How to: Connect 2 PC's (in same room) for LAN gaming, Internet & Data Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a diagram which made so it is more clear to you

*i39.tinypic.com/fa505u.jpg

Thanks for the pic. But my networking knowledge is a bit limited. Any extra info on how stuff works here ? And do motherboards have in-built lan cards ? Because I connect my ADSL modem's Ethernet cable directly to an RJ45 port on my motherboard.

1. Any goes, My friend got this "desi" techcom brand for Rs 600 and it works :) No worries there
2. Yeah, they usual connect at 100mbps speed which is great for File Transfer, forget gaming :lol:
3. Internet should be sharable between all the devices on Switch.. The Advantage of switch is that, the PC 1 doesnt need to powered on for Internet Access and Vice Versa.

If you are looking for Lappy in Future, go for WIFI router cum 4 port switch. That will be good inverstment if you can spare 600-700 More :)
1. tech com is decent.
2. Some motherboards only support 10MBPS right ? OOOLD ones I mean ?
3. OK.

Now, can I get wireless routers which have ability to turn off WiFi capability with the push of a button so that I can feel more secure connecting it by DHCP through wire ?
Your Costs will be approx like this

1. Switch - Rs 600
2. Lan Card - Rs 150
3. Lan Cable - Rs 10/ per meter
1. Fine enough.
2. Lan Card comes inbuilt in PC right ? Do I need one Lan Card per PC ?
3. What about RJ-45 plugs which will be attached to both ends of a single cable ?

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
And do motherboards have in-built lan cards ?
Nowadays, almost all do.. Few years back, some did, some didnt. Depends mobo to mobo

Because I connect my ADSL modem's Ethernet cable directly to an RJ45 port on my motherboard.
In that case, it does have a LAN Card

1. tech com is decent.
2. Some motherboards only support 10MBPS right ? OOOLD ones I mean ?
3. OK.

1.Techcom, tech * and Intex is what Assemblers call Desi here :razz:
2. Depends, I havent seen it in my experience....til now though.

Now, can I get wireless routers which have ability to turn off WiFi capability with the push of a button so that I can feel more secure connecting it by DHCP through wire ?
Should be there but not sure since my WGR614 Netgear does allow me do that.

1. Fine enough.
2. Lan Card comes inbuilt in PC right ? Do I need one Lan Card per PC ?
3. What about RJ-45 plugs which will be attached to both ends of a single cable ?

Yes, mostly there is a LAN card in All PC and Laptops these days. Yes, you do need one LAN slot per PC.

RJ45-plugs cost Rs1 to Rs2 and can be crimpped to LAN Wire which costs Rs8-9 per meter. Lan Crimpper or Networking tool is common with most sellers. It is used where the standard wire size doesnt meet requirement. You can find 1Mt, 2mtr, 3mtr, 5mtr and 10mtr easily in shops though :smile:

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok guys,

So, im planning to get a Switch (4 port+wifi link) and the option are as follows:

THe price range is from Rs. 1600/- to Rs.2200/-
and the brands are: Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, D Link (Rs. 2000/-).....

so wich one is the better option.. ??? I knw all are equally good in terms of wired (LAN) connection.... but still.. its the wifi (secure) protection that im worried abt ... so plz tell me wich of these brands has good wifi protection.. ??

Also, i'll be getting a LAN card wich will cost me Rs.200/- so any particular brand to look out for or jus any local LAN card brand wud do.. ??? :confused:
-----------

Cheers n e-peace....

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Ok guys,

So, im planning to get a Switch (4 port+wifi link) and the option are as follows:

There are two famous Routers. One if Linksys WRT54G which has been stopped In India and now comes as WRT54G2 which is slightly expensive.

Other one is Netgear WGR614 which i have. Considering the Price, it is awesome. Here are lots and lots of reviews of it at Newegg
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

As for LAN Card, any will do. Basically they sell Quantum or Intex in Market at that pricing.

Another question:

Can I use an Rs. 15/- RJ-45 splitter if my sole work is to share INTERNET but not have LAN ?

I am talking about the device which at one end has an RJ-45 plug, and goes into the ethernet port of the modem. At the other end there are 2 or more RJ-45 ports (holes) and into it I can connect a few RJ-45 wires.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Err...Sukhdeep, isn't a hub would be more economically efficient for such small set-up?
As far as I know switches are costly (comparing to hubs and used to handle large number of systems).

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Err...Sukhdeep, isn't a hub would be more economically efficient for such small set-up?
As far as I know switches are costly (comparing to hubs and used to handle large number of systems).

There is very less price difference between a hub and switch from my market survey a few months back.

A switch is more intelliggent device than a Hub and will give better perfomance considering it is Rs 50-60 expensive then a hub ;)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
There are two famous Routers. One if Linksys WRT54G which has been stopped In India and now comes as WRT54G2 which is slightly expensive.

Other one is Netgear WGR614 which i have. Considering the Price, it is awesome. Here are lots and lots of reviews of it at Newegg
THanx for this info.. will buy the one wich is less expensive coz i think performance and durability wise all brands are same (netgear, belkin, d-link, linksys...)

As for LAN Card, any will do. Basically they sell Quantum or Intex in Market at that pricing.
AAh.. :) thanx for this update as well.. will see wich brand that shop keeper has got.. :)
------------

Cheers n e-peace....

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
It is again on Ebay for special Deal

*cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130309495981

Price : 1,549.00
Less : 159 (10% discount coupon B0KKRYAGTA

Price : 1390

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

thanx for the info... but are u advertising that product here is it.. ?? Lol.. :D (looking at the Discount coupon code..lol..) jus joking.. :D

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Even i want to get connected with my freind through LAN. But the distance
b\n. mine and his home is <1km. Both of us have DNA A211 1 Router/Modem.
Can we get connected.........:cry:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
^^

thanx for the info... but are u advertising that product here is it.. ?? Lol.. :D (looking at the Discount coupon code..lol..) jus joking.. :D

Nah! it was ebay front page so i saw it and thought of posting so interested people can advantage. It usually sells at 1800 so there is Rs 400 advantage ;)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
ok guys, so today i bought the DLINK DIR300 (wireless router) having 4port+wifi connectivity..

now im having trouble configuring it, as i already have DLINK ADSL Router (DSL 502T) with wich my MTNL Triband (broadband) is provided.. now plz tell me how to set this DIR300 :confused:

this is wat i did:

1.) Installed the DLink LAN card onto the pci slot of my mobo, installed the drivers.
2.) ALso installed the DLINK Wireless router DIR-300 along with its drivers.
(both were easily detected by my OS: Win XP PRO+SP3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

3.) Now, the ADSL (telephone) line (from MTNL triband) wich is coming from the splitter is going at the back of the DLINK ROUTER DSL 502-T (this is my existing wired router)

4.) One RJ45 cable is goin from the "ETHERNET" jack (from the back) of DSL 502T (my existing wired router) to the "INTERNET" jack (at the back) of DIR-300 (my new wireless router)

5.) Another RJ45 cable from the "LAN" port jack of DIR-300 (wireless router) is goin into my D-Link LAN card of my PC.

<<--RJ45 cable from LAN card of PC-->>........going to......... <<--LAN port of DLINK Wireless Router (DIR 300)-->>..........now........ <<-- RJ45 cable from "INTERNET" port of DIR-300 -->> ........going to........ <<--"ETHERNET" port of my exisiting DLINK Wired Router (DSL 502-T)-->> .......now........ <<-- ADSL wire (telephone line) from "ADSL" port of DLINK Wired Router (DSL 502 T) -->>........going to........ <<-- Splitter -->>

========================================================

Now, the address of my existing wired router... DLINK DSL 502T are as follows:

a.) IP Address: 192.1xx.1.1XX
b.) Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
==============================================================

and the address of my new wireless router...DLINK DIR-300 are:

c.) IP Address: 192.1xx.1.1XY
d.) Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
--------------

But, still i cant connect to the net (after ofcourse) enabling both the routers :( i knw im either wrong in the physical connection part or in the address part, so plz help me :(
--------------------

I bought this new wireless router to basically connect my 2 PC's in LAN but jus now for the sake of it, jus testing the wireless router (DIR-300) as well as the wired router (DSL 502 T) only on ONE PC

--------------Plz Note: My existing Router (b4 buying this new D link Wireless Router DIR-300 and D link LAN Card) was connected to my PC via USB connection...

Cheers n e-peace.....

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
==============================
==============================

Also, how can i setup the wifi security codes of say WEP, WPA (TKIP), WPA2 (AEK) etc..etc.. and watever else is required to secure my wifi also, how ca:confused:

as this is my 1st time with wireless stuff, im jus a noob but i do knw tat securing my wifi is really important.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a look @ these threads :p

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54225
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62567

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
@ashu888ashu888 : You dont need so much stuff to be done IMHO.

1. You connected the hardware in right fashion As far as i can see
2. Pop in the Dlink Install CD. It should have easy install GUIDE or something to get you ready with self troubleshoot. I am not sure but this is case mostly
3. There should be some way to access ROUTER settings for WEP etc. Like in Netgear : you login via www.routerlogin.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom