windows 7] into G drive [100GB on 2nd HDD]. without reinstalling windows? i would rename the drives later to make the 2nd HDD's 100GB partition as C drive

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can do this by using clone partition feature found in imaging softwares like paragon(free version available),macrium reflect(free version available),easeus todo(free version available),acronis(free version available as Acronis True Image WD Edition) etc.i suggest using the boot disk option to clone(i.e.not doing it from within software when windows is running) to avoid issues like new boot drive not named C etc.all these softwares have the option to create a bootable cd after installation.you have to copy 2 partitions(no drive letter 100mb system partition & C drive) into your new 100gb partition in 2nd hdd.also after cloning disconnect the old/original hdd so that system boots from new/2nd hdd only.once it does & shows boot drive as C then you can reconnect your older drive & set boot preferences in bios & from whichever hdd you boot windows drive will be named C.

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
^i would vouch for acronis from the above list. But just be careful, make sure you create a backup of the data of C: (use true image for that separately) & then go for cloning. This whole process will require some hours so make sure you have uninterrupted power supply.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's what I meant. Disk Cloning is a way, but chances are he'll face lots of problem with the installed programs and all. So it's best to Re-Install Windows, that's why I suggested it in first place instead of other solutions which can cause 1000's of problems later.

root.king

geek in action
you can do this by using clone partition feature found in imaging softwares like paragon(free version available),macrium reflect(free version available),easeus todo(free version available),acronis(free version available as Acronis True Image WD Edition) etc.i suggest using the boot disk option to clone(i.e.not doing it from within software when windows is running) to avoid issues like new boot drive not named C etc.all these softwares have the option to create a bootable cd after installation.you have to copy 2 partitions(no drive letter 100mb system partition & C drive) into your new 100gb partition in 2nd hdd.also after cloning disconnect the old/original hdd so that system boots from new/2nd hdd only.once it does & shows boot drive as C then you can reconnect your older drive & set boot preferences in bios & from whichever hdd you boot windows drive will be named C.

+1 ...:)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
the OP can test it own using above tools mentioned..and give a feedback if any issues faced after

but i agree with clean install

Top Bottom