How to: Connect 2 PC's (in same room) for LAN gaming, Internet & Data Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

I think the question of the thread is preety simple.. :)

but yes, the problem is that i hv got no idea abt networking stuff (h/ware) so dnt kne wat things are reqd.

Here is the scenario,

1.) I want a LAN Connectivity b/w my 2 systems (PC's) in my own single room separated by a distance of 2-2.1 meters BUT i hv a door in b/w, so this is wat the scene looks like:

[PC-1]----(approx. 4" distance of PC-1 to the DOOR )----{DOOR}------------(approx. 2m dist from DOOR to PC-2)-----------------------[PC-2]

So, in total the approx. distance b/w PC-1 and PC-2 is 2.1 meters

Now, im using a D-Link Router (model: DSL 502T) with ADSL-USB connection with my PC for net surfing (given by MTNL).
-----------

I want:

a.) LAN Connectivity for LAN Gaming b/w the 2 PCs,

b.) (but keeping the plan simple) I DO NOT wish to SHARE net b/w 2 PCs, will use NET only on one PC at one time, but it shud be such that the Router shud be accessible from any of the 2 PCs.. :) hope my point was clear

c.) I want to be able to transfer data (like ISO's, files) from one PC to another (even if this option is NOT available or if its a costly affair, i am ready to drop this plan) as will use a USP drive or DVDs for that purpose,

but a.) and b.) are a MUST requirement.. :)

I do not need wireless connectivity (for lan or for internet surfing, as it maybe costly on h/ware) so a wired connection is wat i prefer.. :)

---------------

Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
Ashu ... This is quite simple .. ( Posting for XP , for Vista only few things r different .. lemme know if the PC is on Vista , will post back again )

First of all , u'll need a LAN Cable / Crossover Cable of arnd 3.00 mtrs so as to get the PC's connected via RJ-45 port present in the PC's.

Just follow these guides LINK 1 or LINK 2

If u want to share files too, u'll have to set up a new connection ... Just choose the option of Set Up a Home Network option in network connections window's left pane menu.
Make sure that u specify same workgroup for both the PC's.
Also , u'll have to enable File Sharing option by goin to the properties of each drive in ur My computer space and choosing the option under Sharing Tab...Make sure sharing isn't disabled by the Windows Firewall.

Hope it helps. If any problem still bugs , just post and i'll surely get back ! :)

P.S :: Sorry for the poor fomatting and shortcuts in explaining , m in a hurry ! Hv to study for exams :(

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
hey BB, thanx for tat reply as well as those 2 link yar.. :) really appreciate it.. :)
-----------

Btw, im using Win XP Pro+SP3 (32bit) on both my systems.. one of my system happens to be the same as in my siggy (it has got a port at the back side of the rig, but i dunno if its RJ-45 or wat.. :confused: how can i Identify tat out.. ? (it sorta looks like a RJ-45 jack.. :confused:

and yes i do also hv a CAT5 (RJ-45) cable at my house, (as i had applied for MTNL's IPtv but then DCed it after jus a week of trouble..lol..)

and the 2nd system is a (P-4, 2.0Ghz, 4x512MB DDR-I (400) RAM) with no RJ-45 port on board, so i guess i'll hv to buy a LAN card for it. .is it.. ?
-------------

Also, chalo LAN part i'll giv it a shot and post my results.. here after reading those 2 links too..:) thanx again...
-------------

But, since there is just one RJ-45 port at the back of my ROUTER (D Link, DSL 502T)..so will the connection will be like this---> (considering tat the ROUTER is connected to PC-2 via ADSL+USB)
[PC-2] <-------connected to Router via ADSL+USB----------> <---------- RJ-45 (CAT5) cable coming from router.. ---------> <------..and going into the RJ-45 port of ------> [PC-1]
--------------

Do let me know..if this is wat the setup looks like...
------------------

Also, All the very best for ur Exams dude... :)
-------------------

Cheers n e-peace....

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
1. Get a Lan Card on PC2
2. Get a Switch to share the Net Connection and create LAN between the TWO PC

A Switch Looks like this
*www.chinapans.com/images/1119686955-8%20port-10-100.gif
Costs about Rs 600

This way you can share Internet Connection between the two even if one PC is off :)

1. Get a Lan Card on PC2
2. Get a Switch to share the Net Connection and create LAN between the TWO PC

A Switch Looks like this
*www.chinapans.com/images/1119686955-8%20port-10-100.gif
Costs about Rs 600

This way you can share Internet Connection between the two even if one PC is off :)
Will it serve my purpose ?

I will be connecting:

1. oooooold 10" DOS laptop
2. Current Pentium 4 Desktop
3. Future personal laptop
4. sister's future laptop
5. My future desktop
6. Some guest's laptop

thats the maximum I may need to connect.

All will be in the same room or atleast, within 5m of each other.

Uses:

1. File sharing
2. Gaming
3. Intenret Sharing
4. Hosting local server
5. Both Windows and Linux (don't worry about this part, I can use SAMBA).

Is this what I do to get the lan rigged up right ?

1. I connect the modem's ethernet cable to the switch
2. I get an rj45 cable per PC and connect to switch

Then what ?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yes.. That's exactly what you need to do.. The router will give IP to all PCs.. You don't need to do anything.. Though since you are planning to use a lot of laptops, i'd suggest you go for a wifi router.. Will cost ~1.7-1.8k.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
hmmmmmmm....... i see...

Ok guys, im getting abit (infact alot) confused now.. :confused:
----------
My need is: To just connect the 2 PC's in the same room as described in my 1st post.. so plz suggest me if im wrong or right below...
---------

Isin't this a preety good solution for a LAN sharing+internet (only on one PC at a time)-----> Since there is just one RJ-45 port at the back of my ROUTER (D Link, DSL 502T)..so will the connection will be like this---> (considering tat the ROUTER is connected to PC-2 via ADSL+USB)
[PC-2] <-------connected to Router via ADSL+USB----------> <---------- RJ-45 (CAT5) cable coming from router.. ---------> <------..and going into the RJ-45 port of ------> [PC-1]

...or am i missing sumthing.. .???? :confused:
-----------

I think for getting a LAN Connection for Gaming+File SHaring+Internet (only on one PC at one time) i can go abt it ion 2 ways....

First: Either to hv 2 normal ethernet cables and a Hub / Switch.

OR

Second: a crossover ethernet cable+LAN Cards in both PC's

Yes.. That's exactly what you need to do.. The router will give IP to all PCs.. You don't need to do anything.. Though since you are planning to use a lot of laptops, i'd suggest you go for a wifi router.. Will cost ~1.7-1.8k.
WiFi is:

1. Expensive
2. Insecure
3. HORRIBLY SLOW to exchange 20-40GB of files.

Wait a sec, you are telling me that the Rs. 600 switch will automatically give IPs to all PCs ?

How will they be identified outside the LAN ? Like for example, if one guy on a PC gets banned somewhere, I don't want everyone on the network to be banned.

And yeah, a switch is different from a router right ?

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
WiFi is:

1. Expensive
2. Insecure
3. HORRIBLY SLOW to exchange 20-40GB of files.
1. Not that expensive. the Famous Netgear WGR614 cost me 1350. Considering a Techcom Switch is Rs 650, i think Netgear WIFI cum 4 port Switch is better choice
2. You can secure it using WEP
3. Yea, a little but frequency of transferring that amount of DATA is low. At that time, you can connect it using Switch feature of WIFI Router to gain full speed. I get average of 2.5MBPS inside my WIFI zone which is sufficient when you want to transfer small small files :)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ sukhdeep...

hey thanx for the pic dude. really appreciate it... :)
------------

Btw, wich brand switch is good.. ??

(i will prefer to buy a "switch" , as in future i will hv a lappy to so will need to connect all 3 (2 PC's and 1 lappy) ..)

Also, Will this switch hv good data transfer speeds while playing LAN games.. ??? and wat abt Internet.. ??? wil ltat be sharable too or jus one PC havign access to net at one time.. ???

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
@ sukhdeep...

hey thanx for the pic dude. really appreciate it... :)
------------

Btw, wich brand switch is good.. ??

(i will prefer to buy a "switch" , as in future i will hv a lappy to so will need to connect all 3 (2 PC's and 1 lappy) ..)

Also, Will this switch hv good data transfer speeds while playing LAN games.. ??? and wat abt Internet.. ??? wil ltat be sharable too or jus one PC havign access to net at one time.. ???

1. Any goes, My friend got this "desi" techcom brand for Rs 600 and it works :) No worries there
2. Yeah, they usual connect at 100mbps speed which is great for File Transfer, forget gaming :lol:
3. Internet should be sharable between all the devices on Switch.. The Advantage of switch is that, the PC 1 doesnt need to powered on for Internet Access and Vice Versa.

If you are looking for Lappy in Future, go for WIFI router cum 4 port switch. That will be good inverstment if you can spare 600-700 More :)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
ok thanx for the update :)

1.) btw, wat abt gaming yaar.. ?? do i need a higher data transfer capable device then..?? :confused:

2.) also, as per ur diagram tat u provided above...one of my PC (say PC-2) is currently having a MTNL Triband internet connection and im accessing the net via the ADSL+USB type.. so can i surf the net (using USB) even after installing the LAN card on it (on PC-2, as it doesnt hv an onboard LAN jack or a card too)....for connection purpose b/w PC-1 and PC-2 ????
------------

3.) And, i think the connection links b/w Router and Switch as well as (PC-1 LAN card, PC-2 LAN card) and switch is jus a SIMPLE RJ45 cable with male connectors at both ends... right /??? or a crossover cable.. ?? or both are the same.. ?? :confused:
--------------

Cheers n e-peace.....

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
^^
ok thanx for the update :)

1.) btw, wat abt gaming yaar.. ?? do i need a higher data transfer capable device then..?? :confused:

Its Enough for gaming
2.) also, as per ur diagram tat u provided above...one of my PC (say PC-2) is currently having a MTNL Triband internet connection and im accessing the net via the ADSL+USB type.. so can i surf the net (using USB) even after installing the LAN card on it (on PC-2, as it doesnt hv an onboard LAN jack or a card too)....for connection purpose b/w PC-1 and PC-2 ????
------------

Forget USB. Use LAN....to connect the Two PCs. A Lan card cost Under Rs 150..
3.) And, i think the connection links b/w Router and Switch as well as (PC-1 LAN card, PC-2 LAN card) and switch is jus a SIMPLE RJ45 cable with male connectors at both ends... right /??? or a crossover cable.. ?? or both are the same.. ?? :confused:
--------------
Cheers n e-peace.....
Right, all Connections i made in Diagram are RJ45. It is Crossover Cable. Right

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
In general,

I think for getting a LAN Connection (on just 2 PC's) for Gaming+File Sharing+Internet (only on one PC at one time) i can go abt it in 2 ways....

First: Either to hv 2 normal ethernet cables and a Hub / Switch.

OR

Second: a crossover ethernet cable+LAN Cards in both PC's
---------

so, i think (as per the diagram) i'll be goin with the first option.... right.. ???? :confused:

yeah i knw im sounding silly, but still every newbie (for networking) has to start atleast sumwhere... lol....
================

Its Enough for gaming
SHukr hai bhagwaan ka..lol...
Forget USB. Use LAN....to connect the Two PCs. A Lan card cost Under Rs 150..
Naa, im not connecting the 2 PC's via USB (i knw tat USB is alot lot slower in data transfer than a LAN connected PC.. :)
but...wat i wanna ask is that....

"Can i still continue to use internet on one of my PC's using the USB.. ???? " (i knw very well that....for connection b/w 2 PC's i'll use the LAN cable a.k.a RJ45 cable) + Switch (4 port+ wifi type)
Right, all Connections i made in Diagram are RJ45. It is Crossover Cable. Right
:confused: ... so im guessing that a RJ45 CAT5 cable with male connectors on both ends will do the job.... right.. ????
-------------

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
In general,

so, i think (as per the diagram) i'll be goin with the first option.... right.. ???? :confused:
yeah i knw im sounding silly, but still every newbie (for networking) has to start atleast sumwhere... lol....
================

EGGJACTLY, Dont worry, i aint a Champ either :lol:

Naa, im not connecting the 2 PC's via USB (i knw tat USB is alot lot slower in data transfer than a LAN connected PC.. :)
but...wat i wanna ask is that....

"Can i still continue to use internet on one of my PC's using the USB.. ???? " (i knw very well that....for connection b/w 2 PC's i'll use the LAN cable a.k.a RJ45 cable) + Switch (4 port+ wifi type)

Here is what you can do,

1. Install LAN Card on PC 2
2. Keep Using Internet Using USB and connect PC1 and PC2 with Lan Card for Gaming and File Transfer Needs. But this will be very complicated i think. Not sure though
:confused: ... so im guessing that a RJ45 CAT5 cable with male connectors on both ends will do the job.... right.. ????
-------------
EGGJACTLY! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom